« previous 1

message 1: by W (new)

W | 37 comments High Noon
Duel at Diablo
The Quick and the Dead

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

message 3: by W (new)

W | 37 comments Yes,Eastwood was good in western roles.

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments And as Dirty Harry!!!!!

message 5: by Ray (new)

Ray | 769 comments Oulaw Josie Wales....
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Tombstone
The Shootist

message 6: by W (new)

W | 37 comments As Dirty Harry too and in diverse roles and as a director as well.

message 7: by W (new)

W | 37 comments Though not a western,one of my favorite Eastwood movies is The Bridges of Madison County,which he directed and starred in as well.

message 8: by Ray (new)

Ray | 769 comments I thought he was pretty good in Absolute Power with Gene Hackman. Did you see Trouble with the Curve or Grand Torino? they were really good too.

UNFORGIVEN....AWESOME

message 9: by W (new)

W | 37 comments I saw Unforgiven,it was good.Haven't seen the others.

message 10: by Ray (new)

Ray | 769 comments oh you have to see Grand Tourino, awesome movie, very real, very good. Absolute Power I liked a lot.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Wsm wrote: "As Dirty Harry too and in diverse roles and as a director as well."

Yes,!!!!!

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Wsm wrote: "I saw Unforgiven,it was good.Haven't seen the others."

They've been running that on television every night.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul West (paulwwest) | 0 comments I loved Gun Smoke and Bonanza, along with several other Westerns on TV.

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Yes, I remember them, too.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul West (paulwwest) | 0 comments I guess that ages me. I also enjoyed Hop Along Cassidy, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, Have Gun Will Travel, and many others, lol. I wish those kinds of TV shows would return.

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments I was very little; I loved Rin Tin Tin, too.

message 17: by Aesaan (new)

Aesaan (highlycaffeinatedreader) | 168 comments Django Unchained

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul West (paulwwest) | 0 comments Skye wrote: "I was very little; I loved Rin Tin Tin, too." Me too.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul West (paulwwest) | 0 comments Aesaan wrote: "Django Unchained" I don't remember that one.

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Paul wrote: "Aesaan wrote: "Django Unchained" I don't remember that one."

Neither do I.

message 21: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Paul wrote: "Skye wrote: "I was very little; I loved Rin Tin Tin, too." Me too."

:))

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Wagon Train

message 23: by Aesaan (new)

Aesaan (highlycaffeinatedreader) | 168 comments Paul, Skye,
Django Unchained (2012)
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Staring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson
Trailer: https://youtu.be/eUdM9vrCbow

message 24: by Aesaan (new)

Aesaan (highlycaffeinatedreader) | 168 comments I haven't watched most of the old western movies and I remembered this one and thought to mention

message 25: by Franky (new)

Franky | 177 comments I really liked High Noon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

message 26: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Aesaan wrote: "Paul, Skye,
Django Unchained (2012)
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Staring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson
Trailer: https://youtu.be/eUdM9vrCbow"

Thank you; I really like some of these actors: adore Kerry Washington from Scandal.

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Franky wrote: "I really liked High Noon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

Yes, High Noon was one of the best!!!!!

message 28: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Cat Ballou

message 29: by Paul (new)

Paul West (paulwwest) | 0 comments How about "The Magnificent Seven?"

message 30: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Yes, yes, Yul Brynner!!!!!

message 31: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments A Fistful of Dollars

message 32: by W (new)

W | 37 comments Yellow Sky
The Big Country
(Both starring Gregory Peck)

message 33: by W (new)

W | 37 comments The Searchers

message 34: by Sean, Moderator (last edited May 25, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Sean Peters | 9523 comments Mod
Loads of great westerns

The Magnificent Seven(to me the best ever made)
High Noon
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Big Country
True Grit(original)
Stagecoach(original)
Once Upon A Time In The West
Django Unchained
Gunfight At The OK Corral(40's and 50's)
3.10 To Yuma(brilliant acting)
Shane
Unforgiven
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
The Gunfighter
How The West Was Won
Ride The High Country(a last farewell western from Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott)
and of course James Stewart in
The Far Country
The Man from Laramie
The Naked Spur

and Kirk Douglas in his favourite films of his...

Lonely Are The Brave

and

The Searchers

message 35: by Sean, Moderator (new)

and

Rio Bravo
Then Wild Bunch
My Darling Clementine
The Red Badge Of Courage
Red River

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Great list, Sean!

message 37: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 360 comments Sean wrote: "Loads of great westerns

I'm glad Sean mentioned some of the still criminally underrated James Stewart/Anthony Mann westerns so I don't have to do - except

Winchester 73

Most of my other faves have been mentioned, but I also like
Yellow Sky (beautiful Noir Western, as is:)
The Ox-Box Indicent
The Fastest Gun Alive
The Tin Star
and how about the Randolph Scott/Budd Boetticher films like
Seven Men From Now
Ride Lonesome
The Tall T

and
Bad Day at Black Rock
Track of the Cat
Pursued
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Hondo

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments Both Young Guns. Others mentioned are good also.

message 39: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes, I remember so well the great western series,

Gunsmoke, Bononza and especially High Chapparral

message 40: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments Cat Ballou

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (nightowl4) | 11 comments Magnificent Seven
Unforgiven

message 42: by Marie (new)

Marie | 260 comments Favorites are:

Tombstone
True Grit (original)
Big Jake
Magnificent Seven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Shendandoah

message 43: by Gary (last edited Nov 13, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 1112 comments All three of John Ford's cavalry trilogy are part of my list
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Fort Apache
Rio Grande

Watching Fonda and Wayne in their scenes together in Fort Apache is like watching a master class in screen acting. Then there is the grown up Shirley Temple holding her own with those two.

Lots of good stuff in the three films for the Ford rep company. Ben Johnson and Victor McLaughlin, are notable.

message 44: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale The Cowboys. The only John Wayne Western John Williams wrote music for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_DX...

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill Greenwood | 21 comments I love me a good western. The original "Magnificent Seven" is a standout, notably for its origin material, and incredible theme music.
I've always been a John Wayne fan. "The Cowboys" has been a long favorite, along with "True Grit", of course. However, I have gradually come to admire "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" more and more over the years. To really grasp how good it is, you have to watch it twice, a year or so apart. On the second viewing, if you don't choke up during the first scene, you're probably beyond redemption.
This will also happen to you if you watch "Lonesome Dove" after reading the book. The very first time you see Anjelica Huston on-screen, and realize she is Gus's great love Clara Allen, your heart should want to break.
There's lots of bad westerns, some good westerns, and a short list of really, really good westerns. It's a great genre that can be visited and revisited for all sorts of reasons.

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale One reason The Cowboys is my favorite Western is the performance turned out by the younger cast members...the kids...not that he music of John Williams doesn't help, Bill.

The John Wayne version of True Grit supplied one of watchmojo.com's Top 10 movie insults, if I remember correctly (and it may have been in the Honorable Mentions section): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdeHU...

Of course #9 is also one of the best... . If I'm wrong about the John Wayne insult, I will apologize for being wrong.

message 47: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Another great western , not mentioned much, but two great stars in.

1959 Last Train From Gun Hill

With Kirk Douglas and the great Anthony Quinn

also Earl Holliman, Carolyn Jones, Brad Dexter.

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale That one I never heard of, Sean.

message 49: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 360 comments I have. Watched it as a kid several times. Anthony Quinn was one of my favourite actors as a kid

message 50: by Bill (new)

Bill Greenwood | 21 comments Amber wrote: "One reason The Cowboys is my favorite Western is the performance turned out by the younger cast members...the kids...not that he music of John Williams doesn't help, Bill.

The John Wayne version o..."

Williams' score definitely adds to the whoe "The Cowboys" experience, doesn't it? From top to bottom of the cast list, there are just a ton of standout performances.
A lot of my favorite westerns are great simply because of one simple, pivotal scene. For example, the greatest (IMHO) bit in "Big Jake" is the scene between Richard Boone and the Duke, when the money exchange is about to happen.
Of course the shootout in "True Grit" is simply one of the great celluloid scenes of all time. If you haven't scene the remake of "True Grit", watch it tonight or tomorrow night. I guarantee you'll enjoy it. What makes it great is that Jeff Bridges went to great effort to make sure he was portraying Rooster Cogburn and not simply re-interpreting John Wayne. And by all means, read the book. It is an absolute joy to read.

« previous 1