YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Team Threads Archive > Team Jellyfish (F) Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 300 (300 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Karen (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:21PM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Welcome to team Jellyfish. Please check in as soon as possible.
Team:
Karen - checked in
Ananya - checked in
Melinda - checked in
Natalie - checked in
Tobias - checked in
Julianne - checked in
Alyson - checked in
Georgie - checked in

Review thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Tracking thread: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 2: by Karen (last edited May 24, 2017 11:54AM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments A reminder: each team will be assigned 5 key words randomly at the beginning of the challenge. We have to read 4 books including each key word for that category to be completed, and then we receive 10 bonus points/a new word.
We get 4 passes, but should use these carefully.
Any team member can read books within the category - so you could, if you wanted, individually read four books including that key word. We might be best trying to get BRs set up for each category within the team.
*200 - 299 pages = 2 points
*300 - 399 pages = 3 points
*400 - 499 pages = 4 points
*500 - 599 pages = 5 points
*600+ pages = 6 points
(maximum of 6 points per book)
*Buddy reads DOUBLE your points score

If there's any chance of sorting out BRs within our group for our key word, that would be a huge help.

message 3: by Karen (last edited May 24, 2017 06:17AM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Our first key words are:
52. Bone
89. And
69. Ruin
38. Name
32. Gift

Going to look through ARCs and then hit the library/Kindle Unlimited to see what I have. I can definitely read a book for 'Bone' - Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor if anyone wants to BR it.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments I get a bit carried away with these things, but have set up a spreadsheet to use for tracking out progress.
Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

If this doesn't allow you access to the spreadsheet, request access and I'll sort it.

message 5: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 261 comments Karen wrote: "Our first key words are:
52. Bone
89. And
69. Ruin
38. Name
32. Gift

Going to look through ARCs and then hit the library/Kindle Unlimited to see what I have. I can definitely read a book for 'Bone..."

I would love to buddy read this book with you! :)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83074 comments Mod
Adding Georgie to your team ☺

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Hiya!

Checking in now c:

Really looking forward to this challenge! At the moment I'm doing the Jumanji challenge in a serious team so I'm curious to see how things differ in a fun team. Trying to keep up in a serious team can be pretty stressful at times - especially with a full-time job 8'D

message 8: by Natalie (last edited May 24, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments I'd love to read The Girl with All the Gifts, and potentially its sequel (technically a prequel - but meh) for "Gift". If anyone wants to do the same we could create a BR for it - and that would also complete the Gift category too c:

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited May 24, 2017 06:33PM) (new)

Checking in! Excited to find some books at the library for this.

If re reads count i will join for Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

I was thinking of reading Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry for ruin

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

If we have the word "and" will we be able to use Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo these to fill "and" as well??

message 11: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3530 comments Those both count Julianne for "and" (:

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Natalie wrote: "Hiya!

Checking in now c:

Really looking forward to this challenge! At the moment I'm doing the Jumanji challenge in a serious team so I'm curious to see how things differ in a fun team. Trying t..."

I know...I'm one off finishing the Jumanji challenge first time, but next month I'm marking exams so don't get as much time.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Natalie wrote: "I'd love to read The Girl with All the Gifts, and potentially its sequel (technically a prequel - but meh) for "Gift". If anyone wants to do the same we could create a BR for it - a..."

It's on my to read pile, so I think doing a BR together would be a great way to do it. Would starting 3rd June be okay with you for this?

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Adriana wrote: "Those both count Julianne for "and" (:"

We can't count for duplicate categories though. If we get categories with 'The' 'and' etc then they're easy to fill so could be read alongside the ones that will need a bit more planning.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Julianne wrote: "Checking in! Excited to find some books at the library for this.

If re reads count i will join for Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

I was thinking of reading [bookcover:Rot & Ruin|..."

My school librarian dug out Rot and Ruin for me...she'll be a handy resource, even if it means reading stuff I wouldn't normally. Shall we set up a BR for this too?

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Karen wrote: "Natalie wrote: "I'd love to read The Girl with All the Gifts, and potentially its sequel (technically a prequel - but meh) for "Gift". If anyone wants to do the same we could create..."

Sounds great to me! Did you want to read the prequel/sequel* too, or just the first one? c:

* it's listed as #2 but it's apparently the prequel.

message 17: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Karen wrote: "Adriana wrote: "Those both count Julianne for "and" (:"

We can't count for duplicate categories though. If we get categories with 'The' 'and' etc then they're easy to fill so could be read alongsi..."

Might be easier to find books for the harder ones first? *shrugs*

message 18: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 261 comments Hey! I was just taking a look at the spreadsheet and wanted to ask if I can join the buddy read for the girl with all the gifts?

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Absolutely Ananya-probably the easiest way to get categories done. Can you add yourself on?

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited May 26, 2017 06:52PM) (new)

Karen wrote: "Julianne wrote: "Checking in! Excited to find some books at the library for this.

I was thinking of reading "

Yes lets BR Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry What day should we start?

I am going to lurk through the planned buddy reads and see if anything fits our other categories

message 21: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 261 comments I just added Avenged (Ruined #2) for the word Ruin which closes off the category Ruin! :)

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments I'm going to join a couple of BRs-Wintersong, I'll Give You the Sun and Now I Rise. We can bank them for use (wildcard if they don't come up). My first couple of weeks are pretty free-after that I'll have to see how I go.

message 23: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Archer | 26 comments hi

message 24: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Archer | 26 comments I'm checking in

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Tobias wrote: "I'm checking in"

Hi Tobias, welcome to team jellyfish. Have you any books for our first categories that you'd like to claim? We're trying to set up BRs where we can (easy way to finish the section).

message 26: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments I've added another spreadsheet to the initial one (separate page) so that we can keep track of books we're interested in reading in case the key word comes up c:

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2017 02:30PM) (new)

Natalie wrote: "I've added another spreadsheet to the initial one (separate page) so that we can keep track of books we're interested in reading in case the key word comes up c:"

I added a lot of books to my column there. I just looked through what I had on my to read shelf :)

Also i was able to get a copy of The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey so Ill be joining that BR

message 28: by Alyson (new)

Alyson (alysonk01) Hi guys! I'm just checking in. I'm pretty flexible to reading whatever but I can work on the and category and read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling

message 29: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Hi all!

I've created a spreadsheet that links to all the individual June BRs in addition to the books themselves. Will hopefully add which key words each book in a June BR is appropriate too shortly as well.

The team spreadsheet links to this, and if you want editing permission feel free to ask - I just left it as view only with the link for now purely because the initial spreadsheet is posted on the forum ;D

I got bored and sometimes when I get bored I organise

message 30: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 3 comments -checking in now, sorry didn't see this in my notifications till now.

message 31: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 3 comments Hi,

So I have a book to read for Ruin, it's called a Court of Wings and Ruins and it just came out so it's perfect timing! It's the third book in a series so if anyone else has read this let me know and we can buddy read. -- Warning, this is a really long book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Hi Melinda. Team all checked in.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Hi Melinda. Do check out the spreadsheet, and links attached. We set up a BR for Rot and Ruin and the fourth slot is claimed. Do read the Sarah Maas one-we can use it for 'and' category, or keep it for if we get 'ruin' again.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Currently doing the Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor BR. We can use it for "AND" if we cant reuse it later

Started Sister of the Dead (Noble Dead, Series 1, #3) by Barb Hendee in case we get "SISTER".

Happy June!

message 35: by Natalie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:14PM) (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Just finished reading The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson , which we can use for The, Of or Normal later on c:

Also reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor c:

message 36: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 261 comments Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone is interesting in BR for Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor [the second book of Daugher of smoke and bone] since we are already reading the first - we can use it for the "and" category - or any other ones (I have not looked yet)

message 37: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Archer | 26 comments Sorry I havent been talking i just finshed school. I'm going to read a daughter of smoke and bone and ruined

message 38: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Archer | 26 comments also harry potter and the prisoner of askaban

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Ananya wrote: "Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone is interesting in BR for Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor [the second book of Daugher of smoke and bone] since we are already reading the firs..."

Im interested! Love the story and really need to reread the whole series. The last book in the series is Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor so i think these books can work for "AND" "OF" "BLOOD" and "DREAM"

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments I've just ordered a copy of Blood and Starlight-happy to do a BR to get potential categories. Could we aim for 9th?

message 41: by Karen (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:38PM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments For those of you on the BR for Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor , use this link for the pages read link. It's the large print edition so gets us 10 points each.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 42: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 261 comments Karen wrote: "I've just ordered a copy of Blood and Starlight-happy to do a BR to get potential categories. Could we aim for 9th?"

yep ok!!

message 43: by Ananya (new)

Ananya | 261 comments Tobias wrote: "Sorry I havent been talking i just finshed school. I'm going to read a daughter of smoke and bone and ruined"

I have holidays for the whole June so bye bye school and bye bye whatever I've learnt since the start of the year :")

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Very envious Ananya. I do exam marking throughout June/July as well as teaching. It's a crazy time.

message 45: by Ananya (last edited Jun 03, 2017 01:28AM) (new)

Ananya | 261 comments Better yet - our school has a no homework policy during holidays so I'm ~completely~ free

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Posted my review for Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor and ill definitely join the BR for Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor .

Today ill be reading Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry and if I finish it I will start the BR for The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey . And this weekend I will try to get to The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson to try and start closing out the "NAME" category.

message 47: by Karen (last edited Jun 04, 2017 12:23AM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Going to try and read Treasure Island for 'and'-should be fairly quick. Like you Natalie, banking books for categories and we'll see where they can slot in. Love the link to BRs planned too-so much easier to keep track of what options are available (and most of them are set up to fit categories this month).

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Natalie and Ananya, found this edition of The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey - 512 pages
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10079 comments Remembered to post my review this time! Just one more book for 'and' and the category is complete. Alyson, how are you going with Harry Potter?

message 50: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Finished Daughter of Smoke & Bone and now I can try focussing on the others I'm also trying to read (once again, I'm reading far too many books at once - go me! :P). I'm really keen to read the rest of the series this month because that book was INCREDIBLE, so if anyone's keen to set up a series read for it, the series should cover in total the following keywords (some more than once):
Of, And, Bone, Day, Blood, Light, Night & Dream

I see that Ananya and Julianne are keen for at least the second, are you perhaps keen for the third as well? ;D (And the ebook 2.5 is also surprisingly long enough o.O)

---

@Karen

Yeah, I got a bit bored during a break at work and figured if I organised all the current June BRs into a spreadsheet it would help everyone decide on potential books to read XD;; I always have so many books I want to read at all times that having something to focus on to actually CHOOSE books from accordingly is a huge help :|

« previous 1 3 4 5 6