Chicks On Lit discussion

Vanity Fair
This topic is about Vanity Fair
Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Our Summer 2017 CHUNKY read is Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray

Comments Showing 1-50 of 232 (232 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
It is time to start nominations for our next CHUNKY read.

What massive, door stopper, chunky big book would you like to read for discussion?

If you nominate a book, please be willing and available to lead the discussion if the book is selected.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin Bentley (rbentley) | 70 comments The Path to Power, by Robert Caro. 1981
Almost 900 pages, it is volume 1 of the trilogy about Lyndon B. Johnson's rise to power.

Superb reviews, best-seller, by the Pulitzer prize-winning author of The Power Broker (which is another chunky on my shelf waiting to be read). I believe Bryan Cranston starred as Johnson in the Tony-winning play based on the book a few years back.

Irene | 3942 comments That looks good. Of course, if I start the trilogy, I will probably want to finish it.

message 4: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anyone else want to nominate anything?

Petra I'm thinking on it. A chunky is 700+ pages, correct?

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yes. There abouts. Though you can do 600's if you want. :-)

message 7: by Petra (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petra I'd like to nominate Vanity Fair.
From the posts I've seen, over the years, those who read it find it a fun "romp", which sounds like a good summer read.
I will be on vacation with my step-dad at the end of July, for one week, and won't have much internet access (maybe none), so if this book is chosen, I won't be able to lead much during that week.

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 6 comments Outlander!!

message 9: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

HI Eva. We read book 1 of Outlander a few years ago as our chunky, but I can throw it in for the vote if a bunch of ladies who didn't read it then would like to read it now. :-)

Petra I'll add 2 more. They are shorter than Vanity Fair and maybe more interesting.

Dune by Frank Herbert

and

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

They are each about 600 pages and might make for good summer reading.

message 11: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Thank you Petra.

Before I put up a poll, I would just like to ask everyone if the idea of committing to a chunky read in the summer is causing people to hesitate in nominating/joining, since nominations have been slow? With vacations, outdoor activities, etc, are people not wanting to commit to a long read right now?

So please comment. Would everyone like a vote for our next chunky for the summer, or would ladies prefer to wait till fall for our next chunky?

message 12: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3942 comments I am up for a summer chunky. I have not nominated because I have led a number of discussions recently, especially the last chunky. I want a break from leading. I also don't want to dominate the group discussions so thought it would be polite to stand down this round of nominations.

Petra I don't mind a summer chunky. If we need to slow down for a week or two due to vacations, we can adjust.

message 14: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Okay, I've created a poll with the 5 nominated books. Poll will run through June 15th (10 days).

Please vote and join us for a summer chunky!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 15: by Jennifer W (last edited Jun 05, 2017 03:27PM) (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I love reading chunky books in summer, something about warm evenings and cool drinks with an epic book.... :)

Some good choices here!

message 16: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Our summer Chunky winner is Vanity Fair, discussion leader Petra.

Petra, I know you said you had a vacation this summer ,so please feel free to build a schedule, start time, etc that fits with your life and plans! :-)

Looking forward to reading and discussing this one. It is both a chunky, and a classic!

Petra Thanks, Sheila! I will have a look at the book's sections and see how to fit it around my week away.
I'm looking forward to this. I've heard that the book is entertaining, light and a delightful read.

QueenAmidala28 Good choice! I read this book years ago and this is a perfect time to reread it. I hope I can catch up!

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Howland | 11 comments I would like to join you. This is my first time. How does it work? When should I start reading? Do I just start and watch for the daily postings??

message 20: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Welcome Cheryl! We'd love to have you join us. For now just try to round up a copy of the book (since we read these chunky books over a period of many weeks you might want to try to get an inexpensive copy to own instead of a library book that you might have to return before we are done).

Once Petra comes up with a plan she will post schedule of when to start reading and how much to read each week. Then just read along as best as you can with the schedule and jump in any time to the discussion as we go.

Petra I will pick the book up from the library after work tomorrow. I'm then going away for a few days. I'll have the schedule worked out by the time I return (either Wed or Thurs). I hope that's not too late.

Sheila, considering when I can post the schedule, do you think a July 1st start is too early? I'm okay with whatever start date is decided upon.

I'll be away the week of July 26th as well. I may have internet access but won't know until I'm actually there.

Are people comfortable with approx. 75 pages a week? Too much? Too few? I'd like to move along at everyone's comfortable pace to enhance the enjoyment of the book and the discussion.

message 22: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Take your time, Petra. There is no rush. We have all summer, (and all fall if we need it!)

As to when to start, who is planning on joining us, and if you are do you have a copy yet?

Ladies interested please chime in so we can come up with a summer plan and schedule that works best for the majority. :-)

Taylor I'll join in. I've had my copy for close to 30 years. It's time I read it! And 75 pages a week (or 100) sounds like a good pace.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Howland | 11 comments I have my copy too. Start any time. Can't say how many pages I can do, until I start. 75 pages a week sounds doable.

Petra This all sounds good.
I have the book and will figure out a schedule based on this version: Vanity Fair: A Novel without a Hero. I'll post the schedule as soon as I'm home (around Wed or Thurs).

message 26: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Jun 22, 2017 08:21PM) (new) - added it

Laura Tenfingers I'm game. I have my copy. 75 pages a week sounds perfectly doable although I might read more than that.

message 27: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Excellent ladies! Excited to see so many joining in on this one! (I have my copy too!)

message 28: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene | 3942 comments Plan on joining, but still need to get a copy. I am traveling early in July to visit my mother, so may start slightly late.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4842 comments I have this on my nook.

message 30: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina | 116 comments I'd like to join. I'll pick up a copy in the next day or two.

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin Bentley (rbentley) | 70 comments I'll try to get a copy today.

message 32: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina | 116 comments Went and got my copy today. I've always wanted to read this, now I'm glad I won't be alone. :)

message 33: by Petra (last edited Jul 09, 2017 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petra Hi everyone! Sorry to be late. I stayed with family a couple of extra days.

Here is a suggested reading schedule, keeping to an approx. 75pgs a week. Each chapter is roughly 10-15 pages long. This schedule is 9 weeks long. Does that sound okay to everyone?

Week 1: Chiswick Hall - Private & Confidential (Chapter 1-8) (77 pgs)
Week 2: Family Portraits - The Letter of the Pincushion (Chapter 9-16) (83 pgs)
Week 3: How Captain Dobbin Bought A Piano - In Which Mr. Osborne Takes Down The Family Bible (Chapters 17 - 24) (79 pgs)
Week 4: In Which All The Principle Personages Think Fit To Leave Brighton - In Which Jos Takes Flight And The War Is Brought To A Close Chapters 25 - 32) (94 pgs)
Week 5: In Which Miss Crowley's Relations Are Very Anxious About Her - A Family In A Very Small Way (Chapters 33- 38) (76 pgs)
Week 6: A Cynical Chapter - Gaunt House (Chapter 39 - 47) (83 pages)
Week 7: In Which The Reader Is Introduced To The Very Best Of Company - In Which The Same Subject Is Pursued (Chapters 48 - 55) (88 pgs)
Week 8: Georgy Is Made A Gentleman - Am Rhein (Chapters 56- 62) (74 pgs)
Week 9: In Which We Meet An Old Acquaintance - Which Contains Births, Marriages and Deaths (Chapters 63 - 68) (67 pgs)

Would a start date of July 8th (for reading) and the discussion starting on Thursday, July 13th work for everyone? This will hopefully give everyone a chance to pick up a copy.

message 34: by Gill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gill | 32 comments Hi Petra told me about this read, so I've joined for this one. It's a re-read for me. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Petra Gill!!!!!!! So glad to have you join the discussion!
This is a 'first time' read for me. I've heard a lot of good things about the book and am looking forward to finally reading it. I especially like the idea of reading it in a group.
Glad to have you with us, Gill.

message 36: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I have a kindle version and hope to join in. The schedule sounds good!

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Howland | 11 comments My copy is on my Nook. Looking forward to starting.

message 38: by Gill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gill | 32 comments You know me, Petra. I enjoy a good book discussion!

Taylor The start date and schedule work for me. Looking forward to it!

message 40: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Start date and schedule works for me!
Welcome Gill! Always nice to have new voices joining the discussion!

Looks like we are going to have an excellent group for this one!

Petra Great! Looks like we have a workable schedule and a start date.

I'm looking forward to this read. From what I've heard, this is a fun story throughout.

QueenAmidala28 Cool. Schedule looks great.

message 43: by Gill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gill | 32 comments Oh, does this mean we started reading this yesterday, Thursday 8th?

Petra I thought it was Thursday the 6th??!! LOL!

But, yes, we can start at any time. I plan on starting tomorrow (Friday). I will be balancing Vanity Fair with Proust, so will learn to juggle two tomes. LOL!

Petra .... I would have completely believed that today was the 8th (I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and lose track of the dates easily) but I know that I go back to work on the 10th and that can't be this Saturday! That's too early! LOL!

message 46: by Gill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gill | 32 comments Unfortunately my book doesn't seem to have the same headings as your list , Petra. Only chapter numbers. Also no page numbers only locations. Which chapter do we finish at the end of week 1 please? Thanks

Petra I've updated the schedule to include the Chapters.
Thanks, Gill, for pointing this out.

message 48: by Gill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gill | 32 comments Petra wrote: "I've updated the schedule to include the Chapters.
Thanks, Gill, for pointing this out."

That's great, Petra. Thanks!

Petra I'm really enjoying this story. The first three chapters are a hoot. I'm looking forward to our discussion soon.

message 50: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 2 stars

This is a very unique story!

« previous 1 3 4 5