Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Shout It Out! Self- Promotions > Flash Fiction Competition...Need Your Vote!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 415 (415 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Theodore (last edited May 24, 2017 08:09AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments

Hey, Guys and Gals!

I just entered a Flash Fiction competition (both under my own name and under my pen name, Alyssa Devine) with two, 250-word pieces of fiction. The ‘prompt’ was a picture of a bridge.

This is an important contest because not only does winning it depend on votes from the public (YOU!), but also, because a group of professional literary critics also weigh in with their opinions.

Winners will have their work included in an annual anthology to be published early next year.

I would sincerely appreciate your vote. Just go to the URL below, click on my name or Alyssa Devine’s name (that’s my pen name), and hit the VOTE button…and we’re done. No need to sign in to the site. Just vote!!!!!

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2017/0...

If you want to read the entries, you will find them here:

Voting ends at 8 PM, EST, Thursday, May 25, 2017.

Thanks for helping!!!

Ted (aka Alyssa)

PS These stories are pure fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. T

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Voted

message 3: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Amy wrote: "Voted"

Thanks, Amy! Much appreciated! You should give it a try, though they may not take your genre (;>) Try something a little different, perhaps.

message 4: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments You got my vote and you're in the lead by a wide margin :)

message 5: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Eldon wrote: "You got my vote and you're in the lead by a wide margin :)"

Thanks, Eldon.

A friend just wrote to me and said he had voted for Alyssa Devine (my pen name). I wrote an e-mail back using Alyssa's e-mail account, thanking him and saying what a jerk Ted was because he was bragging to her about the votes he was getting. (;>) It blew his mind! If you have friends, it's what you do to them.

message 6: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Theodore wrote: "Eldon wrote: "You got my vote and you're in the lead by a wide margin :)"

Thanks, Eldon.

A friend just wrote to me and said he had voted for Alyssa Devine (my pen name). I wrote an e-mail back us..."

That's hilarious :D

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Theodore wrote: "Amy wrote: "Voted"

Thanks, Amy! Much appreciated! You should give it a try, though they may not take your genre (;>) Try something a little different, perhaps."

Wouldn't worry, I can write anything other than romance. Oh can't write a physics text book either.

message 8: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Amy wrote: "Theodore wrote: "Amy wrote: "Voted"

Thanks, Amy! Much appreciated! You should give it a try, though they may not take your genre (;>) Try something a little different, perhaps."

Wouldn't worry, I..."

You should give it a try. Lots of fun. The challenge is keeping it to 250 words.

message 9: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4580 comments Mod
voted and shared.

message 10: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: "voted and shared."

Thanks, Carole!

message 11: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
Voted, and it looks like you're winning!

message 12: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments R.L. wrote: "Voted, and it looks like you're winning!"

Well, with your help, we are (;>)

Thanks!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineroney) | 261 comments Voted!

message 14: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Christine wrote: "Voted!"

Bless you, my daughter! (;>)

message 15: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments I want to thank everyone who voted for my story this week in which the photo of the bridge was the prompt. I was fortunate enough to win the competition, the first time that has happened.

goo.gl/4gnRgE

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Awesome. Well done!!!

message 17: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Amy wrote: "Awesome. Well done!!!"

Thanks, Amy.

I submitted a piece for the new competition yesterday, so will be coming back to the "well" on Wednesday (;>)

Stand by.

BTW, they should announce their literary reviewers' choices at the end of the month (these are the pieces that will be included in the 2017 anthology), so keep your fingers crossed.

message 18: by Theodore (last edited May 31, 2017 08:30AM) (new)

Hey, Guys and Gals,

If you have a moment and want to have some fun, here are two more pieces of Flash Fiction, one from me, and, well, another from me writing as Alyssa Devine.

They are as different as they can be. Both have been entered into this week’s Flash Fiction competition. So please vote for your favorite.

The “prompt” was a picture of old missiles arrayed in the desert (probably some place in Arizona, the boneyard for things of flight). But I’m thinking out of the box…missiles, arrows, slings…going back to the true definition of “missile.” You get the picture (at least in my mind).

For some reason, the prompt evoked thoughts of Shakespeare’s Hamlet: ”slings and arrows”…“outrageous fortune”… “troubles.” (see below) Thus was born the short (250-word) story I (Ted) posted for this week’s Flash Fiction competition. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Alyssa’s story takes a completely different path. See of you can figure out who (what) the suitor is, and who (what) is the object of the suiter’s attention before you get to the tragic end. If you like this story better, then give Alyssa your vote.

Here’s where you can read the stories:

And here’s where to vote:

Voting opens to the public on Wednesday, 5/31/2017, and will remain open until 8:00 PM, EDST, Thursday.

I’ll let you know what happens!!!

Thank, as always, for your support of independent writers.

Ted (and Alyssa)

PS Here’s some background for consideration:

The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

The story on which Hamlet is based was an ancient one; versions of it are found in Byzantine, Greek, and Roman myth*. The Danish story probably came to Shakespeare through an earlier play, now lost.

Rorik was real enough, a viking who (among other things*) was King of Jutland. But Rorik's grandson, Amleth, was a figure of legend rather than history, a heroic avenger who outsmarted his rivals and ended up with two wives. Rorik's daughter, Gerutha, was given in marriage to his favourite, Horwendil, whose son was Amleth (Hamlet). . . and the legend begins.

Act III, Scene 1
Elsinore. A room in the Castle.
Hamlet. To be, or not to be- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer 1750
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them. To die- to sleep-
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks 1755
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation

By the way, regarding Alyssa’s story, can you figure out who the suitor is and who is the object of his affections?

message 19: by Carole (new)

shared!!

message 20: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: "shared!!"

Thank you so much. This one was actually more fun!

message 21: by Theodore (last edited Jun 03, 2017 04:00PM) (new)

Just a quick note to say "thanks" for helping me win last week's Flash Fiction competition. Here's the announcement and winning short story:

message 22: by Theodore (new)

First, thanks for supporting Alyssa and me (one and the same, of course) on these weekly competitions. This week’s submissions are interesting.

Alyssa submitted one that honors three friends from Milwaukee with whom I grew up as a teenager: Tom M., Joe M., and Chuck G. We studied for our Amateur Radio licenses together and lived each day with electrons running through our blood. What better way to remember them than to use their names (well, their first names) in a story…and one that mentions radio, too.

My submission involves a hypothetical discussion between Louis Carroll and the Reverend Robinson Duckworth, DD, CVO, VD, (4 December 1834 – 20 September 1911). You remember the Reverend; he’s “the Duck” in Alice’s Adventures Under Ground. The fact is, this may not have been a hypothetical exchange at all!

You can read the stories here. They’re only 250 words long, a blink of an eye.

Then, vote here, if you would, either for Theodore Jerome Cohen or Alyssa Devine…whoever’s story strikes your fancy.

Voting closes on Thursday at 8 PM, EDST.

As always, thanks for your support.

message 23: by Theodore (new)

Only one piece of Flash Fiction from me this week...you can see it here. It's about a railroad telegrapher in Portland, ME, who was operating during a strong aurora in the mid-1800s.

Thanks for your vote.

message 24: by Angel (new)

Angel | 721 comments Hi, Theo! Loved the story. The characters really come alive. The descriptions were on point. You did amazing with this! Voted.

message 25: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Angel wrote: "Hi, Theo! Loved the story. The characters really come alive. The descriptions were on point. You did amazing with this! Voted."

Thanks, Angel. There really were problems on the long-distance telegraph lines in the mid-1800s with aurora. Even today, the electrical grids in Canada and the northern tier of US states experience huge induced electrical currents associated with geomagnetic storms (which, of course, also produce aurora).

message 26: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments By the way, as I mentioned, one of the major problems the North American power grid experiences even today are huge current surges during high geomagnetic activity. This activity peaks about two years after the peak in the sunspot cycle. The current cycle peaked in the spring of 2014, so we have passed the peak in geomagnetic activity, but geomagnetic storms still can do significant damage to the grid as well as to to Earth satellites (both to their internal systems as well as causing operators to expend fuel keeping their satellites on-station as blasts of solar particles push them out of their orbital positions).

message 27: by Angel (new)

Angel | 721 comments Theodore wrote: "By the way, as I mentioned, one of the major problems the North American power grid experiences even today are huge current surges during high geomagnetic activity. This activity peaks about two ye..."

Thanks for informing me on the history of it. I love the real facts inducted into the fiction of stories. Gives it substance.

message 28: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Angel wrote: "Theodore wrote: "By the way, as I mentioned, one of the major problems the North American power grid experiences even today are huge current surges during high geomagnetic activity. This activity p..."

I attempt to inject reality into all of my fiction...which makes it difficult for friends and family, at times, to separate fact from fiction. Great fun!

message 29: by Angel (new)

Angel | 721 comments Theodore wrote: "Angel wrote: "Theodore wrote: "By the way, as I mentioned, one of the major problems the North American power grid experiences even today are huge current surges during high geomagnetic activity. T..."

I do the same with my writing.

message 30: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Angel wrote: "Theodore wrote: "Angel wrote: "Theodore wrote: "By the way, as I mentioned, one of the major problems the North American power grid experiences even today are huge current surges during high geomag..."

It's great fun! Also gives us a chance to learn something.

message 31: by Angel (new)

Angel | 721 comments Theodore wrote: "Angel wrote: "Theodore wrote: "Angel wrote: "Theodore wrote: "By the way, as I mentioned, one of the major problems the North American power grid experiences even today are huge current surges duri..."

I think so, too.

message 32: by Carole (new)

Voted!

message 33: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: "Voted!"

Thanks, Carole.

I need all the votes I can muster this time around, guys and gals...someone is really challenging me on this round. Would appreciate any votes you can throw my way:

message 34: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 76 comments Voted...looks like you've got this one!

message 35: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "Voted...looks like you've got this one!"

Thanks! Actually not...a competitor from India obviously has rounded up his buddies and is really doing a job on me! He has an interesting story, but it's a shame he didn't do a better job of editing his work. It will be interesting to see how the editors view his submission.

message 36: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
Voted for you. Very intriguing!

message 37: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Erica wrote: "Voted for you. Very intriguing!"

Thanks. Much appreciated.

message 38: by Theodore (new)

No joy in Mudville this week, but I do thank you for your support!

message 39: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Alyssa already has submitted one for next week. (;>)

message 40: by Carole (new)

Good- send the link and I'll vote for it.

message 41: by Theodore (last edited Jun 25, 2017 06:23AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: "Good- send the link and I'll vote for it."

She'll post it next Wednesday morning (;>)

It's a story tied to World War I

message 42: by Carole (new)

Interesting. Can't wait.

message 43: by Alyssa (last edited Jun 28, 2017 10:07AM) (new)

Alyssa Devine | 22 comments

Hey, Guys and Gals...

I need your votes for my World War I story.

Voting polls close Thursday at 5 PM Pacific time. If the poll doesn't close on time, any votes received after 5 pm will be removed.

Thanks!

Alyssa Devine

message 44: by Carole (new)

Voted!

message 45: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: "Voted!"

Booyah!!!!!

Thanks, Carole!

message 46: by Carole (new)

;)

message 47: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: ";)"

Alyssa thanks you! (;>)

message 48: by Alyssa (last edited Jul 01, 2017 02:25PM) (new)

Alyssa Devine | 22 comments

Hey, Guys and Gals...

Thanks so much for making my WWI story a winner:

Ted said to tell you that next week he has a story that is to die for.

Why not join in the fun in the Flash Fiction competition on Indies Unlimited? There's a new contest every week, starting on Saturday morning. You can learn more about it in the current issue of Indies Authors Monthly that Carole & Company just released yesterday. Here's the current photo prompt and the rules:

Have a great Fourth of July Holiday.

Alyssa

message 49: by Carole (new)

Shared! Congrats on the win, Alyssa.

message 50: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Devine | 22 comments Carole wrote: "Shared! Congrats on the win, Alyssa."

Thanks, Carole. You're the best!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread