YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Team Threads Archive > Team Manta Ray (F) - chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 199 (199 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Shae (last edited Jun 09, 2017 06:34PM) (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Manta Ray (F) Members:

Trisha >>> Checked in
PreePree >>> Checked in
Shae >>> Checked in
Morgan >>> Checked in
Ally >>> Checked in
Jade >>>Checked in
Vivi >>> Checked in
Zuzia >>> Checked in
Tiffany >>> Checked in
Kerri >>> Checked in

Please Check in as soon as you can :)

Reviews Thread : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Word document edit thread:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q...

First Five words

Our key words:
10. Blue
30. Light
50. Love
13. Angel
22. Dream

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82899 comments Mod
Adding vivi to your team ☺

message 3: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1330 comments Hi, I'm checking in :)

message 4: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Awesome :) Will be good to work with you again Vivi! Have you got any books in mind for our first 5 words? I'm thinking we need to make some kind of spreadsheet or tracking post. If I can figure out a spreadsheet I will do it :)

message 5: by Vivi (last edited May 26, 2017 01:55AM) (new)

Vivi | 1330 comments Shae wrote: "Awesome :) Will be good to work with you again Vivi! Have you got any books in mind for our first 5 words? I'm thinking we need to make some kind of spreadsheet or tracking post. If I can figure ou..."

Will be great playing with you again Shae :)

I've been looking around and I have:

A Different Blue by Amy Harmon for Blue,

Cuts Like An Angel by Mason Sabre for Angel,

In Your Dreams (In Your Dreams, #1) by Amy Martin for Dream,

Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1) by Anyta Sunday or This is Not a Love Story (Love Story Universe) by Suki Fleet for Love,

The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen for light.

Also, I recommend the Gives Light (Gives Light, #1) by Rose Christo series or His Light in the Dark by L.A. Fiore for light... absolutely loved those books :)

Now, I don't know still which of the books above I'll be reading... and I can only read like 4 books a month tops, sadly.

And I think the spreadsheet is a good idea. If you don't know how to do it (I don't either) we can always just do a progress or completed books thread.

message 6: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Cool! I am not the quickest reader so won't be able to read heaps of books, probably around 4 for the month too. Maybe more if I really push myself. I have a few options for each one, but not Dream. I'll post my options when I'm not on the app. Should we aim to try and focus on all words over the month, or work as a team to get rid of one word at a time so we get new words and the bonus points?

message 7: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments So my options are:

Blue
Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse The Truth About Peacock Blue by Rosanne Hawke

Angel
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee (there's a buddy read of this)

Love
F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern (potential buddy read)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han (buddy read)

Light
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan (buddy read)

Don't have any for Dream

message 8: by Vivi (last edited May 26, 2017 08:54AM) (new)

Vivi | 1330 comments Shae wrote: "Cool! I am not the quickest reader so won't be able to read heaps of books, probably around 4 for the month too. Maybe more if I really push myself. I have a few options for each one, but not Dream..."

I think working as a team to complete 4 books for a key word, would be best! that way we can get more points and other key words which may be easier.

we have some key words that our teammates will easily have a book for (like "Love") so I guess we should just pick a key word or 2 to start the month with.

I vote for us to start with "LOVE" and "ANGEL"... I guess those might be the easiest to find books for.

we're a team of 7, so if each of us reads a book for 1 of these key words (one of us will have to read 2 books) we'll complete 8 books and 2 key words quickly :)

anyways, I'll wait for the other teammates opinion... let me know what you guys think...

message 9: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Yes I think that's a great idea! Love and angel seem like good one.s.
I guess once we hear from the other team mates we will know what will be easy to choose based on if they have books ready.
I like this idea as for people that read fast, they can read books for other words after we have focused on the main words (I know this will probably not be me haha but id like to think it could be).

message 10: by Vivi (last edited May 26, 2017 08:57AM) (new)

Vivi | 1330 comments Shae wrote: "Yes I think that's a great idea! Love and angel seem like good one.s.
I guess once we hear from the other team mates we will know what will be easy to choose based on if they have books ready.
I ..."

yeah, I feel you Shae... wish I could read faster too... It always amazes me how some people can read like 2/3 books a week, when I can barely read 1.

message 11: by Zuzia (new)

Zuzia | 99 comments Hi! Checking in :)

I vote for choosing 2 words to focus on and get rid of so we get the points and maybe easier words.

Since we still have a few days before the challenge officially starts, I think it would work if we searched for books for all the words, compiled a list and saw which words we'd get the most points from, like which words we'd get the highest page count from since we get more points for longer books.

Maybe let's look for books and work on the list today (the 26th) and make a decision about the words to focus on the 27th so we all have a few days to get our hands on the books? Idk about everyone else, but I'd have to get mine from the library.

If no one objects, I could create a post with the books people have suggested so far along with how many points we'd get from them and update it as we find more books.

message 12: by Trisha (last edited Jun 13, 2017 09:25AM) (new)

Trisha Hey guys!

I'm checking in! I searched my books.
I can read these:

10. Blue: A Different Blue
30. Light: Alight
50. Love: The Lovely and the Lost
13. Angel: Strange Angels 6/13
22. Dream: Strange the Dreamer (but I"m reading pretty late June with a friend) or The Cure for Dreaming

I'll gauge how quickly to read these based on everyone else. If I need to read ones before others, I can (except Strange the Dreamer that I'm reading with someone else)

message 13: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 1330 comments @Zuzia, I think the post with the points is a good ideia :)

@ Trisha, we have the same book for Blue!
If we end up choosing blue as a key word to complete, Wanna Buddy Read?!

message 14: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82899 comments Mod
Adding Kerri and Tiffany to your team ☺

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 1562 comments hi guys!!

message 16: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Hello Tiffany!
@Zuzia I like the idea of working out points to see which to focus on.

Does anyone know how to set up a spreadsheet so we can jot in potential books. I have a few for each now except for Dream.
I just tried to do a spreadsheet but couldn't figure it out :/

message 17: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments Hello everyone! I'm new to this group but excited about this challenge! I'm going to look into books today. :-)

message 18: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments Trisha wrote: "Hey guys!

I'm checking in! I searched my books.
I can read these:

10. Blue: A Different Blue
30. Light: Alight
50. Love: The Lovely and the Lost
..."

I'm going to try to read Strange the Dreamer as well, but it has a long waitlist at the library.

message 19: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments So I haven't 100% finalized what I will be reading. Unfortunately there are waitlists for some of the books at the library so I'm going to keep my eye out for others that may interest me too :).

This is what I have at the moment:
BLUE: Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
LIGHT: What Light by Jay Asher
LOVE: Falling in Love with English Boys by Melissa Jensen and/or Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3) by Jenny Han like Shae
ANGEL: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare
DREAM: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater and/or Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor like Trisha

I have to say that I had a little bit of trouble with these words for inspiration!

message 20: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments @Kerri yes I had trouble especially with dream! I have a first birthday today but after I'm going to attempt again at the spreadsheet as I think it will help us with planning. Those books look great that you've got down. I recently read the Raven cycle! I also have wanted to read the jay Asher book.
With P.S I love you, can we both read it and does it therefore count as two out of four of the spots? Or does there have to be 4 different books?

message 21: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Vivi wrote: "@Zuzia, I think the post with the points is a good ideia :)

@ Trisha, we have the same book for Blue!
If we end up choosing blue as a key word to complete, Wanna Buddy Read?!"

Absolutely!!

message 22: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I'm okay with however we are doing points and reading order, but I fly out on 5/31 and won't be back home until that Sunday....

so I can take any of my books with me - I own most on my list - I'll just need to know to pack them before I fly out (I don't really want to take them all lol!)

message 23: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments @Shae Sorry, I guess I should have read through the challenge rules again before posting about my planned reads. I am completely new to the group and haven't done a challenge like this before. I saw the bonus points for buddy reads and thought that it would be beneficial for us to read the same book. I see now that I would have to set up a buddy reads in that thread to get the bonus points. Which I'm happy to do, but I can also just read one of the other books to get us to our four per word total faster. :)

message 24: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments @Zuzia, I think it is a great idea to choose 2 words to focus on first and divide up who is reading what. Does anyone have a strong preference for a book they would like to start reading first?

message 25: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I would honestly like to read all my books :)
so I'm totally open!

message 26: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments @Kerri I feel like I seen in another chat people were reading the same book and counting it for two spots, I might double check so we don't get caught out as I'm confused with it all :)

message 27: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 1 comments hello! i'm checking in :)

message 28: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Awesome :)

So I have made a word document that I think we can use and add as we go.... can someone check it out? and then ill add the link above

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q...

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 1562 comments heres my selection of books i can read:

blue:
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke Blue Moon (Blue Crystal, #1) by Pat Spence

Light:
The Light of Asteria (Kailmeyra #1) by Elizabeth Isaacs

Love:
My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn, #1) by Caroline Hanson

Angel:
Angel Dust by Sarah Mussi Dark Angel (Dark Angel, #1) by Eden Maguire Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1) by Shannon Dittemore

Dream:
Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale, #2) by Liz Braswell (Buddy read)

obviously i wont get to all of them but heres my selection to choose from

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 1562 comments Shae we can't look at the doc unless you give us access

message 31: by Zuzia (last edited May 29, 2017 03:51PM) (new)

Zuzia | 99 comments Here are the points we would get from these books for our first words:

Blue (19)

A Different Blue by Amy Harmon 3 Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse 3 The Truth About Peacock Blue by Rosanne Hawke 2 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson 3 Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater 3
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke 3 Blue Moon (Blue Crystal, #1) by Pat Spence 2

Angel (25)
Cuts Like An Angel by Mason Sabre 4
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee 2 Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1) by Lili St. Crow 2 Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare 4
Guardian Angel (Aramov, #2) by Robert Muchamore 3 Angel Dust by Sarah Mussi 3 Dark Angel (Dark Angel, #1) by Eden Maguire 3
Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1) by Shannon Dittemore 3 How Angel Peterson Got His Name by Gary Paulsen 1

Dream (20)
In Your Dreams (In Your Dreams, #1) by Amy Martin 2
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen 2 Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor 5 The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters 3 The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater 4 Once Upon a Dream (A Twisted Tale, #2) by Liz Braswell 4

Love (35)

Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1) by Anyta Sunday 3 This Is Not a Love Story by Suki Fleet 2 F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher 2
Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern 5 To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han 3 P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2) by Jenny Han 3 I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter 2 The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2) by Page Morgan 3 Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniel 2
Falling in Love with English Boys by Melissa Jensen 2
Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3) by Jenny Han 3
My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey 2
Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn, #1) by Caroline Hanson 3

Light (25)

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman 3
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan 3 The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen 3 Gives Light (Gives Light, #1) by Rose Christo 2 His Light in the Dark by L.A. Fiore 4
Alight (The Generations Trilogy, #2) by Scott Sigler 4 What Light by Jay Asher 2 The Light of Asteria (Kailmeyra #1) by Elizabeth Isaacs 4

message 32: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (blackrose388) | 224 comments Checking in!

message 33: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments I think I need emails to let people edit the document? If you want to private message me I can add them, or if someone knows how I can share that would be great. In the other group I was in I just had to request to edit and then it had to be accepted.

message 34: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments @Shae. I sent a request to be added. My email is klf.choate@yahoo.com if that's easier. Thanks so much for setting this up!

So there are ten of us in the group, yes? Should we choose 4 of us to work on the 1st word, 4 to work on the 2nd, and then 2 to get started on another word? That way we don't have more than 4 people reading books for a key word when we only need 4 to get the points (right?). I personally am happy to cover any of the words as needed.

message 35: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments I think that's a great idea! Once I'm on my laptop I'll see if I have any requests and then try and approve them so we can all start adding what we have. Maybe if we look at what books we have planned and which one would get us the most points (page number/ buddy) and also we are keenest to read and then go from there? We can fill all the other blanks after that, so that way everyone has a primary book (two and a half words will be filled with our primary books) and the rest can be covered with other books if people have time as some people maybe read quicker than others. What would everyone's be?
Mine would be a buddy read of "Love Rosie" by Cecelia ahern, as I will get double points for the buddy and it's 512 pages, so that will be 10 points.

message 36: by Trisha (last edited May 29, 2017 11:45AM) (new)

Trisha I pack tonight and fly out early tomorrow

Is it okay if claim:

Angel:
Strange Angels

&

Blue:
A Different Blue <~~ Vivi and I can set up and buddy read this!

message 37: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (I also sent request to edit)

message 38: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments @Trisha--sounds good! Would anyone else like to claim a spot for Angel or Blue?

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Heywood (tiffthebooknerd) | 1562 comments Shae my email is Tiffanyheywood13@gmail.com

message 40: by Zuzia (last edited May 29, 2017 03:51PM) (new)

Zuzia | 99 comments I'll be reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson for blue and How Angel Peterson Got His Name by Gary Paulsen for angel.

message 41: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q...

For some reason it will not show any requests? I have added the emails but im not sure if that worked so ive changed the settings so that anyone with this link can edit, let me know if it works :)

message 42: by Ally (new)

Ally Guay (allyguay) | 116 comments checking in!:)

message 43: by Ally (new)

Ally Guay (allyguay) | 116 comments I have a book for every word.
-For blue, I have "All of the Blue Eyed Angels"
- For light, I have "Stoolie Beetch and the Dying Light"
-For love, I have "Easy Love"
- For angel I have, "My Book of Life by angel"
- And for dream I have, "Broken Dreams"

message 44: by Morgan (last edited May 31, 2017 01:51PM) (new)

Morgan (blackrose388) | 224 comments Okay so it looks like we can read the same book for the same word so do we want to set up some buddy reads together?

I'm definitely up for Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke and Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor when I can get them from my library. I've been meaning to start the Raven Boys series for awhile also so I could read those too.

message 45: by Vivi (last edited May 31, 2017 02:01PM) (new)

Vivi | 1330 comments Trisha wrote: "I pack tonight and fly out early tomorrow

Is it okay if claim:

Angel:
Strange Angels

&

Blue:
A Different Blue <~~ Vivi and I can set up and buddy read this!"

Trisha, let Buddy Read then :)

when do you wanna start A Different Blue?

message 46: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (lilspringonion) | 266 comments So I requested Always and Forever, Lara Jean through my library before joining this challenge, and it's actually arriving within the next couple days. So I will be reading it in the next couple weeks for sure before I have to return it. Shae, did you want to buddy read that? If not, I will definitely be tackling other words too.
I was thinking of the Raven Cycle books since they have 2 books that cover 2 of our words (Dream and Blue).

message 47: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments I would if I had read the first two :( I still need to read those. I'm sure there will be someone to buddy read if you request in the buddy read thread? As I've seen some interest for the series.
Ok great, so are we just going to fill in books in the table and go from there? Or try and focus on a few words to get them out of the way? I have books for every section but dream. The two I put in are two planned buddy reads which start today. So I'll get to them the quickest.

message 48: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Do you all want to fill in the document so we know what's filled and if two people are buddying we can fill two spots so we know we don't have to add an extra book :) ps once I'm on my computer I'll put the edit link at the first comment and also add the check ins that just happened (the app is hard to do all of that haha)

message 49: by Morgan (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:54PM) (new)

Morgan (blackrose388) | 224 comments I've added the books I can definitely read. It looks like we already have enough books to fill blue and dream.

@Kerri I've picked up the first two books in the Raven Cycle series and I should have the third one from the library sometime in the next couple of days. We can buddy read those if you wanted to do that. I'm free to start whenever although I may be a little busy next week and won't be able to read as much as usual. Also we could buddy read Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor . I'm still waiting to get mine, I think I should have it in the next couple of days.

Also do we know if books that don't fill descriptions can still be counted since the first book in the Raven Cycle series currently does not match any of our keywords?

message 50: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments apparently we can use books for points but not to go for words to get the bonus points if that makes sense.. so I think its like previous challenges.

I will have a look at the document. That's great we have covered blue and dream :) I will work on Love Rosie and then maybe try and do another love one if it needs filling.

Are we mainly working on the same words together at the same time to get new words? so for example if there are 4 people for blue are you all working on those books first so then its done, or are we just all working on what we can and not worrying too much?

Haha hope that makes sense :P

« previous 1 3 4