Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Removing reference data to non existent ebooks

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by H.A. (new)

H.A. Dawson (honoradawson) | 4 comments G'day everyone I have been absent from Goodreads in the active sense since 2014.
I looked on my profile and noticed there are five digital ebooks that no longer exist anywhere! Is there any way they can be deleted completely.
I wish to start adding my brand new psychological suspense books( a collection of 26 novels) so I can engender some interest.

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20004 comments GR does not delete books that are no longer available (no matter if they are print or ebook).
Please see https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2... and https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

message 3: by H.A. (new)

H.A. Dawson (honoradawson) | 4 comments OH DEAR! Can you hide them within your author profile?

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments No,

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Valid book data is not deleted on Goodreads. Edits made contrary to policy will be reverted.

message 6: by H.A. (last edited May 24, 2017 11:32AM) (new)

H.A. Dawson (honoradawson) | 4 comments This interesting I am a coder/programmer/systems analyst and if the source of such data no longer exists it can not be used and would be erased from any statistics developed from such accumulated data. So as it stands the database is inaccurate. I can understand how it applies to "dead tree editions" as I have some rare hardback editions But really! Digital books totally controlled by the author/publisher with D.R.M once they have been erased they no longer exist even on many of the devices used to read them!

message 7: by Shanna_redwind (last edited May 24, 2017 11:42AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 72 comments I use this to record every book that I've read as well as those I own, so I'd be disappointed if suddenly books that I'd read vanished from the database.

message 8: by H.A. (new)

H.A. Dawson (honoradawson) | 4 comments It does seem terrible! For me I think I persuaded 4 people to read the material at that time. They were good stories which needed more work. I was sad to obliterate them. The covers were lacking their genre identities. I have written over 20 books mostly novels. Now I have the task of how to utilise Goodreads to gain readers without irritating others.