The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.13 - JennRenee's Task: A Busy Year of Changes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 26, 2017 04:12AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4535 comments Mod
30.13 - JennRenee's Task: A Busy Year of Changes

This year has been a very busy year for us. We have sold our old house, had a wedding, and signed a contract on a new build home. It’s been busy and at times stressful but so wonderful. For this task choose one of the following three options and read two books for that option. REQUIRED: Specify in your post the option that you chose.

A. An old house ready to go for the sale
Book 1 - We had to go through everything and get rid of anything old, unused, forgotten or broken
Read a book with the word old, forgotten, broken, unused in the title/subtitle. The words must match exactly.

Book 2- Once our house was cleared out we had to fix things, paint things, and clean clean clean. It was as if we had to redo the entire house from old to new.
Read a book with Retelling as a main page genre – the genre may be stand alone or embedded

B. The wedding of my daughter
Book 1 - This was so much fun. It was a small wedding and we really only had the basics and held it in our family’s back yard. It was simple yet beautiful.
Read a book with a white dress, bowtie, gold band, diamond ring, or cake /cake slice on the cover. These items do not need to be wedding specific items. example…. The white dress can be any type of white dress as long it is a white dress. The cake can be any cake, does not need to be a wedding cake.
Examples: 100 Days of Cake by Shari Goldhagen What Would Mary Berry Do? by Claire Sandy Dissever (Unbinding Fate, #1) by Colee Firman

REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post

Book 2- Once the ceremony was over we were able to celebrate all the love and happiness for the new couple.
Read a book with an author whose initials can be found in MRANDMRS - middle initials can be ignored. If there is more than one author, only one author's initials must be found in the target word.

C. New house is awaiting us.
Book 1 - We have been anticipating this house since January when we signed our contract. We are now just about 2 months from moving in.
Read a book first published in 2017 that you have long anticipated.

Book 2- Our favorite things about the new house… the wonderful big back porch and simple front porch. This is the first house I had with either front or back porch. I am super excited to move in and start reading on my porches.
Read a book with a house or a porch on the cover.
Example: Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5) by Mark Tufo

REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post

message 2: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Yes

message 3: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments No

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4535 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Hi, I know this is a bit sheer, and it's a baby's dress, but, would it work as a white dress?

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Thanks!

message 6: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Terri FL wrote: "Hi, I know this is a bit sheer, and it's a baby's dress, but, would it work as a white dress?

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Thanks!"

Yup it will work.

message 7: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Would Fairy Tale Retellings work as a genre for the Retelling task?

message 8: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Camilla wrote: "Would Fairy Tale Retellings work as a genre for the Retelling task?"

Yes as long as retelling is included.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 655 comments Can I get Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty confirmed for "Retellings"?

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty confirmed for "Retellings"?"

Confirmed

message 11: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please confirm:

Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker

for "Retelling",please?

Thanks!

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Pia wrote: "Can you please confirm:

Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker

for "Retelling",please?

Thanks!"

Confirmed.

message 13: by Christine (last edited May 24, 2017 05:38PM) (new)

Christine | 710 comments Could you please confirm New Boy and Longbourn for Retelling? Thanks!

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1648 comments For Option B Book 2, if a book has two authors but only one has initials in MRANDMRS is that acceptable?

Example: Mouse and Dragon by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (SM for Steve Miller works but SL for Sharon Lee does not)

message 15: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Reader (Daughter of Time, #1) by Erec Stebbins

Would you count this as a white dress?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments would this count as house on the cover? The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

message 17: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Julia wrote: "For Option B Book 2, if a book has two authors but only one has initials in MRANDMRS is that acceptable?

Example: Mouse and Dragon by Sharon Lee and [author:Steve Mi..."

both confirmed.

message 18: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Julia wrote: "For Option B Book 2, if a book has two authors but only one has initials in MRANDMRS is that acceptable?

Example: Mouse and Dragon by Sharon Lee and [author:Steve Mi..."

i think that is fine. I will hav the task updated where only one author needs to fit the criteria.

message 19: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Maya wrote: "Reader (Daughter of Time, #1) by Erec Stebbins

Would you count this as a white dress?"

yup this works

message 20: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "would this count as house on the cover? The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom"

yup I see a house. you are good.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments thanks :)

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Here's another to verify it's a white dress:

Run to You (Risking it All, #1) by Rachel Lacey

Thanks!

message 23: by Bridgett (last edited May 25, 2017 01:54PM) (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Do either of these work for houses on cover?

Shelter by Jung Yun Hillbilly Elegy A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

message 24: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Melanie wrote: "Here's another to verify it's a white dress:

Run to You (Risking it All, #1) by Rachel Lacey

Thanks!"

Thai works

message 25: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments BriKie wrote: "Do either of these work for houses on cover?

Shelter by Jung Yun Hillbilly Elegy A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance"

Both of these work

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim | 640 comments For option C.2, is it a single house or can there be more than one?

An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2) by Patrick Taylor

Thank you.

message 27: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kim wrote: "For option C.2, is it a single house or can there be more than one?

An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2) by Patrick Taylor

Thank you."

As long as there is at least one you are good. So this works

message 28: by Megs (new)

Megs (meganlikesbooks) | 62 comments Are cupcakes considered as "cake/cake slice"?

I'm thinking of reading Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay

message 29: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Would this be okay for a house on the cover? Thank you!

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

message 30: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Megs wrote: "Are cupcakes considered as "cake/cake slice"?

I'm thinking of reading Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay"

No sorry. Won't work. Needs to be an actual cake.

message 31: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Bryony wrote: "Would this be okay for a house on the cover? Thank you!

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros"

Yes this works.

message 32: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Does this work for a bowtie on the cover?
Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly

message 33: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Brooke wrote: "Does this work for a bowtie on the cover?
Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly"

Yup sure does.

message 34: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Would this work:
The Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen Loigman

message 35: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Sally wrote: "Would this work:
The Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen Loigman"

Yup looks like a house to me

message 36: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments JennRenee wrote: "Sally wrote: "Would this work:
The Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen Loigman"

Yup looks like a house to me"

Woot woot!

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 344 comments I was wondering if any of these would be okay for house on the cover:

Bedrock Faith by Eric Charles May

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Mendelssohn Is On The Roof by Jiří Weil

Thank you!

message 38: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Stephanie wrote: "I was wondering if any of these would be okay for house on the cover:

This one doesn't do enough to see a house

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Mendelssohn Is On The Roof by Jiří Weil
..."

These two I say work

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 344 comments JennRenee wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I was wondering if any of these would be okay for house on the cover:

This one doesn't do enough to see a house

[bookcover:The Casual Vacanc..."

Thank you!

message 40: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 881 comments Ok for white dress?
Falling Leaves The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah

message 41: by JennRenee (last edited Jun 02, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Ann A wrote: "Ok for white dress?
Falling Leaves The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah"

Yup I see a white dress

message 42: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Looking to get retellings verified as main page genre:
Unearthly Things

message 43: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Morgan wrote: "Looking to get retellings verified as main page genre:
Unearthly Things

verified.

message 44: by Trish (last edited Jun 06, 2017 06:25AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2468 comments Just checking if this is white enough for "Wedding" Book 1. It certainly looks like a wedding dress to me:
A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1) by Annette Blair

Dark, Witch & Creamy (Bewitched by Chocolate #1) by H.Y. Hanna Or how about this for cake?

message 45: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Trish wrote: "Just checking if this is white enough for "Wedding" Book 1. It certainly looks like a wedding dress to me:
A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1) by Annette Blair

Dark, Witch & Creamy (Bewitched by Chocolate #1) by H.Y. Hanna And how..."

Both work

message 46: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2468 comments JennRenee wrote: "Trish wrote: "Just checking if this is white enough for "Wedding" Book 1. It certainly looks like a wedding dress to me:

Both work "

Thanks!

message 47: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Would this qualify for "bow-tie"? I think it will -- click on the cover and expand it, and then look at the necks of the gentlemen in the back row. It looks like they are all wearing white bow ties.
Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant

message 48: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Deedee wrote: "Would this qualify for "bow-tie"? I think it will -- click on the cover and expand it, and then look at the necks of the gentlemen in the back row. It looks like they are all wearing white bow ties..."

Yes I see the bowties

message 49: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Jenn, hi, does this look like a house???
The Secret of Spellshadow Manor (Spellshadow Manor, #1) by Bella Forrest

Thanks!

message 50: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Cindy AL wrote: "Jenn, hi, does this look like a house???
The Secret of Spellshadow Manor (Spellshadow Manor, #1) by Bella Forrest

Thanks!"

Yup sure does

« previous 1