Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Feminist Cards Game

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Dear Our Shared Shelf Community,

I started Our Shared Shelf a few month ago and I am very impressed by the community it has developed.

This is why I would like to share a personal project with you all. It is something that has been born along my readings and it is about women empowerment.

I started to create and illustrate a set of feminist cards game and I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice or feedback about it.

I think "Little women" need role models to look up to and help them shape their future regarding of what is taught, or broadcast today. This set of cards aims to provide portraits of brave and powerful women from all fields who have contributed/or still contribute to make this world a greater place for all.

This game aims to : Provide knowledge & answers, Make women legacy fashionable, Empower women all around the world.

I thought at first it could be a personal project but now I am thinking that maybe, if the community would like it, we could discuss about the women to add in the game and make it a " community project " for women by women.

What do you think ?

my project is here :
https://www.behance.net/gallery/52955...

Thank you for your time,
Debbie

message 2: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth | 18 comments This is really cool!

Just curious, do you plan on following the structure of a standard deck of cards or will it be a deck especially structured for a particular game?

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Thank you Elizabeth !
For now my plan is to follow the classic structure of a standard deck as it allows the players to play different games. I think people could get back to it more often than a particular one. (even if I also liked the idea of a tarot card game)
Do you think of any remarquable woman to include in the deck ? I think it would be nice to have women from the different countries.

message 4: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth | 18 comments Sticking with the classic deck is a smart idea (but yes, I do agree, I'd totally would love to see a tarot one)

Hmm.. some of the names I can think of are... Ada Lovelace, Georgia O'Keeffe, Susan B. Anthony, Harriet Tubman, Helen Keller, Amelia Earhart, Anne Frank

I like your idea of having different women from different countries. Unfortunately, living in the US (where women are already largely erased from history) I never had the opportunity to learn about many women apart from the ones I've listed above, so I'm not the best to suggest ideas on this.

Another idea that would be cool to see is to have women that contributed in different fields. You could have a handful of women scientists, women artists, etc.

message 5: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments you should patent it and make it as available to school's

message 6: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments How about Mary Fields?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Fi...

She sounds like one impressive woman.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Thank you for all of those names Elizabeth ! There are so many that i don't know. I add them on my list and check their background right away.

You are absolutely right when speaking of different fields : I have a short list of women scientist (such as Marie Curie) and another one of women artist/writer/photograph/journalist.

I also love your proposition of Anne Frank. I think it would be very nice to have women of all ages and thought of Malala Yousufzai as a young contemporary one. I wonder if I should add Emma (Watson) though ?

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments What a great idea Ross ! I would love to make it happen !

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Yes indeed, she does Gerd ! Thank you very much for your proposition !

message 10: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth | 18 comments Oooh yes, Marie Curie & Malala Yousufzai are both great ones I missed!

message 11: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth | 18 comments I was wondering about including Emma Watson as well. For some reason, my initial reaction was no. It just didn't seem right.

I thought about this for awhile, because I couldn't quite make sense of why I was so turned off by the idea. She is fantastic after all (at least that's my personal opinion), and has definitely made contributions to feminism.

Then it hit me after reading some others' opinions on one of the other threads on here. She is privileged, and many of the names we've mentioned above aren't so.

But then I thought about it some more... Yes, she has many privileges that many people (or women, in particular) do not have, but she has also used those privileges to spread the word about feminism, and to make contributions to such a cause.

Sooo anyway, I don't see why not. Obviously, at the end of the day, it's entirely up to you :)

message 12: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth | 18 comments Hey Debbie!

I came across this book at the bookstore yesterday and thought it might be a good resource if you are able to get access to it. It's beautifully illustrated and though it isn't able to go into too much detail (with each of the 50 women getting a couple pages) it does give a good introduction to some badass women of science.

I hope this helps!

Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World

message 13: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Moved to Miscellaneous

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Hi Elizabeth !

Thank you for your book suggestion, there is no way it could be in my French library but I ordered it on amazon to check it out !
Looks absolutely beautiful and interesting.

Someone suggested me also in the scientific field Florence nightingale. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florenc...

I have also read the " Culottées " by the french illustrator Penelope Bagieu. It tells the stories of 15 women of character from diverse time periods. Fun, interesting and well illustrated.

Regarding Emma Watson's card, I kind of agree with what you said, and about her choice to used her priviledges to this cause. She is still in my "why not" section. :)

My list keeps on growing thanks to my readings and the recommandations. I will post an update as soon as I can. :)

Thanks again !

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Emma wrote: "I love this card idea!"

Thanks you Emma for your support ! Would you think of any woman you would like to see in the game ?

message 16: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Keith wrote: "Hi,

Don't know if this amazing woman fits the bill:

Pearl Witherington: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_W..."

She sounds to have been a quite inspirational figure.
The story about her parachute wings are a prime example of bureaucratic stupidity, what does it matter how many jumps you did, if all but one are only training. O_o

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Keith wrote: "Hi,

Don't know if this amazing woman fits the bill:

Pearl Witherington: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_W...

From the above article: After the war, Witherington was recommended for t..."

Thank you Keith ! I will look it up as soon as I can. That "Pauline" looks like a war heroine ! Meanwhile, I add her name upon my list. :)

I am currently working on the women scientist as I would like women coming from all fields and all countries. If you think of anyone else, whatever the field of expertise, let me know.

message 18: by Fátima (new)

Fátima López Sevilla | 18 comments Hi Debbie,

I love the idea! Are you going to use a gofundme or similar later on to market and sell it? I will contribute for sure!

In the meantime, as a Spaniard from Peruvian parents, here are my 3 contributions, to make the deck also more international... and more Hispanic. ;)

Clara Campoamor (Spanish): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_C...

Gloria Fuertes (Spanish): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_... A poet so many Spanish kids grew up with... I just recently learnt she was lesbian, we didn't know about this growing up.
But I remember the sadness when she died.
This year it's the centenary of her birth, so it might be easier to find material on her, if needed.

My personal favourite: Flora Tristán (French): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_T... I learnt about her years ago via my love for Paul Gauguin, and she is so interesting and exciting!

As an addendum, I will also suggest Emmeline Pankhurst.

If I can think of more people, I'll come back on this thread and add them.

Good luck with the project!

message 19: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Sounds like a really great idea:)

So, I don't know if Käthe Leichter was a Feminist, but I think so. She was conducting Research among working-class women, and that as early as before WWI:)

A contemporary woman I'd like to mention here is Betsy Driver, because she did so much and still does so much for the rights of Intersex People, and quite a few of them identify as "woman" themselves.
Another contemporary that I think really Needs to be included is Gloria Steinem, because, let's face it, where would we be without the face of second- (maybe third-) wave feminism:) She was at the Houston Conference in 1977, that alone is great:)

message 20: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
This actually sounds like a pretty fun idea... :)

It's late here and I have to go to sleep, but what about Clara Rockwell, the inventor of the weirdly fantastic theremin? :) Largely unknown by people, still a pretty interesting lady.

Oh, and Vivian Maier. And Anaïs Nin. And Colette. Sophie Scholl, from the White Rose resistance movement. Dolores Ibárruri, the Bröntë sisters. Ahhh, such a long list. Will make sure to come back with more.

message 21: by Corey (new)

Corey | 29 comments This sounds awesome. I think there are enough names that you could almost have different decks for science, politics, the arts, etc. some favorites of mine are:
Betty Friedan, author of the Feminine Mystique
Artimisia Gentileschi, an Italian Renaissance painter
Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, a nun from the Spanish colonies in the Americas, and an accomplished poet
Hildegard von Bingen, who ran her own abbey and made significant contributions to the development of music

I think you might have difficulty coming up with a list of women who never have held any ideas that we would consider problematic, but we have to learn about men all the time, even if the individual in question is a terrible person.

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Hi Fátima,

Thank you for your comment and enthusiasm, it goes straight to the heart !

I am thinking a lot about a gofundme campaign these days.. this might be the easiest and best way to make this project come to life.

I add your suggestions to my list, thanks ! I might create a google doc soon for all to see where this is going and to make it easier for everyone to contribute.

Regarding Gloria Fuertes, does knowing this now make you look at her work differently ? It is always interesting how, as kids we perceive things and how growing up and being adult can make us understand things we did not catch first.

Many thanks and I hope to see you again in the comment section :)

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments MeerderWörter wrote: "Sounds like a really great idea:)"

Many thanks for these suggestions. Never heard of these women and I can't wait to read their stories !

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Ana wrote: "This actually sounds like a pretty fun idea... :)"

Hey Ana,

ahah you just look-like me when I am adding women to the list ! It seems that I can not stop, one always brings another. :) Thank you for contributing so heartedly !

As incredible as it may seems I have heard of the Thérémine and I find this instrument fantastic. I like the idea of having different profiles in the deck so don't hesitate to come with surprising ideas !

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Corey wrote: "This sounds awesome. I think there are enough names that you could almost have different decks for science, politics, the arts, etc. some favorites of mine are:
Betty Friedan, author of the Femini..."

Hi there Corey,

Thank you for your suggestions and adding names to my list ! The idea is to already have a mix of different profiles and ages from all around the world.
But I keep the idea of creating specials add-on from specific fields in mind ! :)

I have just finished the design of a new card attributed to Florence Nightingale and I am already working on the next one whose is a UN messenger of Peace, likes chimps and is English. Can you guess who is she ?

message 26: by Debbie (last edited Jun 27, 2017 02:31PM) (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Meelie wrote: "I have just one question - how do you 'play' this game? I'm intrigued, and I hope you do well!! :)"

Hi Meelie, you play with it like with any other card game : meaning you can play up to a hundred games if it pleases you (solitaire, two-players, multi-players..) It follows the basic architecture of a classic card game. :)

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments I love this idea!

I have just a thought, have you thought about making it into a matching tiles game or go fish, as well? I know I did those games with son quite a bit when he was too little to play card games.

message 28: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Debbie wrote: "MeerderWörter wrote: "Sounds like a really great idea:)"

Many thanks for these suggestions. Never heard of these women and I can't wait to read their stories !"

Betsy Driver made this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCTg...

And for Gloria Steinem, best to start with My Life on the Road I think.

message 29: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echavarría (carolinaep) Well, since you want to include women from around the world, I wanted to sugest two from Colombia, one that was severely judged for incluiding in her work social criticism and women nudes: Débora Arango. And another one that worked for the recognition of workers rights while being severly judged by society for it, they even took her daughters from her, trying to prevent them being raised her way, and also they coined her name as a term for "rebellious women": Maria Cano

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9...

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%...

message 30: by BeaMarinoni (new)

BeaMarinoni | 4 comments Hi!! I really like your idea!! I've just finished reading "Good night stories for rebel girls" and it is very interesting if you're looking for powerful and inspiring women from different countries! Also, it's a great book, for all ages really. You should check it out! Good luck with your project. Rooting for you.

message 31: by Fátima (new)

Fátima López Sevilla | 18 comments Hi Debbie!

It changes knowing about Gloria Fuertes' sexuality, in the sense that now I see her "adult" poetry with different eyes... though to be honest I mainly know her books for children, now with the anniversary I've seen a bit of her other stuff and kind of always try to look for clues there as to her sexuality.

As a kid, I guess that now I understand why some of her stories were so powerful and fun and attractive to me, with strong women. Not that I mean that you need to be a lesbian woman to write strong female characters, but I guess that being a lesbian woman in Spain during those years might have influenced her will to write these characters... Look up "Las reinas magas", I think it was the title: It's the story of the three wise men, but with women.

As for Bea's comment: I have seen "Good night stories for rebel girls" and it looks like a very interesting and fun book!! It looks like a great source of inspiration too.

There is also an Argentinian collection, with LatAm women: https://www.facebook.com/antiprincesa...

And also https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... for the USA.

Good luck, once more!

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Hi all ! Thank you so much for all the support.
As promised, I have updated the project on behance.
You will find 2 new women cards. I very much hope you will like them. :)

https://www.behance.net/gallery/52955...

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Carolina wrote: "Well, since you want to include women from around the world, I wanted to sugest two from Colombia, one that was severely judged for incluiding in her work social criticism and women nudes: Débora A..."

Many Thanks Carolina,
I did not not any of them. Looks like these women have really powerful stories. Thanks for sharing !

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Carolina wrote: "Well, since you want to include women from around the world, I wanted to sugest two from Colombia, one that was severely judged for incluiding in her work social criticism and women nudes: Débora A..."

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your comment. As I am working on this project it feels like the cards divided themselves into categories :
- women activits
- women of Arts (writers, play writers, actresses..)
- artists (designers, painters, sculpture, singers..)
- scientist (all kind of science really)

from now, in the literary section I have such well-known figures such as : Mary Shelley (UK), Isak Dinesen (Danish), George Sand (FR) to name a few.. would love to hear your suggestions !

I am still adding all the women suggested here on a file on Google that I will soon share with you all. :)

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Bea wrote: "Hi!! I really like your idea!! I've just finished reading "Good night stories for rebel girls" and it is very interesting if you're looking for powerful and inspiring women from different countries..."

Hi Bea :)

I have heard of these bedtime stories and I look forward to read them. I keep an eye on the second-hand websites. Who were the women with the most inspiring stories according to your reading ?
Which were the ones that you did not know about before opening this book ? I would love to know !

message 36: by BeaMarinoni (new)

BeaMarinoni | 4 comments Hi! There are so many different women but those who really impressed me were the warriors or emperors that I never heard of. For example Jingū, a Japanese Emperor who fought with the army and conquered Korea and lived between 169-269. Or Lakshmi Bai, former queen of India who fought against the English Army. There also are many other women who are already pretty well known like Frida Kahlo, Isabel Allende, Malala... I think you could really find it useful since they're from many different countries!

message 37: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 34 comments Don't forget Cleopatra....and a lot of our modern day activists!!!

message 39: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments interesting link MeerderWorter, forgotten hero's indeed.

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Keith wrote: "Hi Debbie,

They look brilliant. Looks like a lot of hard work though."

Thank you Keith ! I am very happy you like them !

Yes, there is a bit of a hard work behind but as the saying says "no pain no gain" ;) Plus, it is absolutely fascinating to work on a project like this. I am learning new things everyday and seeing you all engage to my project is already a very nice reward.

message 41: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Bea wrote: "Hi! There are so many different women but those who really impressed me were the warriors or emperors that I never heard of. For example Jingū, a Japanese Emperor who fought with the army and conqu..."

Absolutely ! Thank you very much for sharing. Never heard of this Japanese Emperor of the former queen of India. I have a Chinese Empress that I am considering adding to the deck though, her name is Wu zeitan, only Empress regnant of China in more than two millennia and she is pretty much badass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Zetian

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments MeerderWörter wrote: "Some women warriors here:
https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com......"

Fascinating link MeerderWorter, I add them to the list ! I was dying to find American Indian heroes. Thank you !

message 43: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Samantha wrote: "Don't forget Cleopatra....and a lot of our modern day activists!!!"

Will you believe me if I told you I had almost forgotten to add her to the deck ?! Thanks !

message 44: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Hi all,

I had a prolific weekend so you can discover a new card here :
https://www.behance.net/portfolio/edi...

some clues about the woman : born American, re-born French, vedette, dancer, singer, war spy, mother of twelve... ;)

message 45: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Emma wrote:

How many people are in the deck now? I am curious to see the final list of when the deck is finished."

Hi Emma,

Right now I have a list of 70 women and I am still adding submitions. All those women won't make it in the deck as I am looking for as many nationalities as possible and lots of them come from the same countries.

:) you can find my list here and I opened the doc to submitions so feel free to make one or two if you want :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 46: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Trofimencoff | 48 comments This is a terrific idea! 🙌 I love to play cards and board games so I would purchase this set. Another source to look at would be the book, "Wonder Women" by Sam Maggs. Great resource. Don't forget to include a Canadian in the set ❤️🇨🇦

message 47: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I'm definitely for including Wilma Mankiller of the Cherokee Nation.

message 48: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 21, 2017 04:23PM) (new)

Elizabeth I cannot tell you how much I love this idea. Thank you so much for sharing! I second the vote for Emmeline Pankhurst (British suffragist) and want to add Alice Paul, an American suffragist who I personally find incredibly inspiring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Paul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmelin...

I recently read a book which might help your research: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

It's intended for a younger audience but the biographies are varied and interesting.

message 49: by Malin (new)

Malin | 13 comments Such a fantastic idea! And the cards looks amazing. I play a lot of card games with my friends and family and I hope I will be able to buy a set of your cards once they are done. :)

My suggestions to your list would be two modern activists/feminists: Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie ("We should all be feminists") and American activist Gloria Steinem.

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Deb | 49 comments Hi all,

Many thanks for your support and comments, it keeps me going !

Especially after the response I had from The Library of Congress in the U.S. I had submitted the project to their publishing team who loved my design and talked to their editors Pomegranate Communication about it. Unfortunately, Pomegranate did not chose to help me make it happen.

But I refuse to give up on the first "no". I firmly believe in this project and I am now looking for others editing houses and publishers that would to. Feel free to share any contact you have, wherever they are, that would help a lot ! Otherwise, I will go for a foundraiser campaign.

Meanwhile, I have found the first "King" of the set, which I let you discover here : https://www.behance.net/portfolio/edi...

I will personaly answer to everyone soon. Got to update the list with all your interesting submitions.

I am very grateful for you all. Thanks again. Debbie.

« previous 1