75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2022 Chat > Memorial Day Readathon!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7812 comments Mod
It's that time again. Another 3-day weekend for a wonderful Readathon! This one snuck up on me, to be honest! lol. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to read but I will definitely getting some in during the nights, except Friday night. For once, I'm busy all weekend except Monday so Monday will be my read all day!! Hopefully the weather will be beautiful because I just bought a new chaise for my deck and it's *delightful*. :)

As for goals, I'm not doing a page count or book number. I will be putting any 'Currently Reading' books on hold and will solely focus on my Read What You Own books because I haven't made any progress on them in awhile.

Who else will be joining me this weekend and what are you goals?

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 06:05AM) (new)

Ok so I want to work on the physical RWYO books I have that I chose for other challenges I'm doing this year so this is my TBR for the weekend (in no particular order):

The Color of Fire
Scribbling the Cat: Travels with an African Soldier
Still Life
Love That Boy: What Two Presidents, Eight Road Trips, and My Son Taught Me About a Parent's Expectations
Hannah's Winter
And Then There Were None
The Color Purple

I'm definitely overestimating since I have plans Friday night, Saturday morning, and most of Sunday but I like to be prepared and I won't want to waste time looking for my next read. :) They're already pulled off my shelves and stacked on my table!

message 3: by Karina (new)

Karina | 875 comments My goal is to finish a book on my currently reading list that's on my kindle that I have put on the back burner. I am traveling on my honeymoon Friday, so I have plenty of time to read on the plane. I'm hoping to read three books! Two of them being Read What You Own!

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Karina wrote: "My goal is to finish a book on my currently reading list that's on my kindle that I have put on the back burner. I am traveling on my honeymoon Friday, so I have plenty of time to read on the plane..."

Woot honeymoon! Did you just get married? Congrats! Where are you headed? I did do some reading on my honeymoon. :)

message 5: by Karina (new)

Karina | 875 comments Elyse wrote: "Karina wrote: "My goal is to finish a book on my currently reading list that's on my kindle that I have put on the back burner. I am traveling on my honeymoon Friday, so I have plenty of time to re..."

I got married on the 13th! Heading to Panama and there looks like there might be rain in the forecast! But even then, I always read while lounging on by the pool :)

message 6: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy I am looking forward to a quiet, book-filled weekend and am also going to further tackle my RWYO books on my bedroom bookshelf. I've been trying to match these to a game challenge I'm currently doing as well and am having so much fun doing it!!

message 7: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments I will join in too. My goal is to finish I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb.

message 8: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1533 comments I'm going out of town so I don't know how much reading I'll be able to get in. On the other hand, I'll probably be looking for an excuse to run away and get some time to myself, so we'll see.

message 9: by Lori (last edited May 25, 2017 05:54AM) (new)

Lori | 411 comments I am working until Monday morning so I will be reading as much as work will allow. I have 3 books going right now so my goal will be to finish them and then I can go back to the stack on my bedside table.

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Karina wrote: "I got married on the 13th! Heading to Panama and there looks like there might be rain in the forecast! But even then, I always read while lounging on by the pool :) y..."

Awesome congrats! Have fun on the beach! Or by the pool. ;)

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2867 comments I'm in! The bad news is I have to work a bit, but the good news is that I can listen to audio books while I work.

As far as goals, I hope to finish 3-4 books that I have already started so that I can take 3-4 books out of my To Read Folder.

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I've been looking for a Memorial Day readathon, and I'm so glad I finally found one. My hope is to get through at least 5 books, but we'll see. I'm reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, and it's put me in a nasty reading slump. I would like to read
Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor Looking for Group by Rory Harrison Catalyst A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars) by James Luceno Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Island of Tory (Island of Tory, #1) by Regina M. Geither .

message 13: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "I've been looking for a Memorial Day readathon, and I'm so glad I finally found one. My hope is to get through at least 5 books, but we'll see. I'm reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, and it's put..."

Good list, Kayla, and welcome to the group! :) I want to read Binti and Illuminae so I hope you get through them and give your thoughts!

message 14: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I've been looking for a Memorial Day readathon, and I'm so glad I finally found one. My hope is to get through at least 5 books, but we'll see. I'm reading A Court of Thorns and Roses..."

I'm hoping to at least get through Binti because it's only 96 pages. I've started Illuminae, and it's not holding my interest at all, but I'm only 20 pages in so far.

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2017 03:02PM) (new)

Home from work and have cancelled plans for tonight (was going to a friend's concert but its 1.25 hrs away and starts at 9pm so nooope!) so the reading will begin immediately! I decided to go in order of length, shortest to longest, so I'm starting with And Then There Were None at 173 pages.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (cocoreads70) | 9 comments I have a lot going on this weekend as well, and I just found this group but I'm planning on focusing on my current reads--both library books and owned books. It would be great to start the next month off fresh. My current reads are:
Melt by Helen Hardt (library)
Sting by Sandra Brown (library)
Book in a Month by Victoria Schmidt (own)
Anti-Romance by Cassia Leo (own)
Riveted by Jay Crownover (own)
Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes (own)
Windy City Blues by Renee Rosen (own)

message 17: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1533 comments Tonight I read 75 pages of Three Sisters, Three Queens. It's the large print edition, so even though I'm just about halfway through, I've still got over 400 pages to go. Not sure that'll happen by Monday, but I'll certainly give it a shot.

message 18: by Forgetfulone (new)

Forgetfulone | 2 comments I'm in! I've already read some today, but I'm not sure how many pages. I will be spending 13-14 hours in the car this weekend, so I will have plenty of time on my hands. I just finished a book, so I better hurry and figure out what's next on my list.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 30 comments I'm in. I started Demonglass, by Rachel Hawkins, and I'm also currently reading Black Power, by Stokely Carmichael, The Pier Falls, by Mark Haddon, and Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis. I hope to at least finish these 4 books this weekend, and probably the third book in Hawkins's trilogy.

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 27, 2017 05:00AM) (new)

So my goal was to finish And Then There Were None last night and I should have had no problem buuuut my early morning (got up at 4:30am) got the better of me and I slept for a few hours on the couch, book in hand, then caught up on social media for an hour, then went to bed. lol. I will finish it this morning! A few errands to run today and then some friends coming over later for grilling but I should be able to get some reading done this morning and later tonight.

message 21: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Forgetfulone wrote: "I'm in! I've already read some today, but I'm not sure how many pages. I will be spending 13-14 hours in the car this weekend, so I will have plenty of time on my hands. I just finished a book, so ..."

You can read in the car? You're so lucky! 5 minutes in and I'm nauseous. :(

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (cocoreads70) | 9 comments I was up and down a lot last night so I got a few more chapters of Melt in so I should be able to finish that today. I'm halfway through Book In A Month and it's mostly worksheets and schedules at this point so I may finish it today as well. I do need to run to the store so I can make food for tomorrow's party and do some housework but mostly I want to read.

message 23: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I finished A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas , and absolutely hated it. I'm 17% through Looking for Group by Rory Harrison , and it's okay so far.

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (cocoreads70) | 9 comments Finished Melt. But even though it's not a great series, the conspiracy/mystery part has me sucked in and I downloaded the next 2 in the series (which is all there are for the moment). Going to keep plugging away at Book in a month but may abandon my other planned reads to read these next 2 Steel Brothers books.

message 25: by Rachel Joy (last edited May 27, 2017 11:24AM) (new)

Rachel Joy First book finished this weekend:

Black Wings (Black Wings, #1) by Christina Henry by Christina Henry May 27th

This was sooo good and I wish I could get my hands on book #2 . . . like now ;)!

message 26: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1533 comments 157 pages today. 309 to go.

message 27: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 28, 2017 02:05PM) (new)

I finished And Then There Were None just before midnight last night (SO GOOD) and started reading The Color of Fire, 198 pages. I barely did any reading yesterday and today we're going to a friend's birthday party but after 5, I will be only reading!!

message 28: by Rachel Joy (last edited May 28, 2017 09:53AM) (new)

Rachel Joy Second book finished this weekend:

Sepulchre (Languedoc, #2) by Kate Mosse by Kate Mosse May 28th

Really fun reread.

message 29: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (cocoreads70) | 9 comments Finished Burn by Helen Hardt. Onto Surrender and then I have to wait till the end of August to read the next train wreck. I have to admit--these books are growing on me .

message 30: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I finished Island of Tory (Island of Tory, #1) by Regina M. Geither . Now I'm starting Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor .

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Done with all of my weekend obligations, except laundry, and ready to really dig into this Readathon! In my comfies, got my tea, ready to power through The Color of Fire.

message 32: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I just finished Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor , and Attack on Titan Anthology by Scott Snyder . Now I'm spending the rest of the night reading Catalyst A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars) by James Luceno .

message 33: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

How was Binti?

message 34: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1533 comments 80 pages today. 229 to go. Probably not going to happen tomorrow.

message 35: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Elyse wrote: "How was Binti?"

Binti was amazing. I loved it.

message 36: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I finished Looking for Group by Rory Harrison . It was meh. Now I'm still working on reading Catalyst A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars) by James Luceno . I don't think I'm going to finish it today, but I'd love to get at least 200 pages.

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Today has been a lazy day to say the least. Not nice enough outside to hang out on my chaise, been catching up on my DVR, napped. Read a little. I finished The Color of Fire late last night and started Hannah's Winter (210 pages) this morning but haven't progressed much. I'm hoping to get a spurt of reading energy and finish it today, then go back to my current reads that I paused on Friday, I is for Innocent and The Signature of All Things.

message 38: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "Elyse wrote: "How was Binti?"

Binti was amazing. I loved it."

Good to hear!! Hoping to get it from the library soon and the sequel! I guess the third comes out in January!

message 39: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (cocoreads70) | 9 comments I finished Surrender by Helen Hardt so now I'm done with that series until August when the next book comes out. I also finished Book in a Month by Victoria Schmidt in perpetration for Nanowrimo in November. I've read a couple chapters of Sting by Sandra Brown but I made the mistake of turning on the tv and have now been sucked into a marathon of Scientology and the Aftermath with Leah Remini. I'd say my readathon is done.

message 40: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1533 comments 105 pages read today. I can probably finish this book up tomorrow, so... not an official readathon win, but I'll take it. Especially for a weekend when I wasn't sure at all how much reading time I'd be able to find.

message 41: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments It's officially past midnight in my time zone, so the readathon is over for me. I read 3 out of the 5 books I wanted to read, and read 50 pages of a book that wasn't on my original tbr, so I consider that a win.

message 42: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 09:27AM) (new)

Colleen wrote: "I finished Surrender by Helen Hardt so now I'm done with that series until August when the next book comes out. I also finished Book in a Month by Victoria Schmidt in perpetration for Nanowrimo in ..."

Leah Remini's show is horrifyingly fascinating! And I also made the mistake of turning on the TV. lol. Monday mostly wasted but I did need to catch up on some shows!

message 43: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I read 2 books and got 32 pages into the third. I definitely could've focused more yesterday but it was so dreary out and I had a busy weekend so I napped and DVR-binged. I don't feel bad. ;) Next one for the 4th of July I'll do better! So far no plans. haha

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2867 comments Am very pleased with how I did on the read-a-thon. My goal was to finish 3-4 books (that I already started). I was able to finish 5!!! So in celebration went to sleep 30 minutes early!

5. The Saint Meets the Tiger by Charteris, Leslie, finished May 29, 2017

4. A Man Called Ove by Backman, Fredrik, finished May 29, 2017

3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by
Fluke, Joanne, finished May 28, 2017

2. Summer of the Wolves by Carlson-Voiles, Polly, finished
May 27, 2017

1. Endangered (Joe Pickett, #15) by Box, C.J., finished May 27, 2017

PLUS I got decent chunks started in other 3 books I started.

message 45: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (cocoreads70) | 9 comments 4th of July readathon will probably be a no go for me. My aunt will be up from Florida that week and I haven't seen her in a couple years so I probably won't get much reading done. Although if it rains, I may get some in. I'll see how it goes.

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2867 comments Elyse wrote: "I read 2 books and got 32 pages into the third. I definitely could've focused more yesterday but it was so dreary out and I had a busy weekend so I napped and DVR-binged. I don't feel bad. ;) Next ..."

I'm up for the 4th! But we have a lot of family togetherness going on that weekend, so we know what that means...

message 47: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Am very pleased with how I did on the read-a-thon. My goal was to finish 3-4 books (that I already started). I was able to finish 5!!! So in celebration went to sleep 30 minutes early!

5. The Sain..."

Great job, Carol!

message 48: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I read 2 books and got 32 pages into the third. I definitely could've focused more yesterday but it was so dreary out and I had a busy weekend so I napped and DVR-binged. I don't feel..."

That means you're going to have to sneak away to read! ;)

message 49: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "It's officially past midnight in my time zone, so the readathon is over for me. I read 3 out of the 5 books I wanted to read, and read 50 pages of a book that wasn't on my original tbr, so I consid..."

Great job, Kayla!

message 50: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "105 pages read today. I can probably finish this book up tomorrow, so... not an official readathon win, but I'll take it. Especially for a weekend when I wasn't sure at all how much reading time I'..."

Any reading done when you don't think you will have time is good!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.