Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) Lord of Shadows discussion

thoughts about Lord of shadows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

giulia_arg I loved it but the ending broke my heart. I loved Diana story and her interaction with Gwyn. We got to see another side of Kieran. Ty and Kit are adorable.

Emily giulia_argentini wrote: "I loved it but the ending broke my heart. I loved Diana story and her interaction with Gwyn. We got to see another side of Kieran. Ty and Kit are adorable."

Totally agree with everything you said. (view spoiler)

Hermione Granger Emowl wrote: "giulia_argentini wrote: "I loved it but the ending broke my heart. I loved Diana story and her interaction with Gwyn. We got to see another side of Kieran. Ty and Kit are adorable."

Totally agree ..."

(view spoiler)

Emily Hermione wrote: "Emowl wrote: "giulia_argentini wrote: "I loved it but the ending broke my heart. I loved Diana story and her interaction with Gwyn. We got to see another side of Kieran. Ty and Kit are adorable."

..."
(view spoiler)

giulia_arg I (view spoiler)

Emily (view spoiler)

Jennifer (view spoiler)

Emily Jennifer wrote: " There is a definite theme going on in this series- how far would you go for someone you love. Alec says Jace would burn the world down to save Clary... it is like Cassie is testing us with this bo..."

(view spoiler)

Jennifer Emowl wrote: "Jennifer wrote: " There is a definite theme going on in this series- how far would you go for someone you love. Alec says Jace would burn the world down to save Clary... it is like Cassie is testin..."
I think it is just his nature and how young he was when he dedicated himself to the kids and Emma! He has been lying to protect them all since he was 12

giulia_arg (view spoiler)

Emily giulia_argentini wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

giulia_arg What do you think about Jamie? Is he going to be (view spoiler) love interest in Queen of air and Darkness and then in the Wicked Powers ? I know she hasn't said yet who are going to be the main characters ( personally i think Kit and Ty) but i think we will still see the other Blackthorns

message 13: by Danny (last edited May 29, 2017 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danny I doubt that Jaime will end up being (view spoiler) love interest largely because of their age disparity. (view spoiler). In term's of love interest, (view spoiler).

As for necromancy being used again for resurrection, I think that it's possible, so long as the the one intended to be revived's corpse is still intact. The Shadowhunter funeral tradition involves cremation, so someone would have to make off with (view spoiler) body to be successful, hope that Malcom's hands of Glory weren't destroyed by the Clave (if they're necessary), that the Hands' of Glory can be recycled in another ceremony, & that (view spoiler). If ashes are all that remain, then I think only something perhaps more powerful than an Angel or Prince of Hell could pull off a resurrection from only ashes to work with.

I really want to know if the Riders's divine parent Mannan is actually a god or not, or perhaps simply a metaphor. By a god, I mean not just a really powerful Angel or Fallen Angel, but an actual deity, perhaps independent of Seraphic or Infernal Hierarchy. Does this series' cosmology allow the possibility of independent uncreated (at least by the deity that Raziel referred to in COG as glory belonging solely to) deities? Sort of like how the Old Gods of Dragon Age are said to not be part of the Maker's "plan", or like the Creating Aedra of Elder Scrolls who must suffer meddling Daedra who didn't participate in creation, but are uncreated as well?

Emily Danny wrote: "I doubt that Jaime will end up being [spoilers removed] love interest largely because of their age disparity. [spoilers removed]. In term's of love interest, [spoilers removed].

As for necromancy ..."

Yeah, I also don't think Jaime and (view spoiler) will become a thing. Not only is there a large age difference, but it felt to me that Jaime was just using her and treating her like a little kid to get what he wanted. And I think (view spoiler)

I really hope the Riders of Mannan are touched more on in QoAaD, especially since (view spoiler). I think Mannan is more of an ancient, powerful faerie that's worshiped as a god, not an actual god, but I'm really not sure.

giulia_arg There are theories about the warlock at the shadow market in London being Ragnor Fell ... thoughts about that?

message 16: by Ash (last edited May 29, 2017 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Williams I am so worried about Julian, I don't know if he can cope with (view spoiler), I hope Ty leans on Kit for support. Cassie gave us so many lifelines towards the end and then dashed them all at once. How far do you think the Cohort will go now with chaos at the end of the book fuelling their fire? The momentum it will help them gain is scary. What do you think is going on with the warlocks?? Maybe the Unseelie King is behind that too? I'd never thought of Ash being the seelie queen and sebastion's child, what an interesting theory!

Emily It's possible with all of this necromancy happening in TDA, but I doubt it. They could easily be some other warlock that has the same mark/demon parentage. Or it could be someone impersonating Ragnor.

Autumn Miller ~ autumnbookreads I am about 60% positive that Ash is the Seelie Queen and Sebastian's son and if he isn't, then that person that the Queen wants to rescue from the Unseelie King is. She never told us who the person was that the King took but that they were important enough to her to work with the Shadowhunters to get them back. The Queen never really cared about anyone in the other books enough to put her neck out there like that. She thought Sebastian was beautiful and all but she didn't love him. There is also the fact that the Queen hasn't been seen by anyone from the outside world since that final conversation she had with Sebastian in CoHF after Clary, Simon, Isabelle, Jace, and Alec used the portal in her realm. She refused to show up for the council meeting when the Cold Peace was signed and she isn't mentioned again. It is very possible that she had a baby that no one outside of her close advisors knew about.

I really hope that Clary does not die because I would be devastated but I was looking at interviews with Cassandra Clare and she said that The Wicked Powers is going to take place three years after The Queen of Air and Darkness. Clary says that she will not die in the future but SOON. If she does in fact die (cross fingers that she doesn't), she will most likely die in The Queen of Air and Darkness. If Clary survives that book, I think her chances of living severely increase after that.

The thing I am most worried about right now is Cortana and what it did to the Mortal Sword?! I have absolutely no idea how it did that. I understand that it can 'cut through anything' but the Mortal Sword? I would have thought that was one of the few things it couldn't break because it was a holy object given by the angel. Did Cortana absorb its power and now Cortana is the equivalent of the Mortal Sword?

I also hate to admit it, but I am VERY scared for Julian in the next book. I think he will completely lose it. He has said/thought many times that he would do anything for his family and any boundaries/reservations he had will be gone now (view spoiler). Livvy wasn't a sibling to Julian, she was more of his daughter. It won't feel to him like the the loss of a sibling (while that may be horrible). He will feel it like the loss of his child which is probably the most horrible form of grief out there. I have no doubt that it is going to take a miracle for Emma and his family to pull him back from the brink of no return. I see a very tough road ahead for him and Ty too. I don't know how Ty will react. At the end, Ty fell down like he felt (view spoiler). I don't know if Kit will be able to bring Ty out of his despair either. Ugh. Why did Cassandra Clare have to do this?!

message 19: by Danny (last edited May 30, 2017 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danny With the mention of a liquid black substance, or ooze coming out of the broken Mortal Sword, I'm willing to venture a guess that its due to (view spoiler), & that it weakened the sword to the point that Cortana have an easier time cutting through it, as well as Emma being able to power up her great sword more than might have been usual for her recent ancestors due to her parabatai bond. Remember that in Clockwork Princess, Jem's uncle claimed that its believed that Cortana has a feather from Raziel in it's handle.

Of course, the Cohort will likely try to spin what happened to the Mortal Sword as having been due to an "undead" hold the sword, until the Silent Brothers get to examine the Mortal Sword's pieces, & the black substance that oozed from it. But at least here's the silver lining, Jia could hypothetically stall the Cohort for a long time in voting over the L.A. Institute's investiture due to the Mortal Sword being traditionally required for the ceremonial questions, or if its decided to have the investiture come forward anyway, Diana can feel more comfortable submitting her own name for institute head without the threat of the Mortal Sword outing her. Let's face it, Diana without the Mortal Sword would face far less opposition to a post-Annabel public breakdown than either Helen or Aline would. That, & the Cohort is likely to divide their forces or redirect them completely to (view spoiler).

message 20: by Zaida (last edited May 30, 2017 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaida i feel so sad right now... my heart is broken, it´s just so unfair that the moment when the family is finally complete THIS HAPPENS! so painful having to watch the family falling apart again so unreal... i knew the ending was going to be shocking, i felt pretty bad for alec and his father and for the consecuences for jules and emma but... that just not right, something has to be done and i don´t care what!, i mean jules and emma could try a healing rune together i don´t know. i kept thinking over and over while reading this book, the parts where jules is remembering all his sweet memories with his siblings and i kept thinking oh no... someone it´s gonna die just like max because stuff like this happens all the time BUT still i wasn't prepare this ending. i loved this book and am in love with cassie but i feel so sad.

Jenny I have so many feelings about everything. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Danny (last edited May 31, 2017 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danny Perhaps both Julian & Emma might die near the end of Queen of Air & Darkness, possibly by Emma's own hand.

message 23: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Williams I think if Julian got to the point where he was endangering others, perhaps even the rest of his family, because of how much grief, responsibility and pain has warped him, Emma would put him down. I just really hope he doesn't ever fall that far.

message 24: by Jenny (last edited May 31, 2017 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny Ash wrote: "I think if Julian got to the point where he was endangering others, perhaps even the rest of his family, because of how much grief, responsibility and pain has warped him, Emma would put him down. ..."

Yeah and that would be the ultimate sad ending. Emma having to kill her true love because he's endangering his family and everyone else. I really hope the ending of LOS isn't the catalyst for Julian to lose it. I really hope the story doesn't go that dark. (But it'd be quite interesting if it did) And I really don't think that strongly that it will.

Ralitsa Radeva Ok but can we just talk about the Mark/Christina/Kieran situation? (view spoiler) What do you guys think?

Jenny ReiraRaven wrote: "Ok but can we just talk about the Mark/Christina/Kieran situation? [spoilers removed] What do you guys think?"

I would love to think it could be on the level of what Will, Tessa and Jem have. They all 3 love each other. The only difference would be that Mark and Kieran have romantic love where Will and Jem have brotherly love. Both guys love the girl and she loves both of them too.

message 27: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Williams Jenny wrote: "ReiraRaven wrote: "Ok but can we just talk about the Mark/Christina/Kieran situation? [spoilers removed] What do you guys think?"

I would love to think it could be on the level of what Will, Tessa..."

maybe that could work as faerie's have slightly different practices regarding love, they could all equally be together and love each other? I just want a happy ending for them all, despite myself I really love Kieran

Autumn Miller ~ autumnbookreads I was just thinking about how Cassandra Clare said that the ending would be even more heartbreaking than Clockwork Princess. What if Julian really does go off the deep end because of Livvy and he ends up being the villain for The Wicked Powers series?! That would truly be heartbreaking if the whole series, they were trying to kill Julian.
I think it's a little out there but it's a theory.

message 29: by Emily (last edited May 31, 2017 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily I'm not sure if Cassie would kill off the two main characters, but it's definitely a possibility, especially with (view spoiler). These two things might be what kills them. Julian is shown to be kind of rash and "scary" at points, and I can see him and/or Emma dying at the end of QoAaD.

Also, I see Malcolm and Annabel's relationship as sort of a metaphor for Julian and Emma's. Their love was forbidden and ended terribly for them both. (view spoiler) I hope that maybe Julian and Emma will learn from them and not make the same mistakes, but I doubt it.

I don't think Julian will become the villain for TWP. I think his (and Emma's) story arc will be wrapped up in QoAaD.

Concerning Mark/Cristina/Kieran, I personally don't ship Kieran with either Mark or Cristina, although I do respect him as a character. Honestly at this point this triangle could go so many ways (Mark/Cristina, Cristina/Kieran, Mark/Kieran) especially since Cassie is known for writing complicated relationships and has hinted at each pairing.

Hermione Granger I think that Malcolm and Annabel's relationship kinda parallels Julian and Emma's relationship too, but as the protagonists of the story I think they would be better than the villain and though Julian can be morally gray sometimes I think he still won't cross that line that Malcolm did because ultimately he's going to be better than that. We will probably see Julian struggle with it but I think Cassie will still emphasize that however similar Julian and Malcolm may be, Julian will choose differently than Malcolm and do the right thing. I feel like that's the kind of thing that happens in most books, showing how at the core, the protagonist is different than the villain and they choose to do different things with their pain and that's what makes them a better person. Unless of course Cassie decides to go a darker route, then it'll end up different, but that's just what I think.

For the Mark/Cristina/Kieran thing, I don't think Mark and Kieran would be a thing because I feel like Mark is realizing that his relationship with Kieran was just out of necessity at that time, but it is all still very up in the air. But I hope Mark and Cristina end up together at the end.

Emily Hermione wrote: "I think that Malcolm and Annabel's relationship kinda parallels Julian and Emma's relationship too, but as the protagonists of the story I think they would be better than the villain and though Jul..."

Yeah, I definitely ship Mark and Cristina. But all three of these characters are changing and growing and I'm really unsure how the relationships between them will change too.

It's kind of hard to predict what Cassie will do (for Emma/Julian and Mark/Cristina/Kieran) since she always writes huge plot twists in her series finales.

a.n.j.i About Livvy
I don't think she'll come back. If she's dead, I hope she doesn't. I don't like fake deaths, it makes the death loose it's impact. I could see Julian going after this and not deciding against it until the last minute. I think the grief and anger will make him purposely rely on the curses power to get his revenge. I could also maybe see him dying? and being bought back? idk if that would end his parabatai bond. That or the angel that Sebastian took the wings from in TMI will help with their bond, CC said he would show back up.

About Sebastian's potential kid:
That Ash kid is definitely him in my mind. That hair color and eye color was more than a coincidence. I think the Unseelie King stole him. Remember the queen says he stole someone from her? and his reaction when Dru came in was a bit anxious and hopeful.

I haven't seen anyone mention this but I think the reason the phouka asked for Emma's stele was to give it to the kid. Asking for the Stele seemed like a random request. I do think he and Dru could become a thing. They could be the potential leads for the last series if its not Kit and Ty.

Jamie's interaction with her was kind of weird to me, why would he forget his bag that contains the reason he's running? and then come back and get it but we never see him do so?

I'm worried about how things left off, someone (Kieran, Mark, Helen) could be held captive. The cohort has a lot of ammo now with what happened (even though they pushed things to get there) I think they'll try and remove Jia from her consul position too. Now that the Mortal Sword isn't a thing, they can lie and get away with anything basically.

Hermione Granger a.n.j.i. wrote: "About Livvy
I don't think she'll come back. If she's dead, I hope she doesn't. I don't like fake deaths, it makes the death loose it's impact. I could see Julian going after this and not deciding a..."

I think that's a good theory with the potential Sebastian kid. I think maybe he took the stele because he knew it was something Emma valued? But yeah it did seem a bit strange that he apparently wanted the stele for the handle. And I thought that about Dru and the kid too, but apparently Cassie said Jaime's love interest would be hinted in this book and that means it has to be Dru?! But that makes no sense because Dru is like 13 and Jaime is at least 18, so I really don't know. AND SAME the Jaime thing with the bag was really weird and bothered me that seemed incredibly irresponsible and also I was confused since Dru was holding the heirloom when he came and took his bag like what happened to it did he get it back and that's what took her out of that room or does Dru still have it somewhere? And with the Mortal Sword, maybe Cortana has the powers of the Mortal Sword now and the Clave will try to take it from Emma?

Danny If the Cohort can lie, then so can others as well. Diana now has nothing holding her back from submitting herself for LA Institute head. Also, if the Silent Brothers &/or the Iron Sisters find a similarity in the black ooze which came out of the Mortal Sword, and the Blight samples they received, & the Cohort implied that they were liars or part of some conspiracy, that would be very dangerous for the Cohort, as I doubt that would want to risk burning a bridge (or two) by alienating the Silent Brothers or Iron Sisters. Now, if the Faerie Courts end up consolidated under the Seelie Queen (she'd then be the Faerie Queen) after an war with the Unseelie King, Julian & Emma's relationship is publicly found out, Julian blows up the Parabatai bond root, it's found out that the Seelie Queen has a copy of the Black Book (via Julian's phone camera), Ash's existence being discovered by the Clave, &/or etc. then I could imagine Jia being forced from power (if that's even legal). All it would take is a couple or more of these things occurring, & I'm almost certain that the Seelie Queen is going to end up also becoming Queen of Air & Darkness of the Unseelie Court. Though in any such situation, I doubt that the Downworlders would just submit to a registry. I could actually envision there being a repeat of the Hunts in between QoAaD, & TWP, where the Shadow World exhausts itself (despite Faerie largely being a secure base, & a Cohort controlled Clave probably indiscriminately using the Mortal Cup to create an assembly line of indoctrinated Shadowhunters), & there's a second great demon incursion that begins in TWP.

Btw, I just had this thought but, what if the Unseelie King's Blight is also causing the Warlock sickness? Both Seraphic & Demonic energies could be being squeezed off simultaneously.

message 35: by a.n.j.i (last edited May 31, 2017 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

a.n.j.i Danny wrote: "If the Cohort can lie, then so can others as well. Diana now has nothing holding her back from submitting herself for LA Institute head. Also, if the Silent Brothers &/or the Iron Sisters find a si..."

Yes glad I'm not the only one that thought that about Jamie. What did he do just jump in and take it from her hand and leave? Seems odd. Yeah the age difference is the main thing that makes me think no. But one of them could get stuck in fairy for a bit and cause a shift in their age gap. The only other love interest for Jamie, I imagine is someone from the cohort? Annabel? There's only so many other females or males lol!

Hermione wrote: "a.n.j.i. wrote: "About Livvy
I don't think she'll come back. If she's dead, I hope she doesn't. I don't like fake deaths, it makes the death loose it's impact. I could see Julian going after this a..."

I think the cohort will deff gain more power next book, I have feeling they have a lot of chess pieces set up behind the scenes. They seem to be mimicking history (WWII) so I think they'll incite fear among the shadowhunters and gain more followers. I was thinking maybe they could cause problems for Jia by saying she's incompetent and let chaos ensue at the meeting. And that could snow ball into what you said. The Blackthorns don't have much sway, remember Julian or Emma says they are very isolated and don't know many outsiders. They (and Diana) have also broken legitimate laws whereas, so far, it seems the cohorts just been manipulative.

The warlocks powers deff seem related to that! If it's not that, I was thinking something with eh cohort. I don't think hat's it but I could totally see the cohort working with the enemy to make things look bad and get more people on their side.

a.n.j.i I also think knowing a fairy's true name will come into play. It was mentioned to many times not too.

message 37: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Williams Who do you think kits mother is? CC said recently that there are several clues in LoS.

message 38: by a.n.j.i (last edited May 31, 2017 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

a.n.j.i Ash wrote: "Who do you think kits mother is? CC said recently that there are several clues in LoS."

Someone else just posted a topic about this so I'll just repeat, both comments about his mother were from downworlders not shadowhunters. So he could be part something else? I think his mom is the Herondale though? I'm not sure if Johnny was said to be the Herondale. Either way both times the Rider and that Hypatia characters noticed him it seemed that his mother was significant to them. Neither reference came off as his mother being bad, like the way they classically have been viewing shadowhunters. If anything it seemed they had pity for her and that she was important to them in some regard.

It'll probably be someone that ties in with the Last Hours. If Kit will be a main character in TWP then we're going to have to tie in all the books somehow

Danny Eh, I'm kind of hoping for Dru to be one of the main characters in TWP, & it's supposed to center around two of the younger Blackthorns & to parallel the Arthurian Legend loosely (Ash?), so by process of deduction, if that still stands, it'll likely be Ty & Dru since Tavvy would be about 10 or 11 in TWP (I'd be very surprised if he's one of the main characters). The series about two gay characters being at the center could always be that upcoming Magnus series with Magnus & Alec central to it, unless of course CC has stated that she wasn't referring to that series.

a.n.j.i Danny wrote: "Eh, I'm kind of hoping for Dru to be one of the main characters in TWP, & it's supposed to center around two of the younger Blackthorns & to parallel the Arthurian Legend loosely (Ash?), so by proc..."

Oh I didn't know that about the Arthurian thing, interesting. Dru is definitely on my map more for being the next MC. I think it'll either be her and that fairy kid or Ty and Kit. I wanna say the comment about gay main characters was referencing TWP specifically or at least a YA series (The Magnus/Alec one is adult). The only reason I would think it's not Dru and Ty is that one, our MC's have always been love interests and two, I don't think we'll go super Blackthorn centric again. They're very focused on in this book and will be again in the Last Hours. Ty and Kit have the advantage of tying in both the TID/TMI series and TDA/TLH together because of their bloodlines. Ty and Kit would be what around 18 by that time? and Dru would be 16? So the age aspect works in her favor more though.

Danny Maybe TWP could have four main characters with it being Dru-Ash, & Ty-Kit? Though that's only if they either don't become Parabatai, or Julian uses the nuclear option & digs out the root of Parabatai. I'm pretty sure that TWP was said to have two of the younger Blackthorns at the fore again.

I'm pretty sure that TLH will have James & Lucie as the main characters, though with other characters having POV's.

message 42: by a.n.j.i (last edited May 31, 2017 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

a.n.j.i Danny wrote: "Maybe TWP could have four main characters with it being Dru-Ash, & Ty-Kit? Though that's only if they either don't become Parabatai, or Julian uses the nuclear option & digs out the root of Parabat..."

I could totally see that! We're moving towards more thorough multiple POVs anyways. I haven't kept up with any news about the series but I just looked it up and read it will be on two younger Blackthorns and a Herondale that is not Jace so totally could be Dru, Ty and Kit and maybe even Ash (who could start out as a antagonist). I'll admit I'm not sold on Dru yet, I'll need more interactions with her. And *face palm* I totally forgot about James and Lucie for TLH, totally not love interests obviously, lol.

Either way I'm going to be like 50 but the time all these series are out

Danny I actually think that TWP will start off with a large scale war/conflict in the Shadow World that's been raging for years (a second Hunts) in which the unified Faerie, Downworlders, & some sympathetic Nephilim are fighting a Cohort controlled Clave that's employing the Mortal Cup indiscriminately (like Valentine is said to have wanted to use it in is youth) in order to try to increase their forces, & then this conflict gives way to a Second Demonic Incursion that could dominate the second & third TWP books.

Jenny Well if she definitely said that TWP will have 2 younger Blackthorns plus a Herondale as the main characters then that's got to be Dru Ty and Kit. I feel like Kit might be the main protagonist with Ty and Dru with frequent POVs. And I definitely wouldn't rule out Dru and Jaime. Especially with all this time spent in Faerie. Anything can happen with time there.

Speaking of which, Clary and Jace have been there awhile. I wonder if that's going to affect them at all. They could come back and be a lot younger or older than Alex and Izzy. Just a random thought.

a.n.j.i Danny wrote: "I actually think that TWP will start off with a large scale war/conflict in the Shadow World that's been raging for years (a second Hunts) in which the unified Faerie, Downworlders, & some sympathe..."

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I think the Clave will be the big bad, they've been building and building to that and I read the cohort stuff will continue in TWP. It'll cause a civil war type situation within the Nephilim. Which could bring in other creatures, greater demons like you said (we haven't seem them in a while) and even Angels themselves could be forced to come in. And of course, a divide between the Nephilim would bring in other downworlders. Plus if you read the shadowhunter rhyme the reference to The Wicked Powers seems ominous. Like the shadowhunters can call on it but they can't control who it's directed towards, queue mass chaos.

We're totally going off topic from LoS, sorry everyone :p

message 46: by Kristina (last edited May 31, 2017 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristina I've just read a reply from Cassie about QoAaD and from her answer I don't believe Julian will go bad because of Livvy's death in LOS. She mentions grief becoming something positive and transformative.

"I would say there are aspects that are out of the frying pan into the fire, because if the danger to the characters was over there would be no third book — their adventures and experiences would be done. And in a lot of ways, TWP is almost a continuation of TDA: while Emma and Jules cease to be the main narrators, we move forward with a lot of the same characters from TDA — and that does include some of the same sources of evil and problems. So don’t look to those all to be solved forever.

Emotionally, I think Queen of Air and Darkness will not, though I can understand why one might worry, be an unremitting tragedyfest! Even though there are bitter losses sustained in Lord of Shadows, part of living is the process of making meaning out of death. Though the deaths in LoS were planned for a long long time, I will say that during the writing of LoS I lost someone very very close to me. My stepfather, on whom Luke was based, died suddenly. So for me this is a very personal story as while I was writing it I was experiencing what it means to have a huge hole of grief punched right through your world.

I’ll talk more about this later, when everyone’s read the book, but for me the third book is in a big part about how grief changes people in ways that are sad, transforming, deepening, even positive; how death doesn’t have to be a pointless waste — how you can honor someone’s memory in a way that changes the world. In QuaD are funny parts, and there are happy romantic parts and friendship fuzzies and squee parts, because life is a mosaic of feelings and because loss doesn’t mean you’ll never laugh again, and you may value those good moments even more than you would have before. As the book’s dedication says, Your wounds are the place the Light enters you."

Hermione Granger Kristina wrote: "I've just read a reply from Cassie about QoAaD and from her answer I don't believe Julian will go bad because of Livvy's death in LOS. She mentions grief becoming something positive and transformat..."

YAY and beautifully said by Cassie but ALSO DIDN'T SHE STILL SAY THE ENDING OF QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS WOULD BE MORE PAINFUL THAN CLOCKWORK PRINCESS? AHHHH

But also I think TWP will probably focus more on the Cohort then? Because I think the stuff with Unseelie King will be resolved in the next book but I think the Cohort may be an ongoing thing they're still dealing with. Also the same characters makes me pretty sure TWP will be about Ty and Kit.

message 48: by Emily (last edited May 31, 2017 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Kristina wrote: "I've just read a reply from Cassie about QoAaD and from her answer I don't believe Julian will go bad because of Livvy's death in LOS. She mentions grief becoming something positive and transformat..."

Oh, yes! I remember reading this on her tumblr, I think, a little while ago, but completely forgot about it. The thing about tragedy is that it can either bring people together or tear them apart. But now, reading over her response, I definitely agree with you that Julian will likely take this death to heart and grow from it and hopefully not turn into what many of us fear he'll turn into.

Hermione wrote: "Kristina wrote: "I've just read a reply from Cassie about QoAaD and from her answer I don't believe Julian will go bad because of Livvy's death in LOS. She mentions grief becoming something positiv..."

Personally, the ending of Clockwork Princess didn't hit me that hard. I felt like it ended the best way that it could've with all the circumstances.

And yeah, the Cohort isn't going away any time soon. I mean take history and what we're living through now. Prejudices like this don't go away overnight.

a.n.j.i What do you guys think about Cortana? I know it's a popular theory that it could break the parabatai bond, which seems even more possible after this book.

By now, Cortana has absorbed power from the black volume, a rider and the mortal sword and who knows what else before. I'm thinking even more now that it could break the parabatai bond BUT I also remember Arthur's story, where Emma or Julian say "but Cortana has never been broken"... hmm, could signify that it too, will break? And, if it does break what does that mean? Could it release all the powers that it's absorbed? If it is used to break the parabatai bond could it be that Emma is forced to kill Julian with it? With that resulting in him either coming back with aid from the Black Volume or Cortana absorbing the curse (think heavenly fire in TMI)?

I still think Jules will go a little mad, maybe not intentionally but right now they don't have any feasible options since Robert's gone. So I think the curse will continue to ensue.

Autumn Miller ~ autumnbookreads I know most people want the sword to break the Parabatai bond but how? I really can't think of a way to use the sword to break it. The bond isn't a physical thing that is can just slice through. I think even if the bond were cut abruptly like that, it would cut a piece of their souls out with it. I just can't see it happening.

Okay. Well the question still remains. If most of the same characters will be the main focus in TWP than who is going to die in QoAaD that will be more upsetting than Clockwork Princess? My money, unfortunately, is on Clary. 😥

« previous 1 3