Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > June 2017 - The Wives of Henry VIII, by Antonia Fraser

Comments Showing 1-50 of 564 (564 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments Antonia Fraser's The Wives of Henry VIII was published in 1992, and should be available in libraries, and probably also at large bookstores. It should be available in most formats.

It is a group biography of Henry's wives, and looks at the myths surrounding each wife, as well as the overall story.

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I have this one, Susanna

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments That's great, Skye. (So do I, actually.)

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I know, and I had been hoping it would have been selected for the botm.

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I read this years ago. It was good, though I liked David Starkey's better.

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I wonder if Marian has read that one.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (violaashford) | 4 comments I love Antonia Fraser and plan to buy all of her books when I have room. This one is a bit out-dated now, I think, but I want to read it again.

When we were in England earlier this year, I am pretty sure that we shared the lift in The NationAl Portrait Gallery with Lady Antonia! She was with a friend but I think that she knew that I recognized her because she looked straight at me with those penetrating blue eyes!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments That's really cool, Lisa.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Yes, what an experience. I started the book this afternoon.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) I hope to join you all on this group read. I plan to finish War of the Roses this weekend and so should be able to start this next week. I'm thankful to have found this group!

message 11: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "I wonder if Marian has read that one."

Hi Skye,
Yes,I do have this one and intend on reading it soon:)

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I began to read this last night, Marian, and it's really good! Of course you recommended it to me, too :))

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Matt wrote: "I hope to join you all on this group read. I plan to finish War of the Roses this weekend and so should be able to start this next week. I'm thankful to have found this group!"

It's great to have you Matt; and thanks for all the information on Saint Joan of Arc, too.

message 14: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "I began to read this last night, Marian, and it's really good! Of course you recommended it to me, too :))"

Its easy reading,isnt it Skye:)I was going to mention to you..I looked up David Starkeys book here in my city in Canada "The 6 Wives of Henry the Vlll,and 2 people gave his book a 2 star..maybe his writing is not that great,or,they just didn't like the genre..who knows.Its all in the eyes of the beholder,I say:)

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I learned so much just from the Prologue! I am only reading now about Katherine of Aragon, and she was quite unusual and really Queen material from both sides of her family. Yes, it is easy to read and very engaging, too.

message 16: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "I learned so much just from the Prologue! I am only reading now about Katherine of Aragon, and she was quite unusual and really Queen material from both sides of her family. Yes, it is easy to read..."

Trust me my Friend,you will learn lots!

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I believe you, and this novel is accessible in style. I'm so glad I bought it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments It's a great book, but not a novel. (It's non-fiction history.)

message 19: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "I believe you, and this novel is accessible in style. I'm so glad I bought it."

In David Starkeys book of Henry the Vlll and his 6 Wives Skye,the book is over 1000 pages..:)

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "It's a great book, but not a novel. (It's non-fiction history.)"

I know it's non-fiction history. Are you reading it, Susanna?

message 21: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Marian wrote: "Skye wrote: "I believe you, and this novel is accessible in style. I'm so glad I bought it."

In David Starkeys book of Henry the Vlll and his 6 Wives Skye,the book is over 1000 pages..:)"

That's a long book, especially when we read three books at a time.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments I will probably re-read it, yes.

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments :)

message 24: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "Marian wrote: "Skye wrote: "I believe you, and this novel is accessible in style. I'm so glad I bought it."

In David Starkeys book of Henry the Vlll and his 6 Wives Skye,the book is over 1000 page..."

Im almost finished with "The Frozen Dead" book Skye,so I think I will start reading David Starkey book..you know I wanna..lol!

message 25: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Enjoy, enjoy and remember what I said the other day!!!!

message 26: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "Enjoy, enjoy and remember what I said the other day!!!!"

I remember:)I am just reading here the intro on his book Skye..listen to this...
The Wives of Henry the Vlll is one of the worlds great stories.Indeed,it contains a whole world of literature within itself.It is more far fetched than any soap opera,as sexy and violent as any tabloid,and darker and more disturbing than the legend of Bluebeard.It is both a great love story and a supreme political thriller...and these are just the first few lines of his intro.

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Please give me your updates ( and I know you will) and I will think about buying that one, as well. I think we are partners in crime, btw, I still have the book you sent about Anne Boleyn!!

message 28: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments It's been on my TBR list.

message 29: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "Please give me your updates ( and I know you will) and I will think about buying that one, as well. I think we are partners in crime, btw, I still have the book you sent about Anne Boleyn!!"

I love that story thou on Ann Boleyn Skye:)Its so well written as well:)AND,its fun to read to!

message 30: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I have so many books to read at the moment, and I really want to read that particular book.

message 31: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Skye wrote: "I began to read this last night, Marian, and it's really good! Of course you recommended it to me, too :))"

I remember recommending it to you too Skye. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Guess I did the right thing. Do you agree that it's very erudite but without the dry style which usually accompanies such works of non-fiction ?

message 32: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Skye wrote: "I learned so much just from the Prologue! I am only reading now about Katherine of Aragon, and she was quite unusual and really Queen material from both sides of her family. Yes, it is easy to read..."

And Katherine was one very tenacious woman !

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments More so than I had realized. I am really taken with her description; I always thought she had been a downtrodden, submissive Queen.

message 34: by Skye (last edited May 28, 2017 09:37AM) (new)

Skye | 484 comments Sabrina wrote: "Skye wrote: "I began to read this last night, Marian, and it's really good! Of course you recommended it to me, too :))"

I remember recommending it to you too Skye. I'm glad to hear you're enjoyin..."

You certainly did, Sabrina. You have given me many recommendations: The Brontes, too..

message 35: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Skye wrote: "More so than I had realized. I am really taken with her description; I always thought she had been a downtrodden, submissive Queen."

That was my first impression too. But being the daughter of Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon, she turned out to be a tower of strength !

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Sabrina, I am astonished at Catherine (compared to my initial sparse knowledge of her); she was born into a royal lineage, and her mother, Queen Isabella was a believer in female education and equal rights. This was also handed down to Catherine.

message 37: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "Sabrina, I am astonished at Catherine (compared to my initial sparse knowledge of her); she was born into a royal lineage, and her mother, Queen Isabella was a believer in female education and equa..."

Sounds like your enjoying the book Skye:)Its a great read,just my opinion thou.

message 38: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Yes, her mother raised her to a sense of duty and discipline. Her faith in Catholicism, the Pope and the validity of her marriage never wavered. It was on these things that her strength of character was built. Isabella (an example to her) was not just a Queen in name - but a Queen in fact too, it was she who completed the "Reconquista" (winning back Spain entirely from the Moors).

message 39: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Skye wrote: "Matt wrote: "I hope to join you all on this group read. I plan to finish War of the Roses this weekend and so should be able to start this next week. I'm thankful to have found this group!"

It's g..."

I hope you'll give us your opinion on "War of the Roses", Matt.

message 40: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Lisa wrote: "I love Antonia Fraser and plan to buy all of her books when I have room. This one is a bit out-dated now, I think, but I want to read it again.

When we were in England earlier this year, I am pret..."

I haven't read all of Antonia Fraser's books, but her biography "Mary, Queen of Scots" is written in the style of "Six Wives of Henry VIII"; easy to read but impeccably researched.

message 41: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Marian wrote: "Skye wrote: "Sabrina, I am astonished at Catherine (compared to my initial sparse knowledge of her); she was born into a royal lineage, and her mother, Queen Isabella was a believer in female educa..."

I am, Marian, and it is a real experiment in learning, too.

message 42: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Sabrina wrote: "Yes, her mother raised her to a sense of duty and discipline. Her faith in Catholicism, the Pope and the validity of her marriage never wavered. It was on these things that her strength of characte..."
I have discovered this at the onset; they truly embraced Catholicism and I was unaware that her family had been engaged in the issue of Spain/Moors; a very bloody period of time, it was.

message 43: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Sabrina wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I love Antonia Fraser and plan to buy all of her books when I have room. This one is a bit out-dated now, I think, but I want to read it again.

When we were in England earlier this ye..."
\
I am very interested in reading her book on Marie Antoinette, and this is my first experience with Antonia Frasier.

message 44: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments I'd be very interested in Antonia Fraser's work on Marie-Antoinette. I've never yet found a biography of Marie-Antoinette, that really satisfied me.
At the age of 14, I read "The Queen's Confession" by Victoria Holt. The book impressed me very much at the time , but one can hardly call Victoria Holt a historian. Although she did write quite a few historical novels under the name Jean Plaidy.

message 45: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "Marian wrote: "Skye wrote: "Sabrina, I am astonished at Catherine (compared to my initial sparse knowledge of her); she was born into a royal lineage, and her mother, Queen Isabella was a believer ..."

My next book of Antonia Fraser I think will be "Mary,Queen of Scotts".

message 46: by Marian (new)

Marian Sabrina wrote: "I'd be very interested in Antonia Fraser's work on Marie-Antoinette. I've never yet found a biography of Marie-Antoinette, that really satisfied me.
At the age of 14, I read "The Queen's Confession..."

Sabrina,hello to you:)If I may,lrecommend to you Antonia Fraser's book of Marie Antoinette..I just loved it!!

message 47: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Michel | 108 comments Hi Marian ! Yes, thanks for recommending the Marie-Antoinette biography - I think I'll really enjoy it. In my opinion, Antonia Fraser always delivers, her "Mary Queen of Scots" was great too. I'll let you know what I think of the Marie-Antoinette biography, in any case. ;)

message 48: by Marian (new)

Marian Sabrina wrote: "Hi Marian ! Yes, thanks for recommending the Marie-Antoinette biography - I think I'll really enjoy it. In my opinion, Antonia Fraser always delivers, her "Mary Queen of Scots" was great too. I'll ..."

Thank you Sabrina for letting me know about Mary Queen of Scotts..it will not be for awhile,but I will read it!I am currently reading a David Starkey book..on Henry the Vlll and his 6 wives..its ok.I just started it not to many days ago.

message 49: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Sabrina wrote: "I'd be very interested in Antonia Fraser's work on Marie-Antoinette. I've never yet found a biography of Marie-Antoinette, that really satisfied me.
At the age of 14, I read "The Queen's Confession..."

Yes, I recall that book because I am a diehard fan of Victoria Holt~

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments Her bio of Marie Antoinette is very good. Though not a happy ending, obviously!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12