Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Historical Fantasy > Steampunk?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea Carter (klcislc) | 31 comments My latest book got called "steampunk" in one of the reviews, and I'm trying to figure out if that would fit in this category? I'd be a little surprised if it did, because I write about fairies, but I wanted to ask. :) Thanks!

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 138 comments I just looked at the description of The Seeker's Storm and I certainly wouldn't call it steampunk because steampunk takes place in an alternate universe with steam technology. Someone who isn't clear on the concept might have called it steampunk because of the lightning machines since most steampunk novels contain odd inventions.

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea Carter (klcislc) | 31 comments Shomeret wrote: "I just looked at the description of The Seeker's Storm and I certainly wouldn't call it steampunk because steampunk takes place in an alternate universe with steam technology. Someo..."

Hmm, ok. So it's not really steampunk and definitely not historical fiction. Lol, it's hard to nail down a genre for these, guess I better stick with fantasy of manners. Thanks!

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2164 comments Shomeret wrote: "I just looked at the description of The Seeker's Storm and I certainly wouldn't call it steampunk because steampunk takes place in an alternate universe with steam technology. Someo..."

Agreed. Many have a misconception of Steampunk. Just because a book is set in a historical setting and has odd or strange technology it doesn't make it Steampunk. It has to follow a certain structure and pertain to the rules that many any genre what it is.