The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.10 - Andy P's Task: Calendar Boy

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2017 03:28PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
Task 30.10 - Andy P's Task: Calendar Boy

One of my dogs has become somewhat famous. His picture appears in two 2017 dog related calendars. One is a USA publication Poodles published by Brown Trout in which he is the Bonus Dog which means his photo is used for the six month period covering the last part of 2016. The second is a UK publication, Poodle Toy and Miniature, published by Aronside Publishing Ltd. In this calendar he is the August Dog.

For this task, the following guidelines apply:
1. No book with children or kids as a genre appearing on the book's main page may be used.
2. This is a two book task. One book should fulfill the requirement for Book 1, the second for book 2
3. The total page count for the two books should be 500 or more pages.

Book 1. Read a book written by a single author whose initials can be found in Either the word AUGUST OR in the word BONUS, NOT a combination of both words. ALL initials count so if an author writes under initials plus last name, all THREE initials must be found in the target word.

For example, a book by Stephen Booth (Bonus) OR Aline Templeton (August) would work but Neil Gaiman (N in Bonus, G in August) would not.

Book 2. Calendar Boy Sammy is a Miniature Poodle who is very smart but like many poodles he has little interest in learning a new skill unless it is fun.. So, read a book whose title(subtitles are excluded) contains ALL the letters in the word PARTY
The letters do NOT have to be consecutive although they may be.
Examples:
Luncheon of the Boating Party - Party as a word
The Far Empty - the fAR emPTY

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Reserved for comments

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Reserved for more comments

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments I do believe we need a picture of your pup for inspiration

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments I'd like to confirm The Pox Party for a lack of childrens... not sure if I can do that or not but I figured I'd give it a shot!

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15614 comments Mod
Maya wrote: "I'd like to confirm The Pox Party for a lack of childrens... not sure if I can do that or not but I figured I'd give it a shot!"

A lack of genre cannot be verified.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Dee wrote: "I do believe we need a picture of your pup for inspiration"

I am a real Luddite when it comes to things computer so posting a picture is not an option. You can visit one of those calendar places that are popular in malls and if they have the Brown Trout Poodle one he should be on the flip side of the cover.

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Sandy wrote: "Maya wrote: "I'd like to confirm The Pox Party for a lack of childrens... not sure if I can do that or not but I figured I'd give it a shot!"

A lack of genre cannot be verified."

I didn't think so, but I figured I'd give it a try ;) Thanks!

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Poodles - Bonus Image

Poodle (Toy & Miniature) -
August

Are these the right pics of your puppy?

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Poodles - Bonus Image

Poodle (Toy & Miniature) -
August

Are these the right pics of your puppy?"

Yes, He is the bonus dog in the first, down in the right hand corner
and in the second he is the August dog. Thanks for posting them.
Andy

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Happy to help. Like Dee, I was curious to see him. Good looking dog.

Does this mean I get bonus points? Just kidding. ;)

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Happy to help. Like Dee, I was curious to see him. Good looking dog.

Does this mean I get bonus points? Just kidding. ;)"

Sorry, I don't get to award points. He is almost 4 years older than in the picture. They were taken in the fall of 2013 but he hasn't gotten any gray hair yet. (he will be six in July.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments What about hyphenated last names? Does Gene Stratton-Porter work for AUGUST?

Thanks!

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Pamela wrote: "What about hyphenated last names? Does Gene Stratton-Porter work for AUGUST?

Thanks!"

I think so but, best check with a moderator because this is one of those things that falls under a general rule for the challenge. I think it is the S that counts as the last initial but not 100% sure. Can a moderator or someone more knowledgeable than I please confirm or deny?
Andy

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "Pamela wrote: "What about hyphenated last names? Does Gene Stratton-Porter work for AUGUST?

Thanks!"

I think so but, best check with a moderator because this is one of those thin..."

Gene Stratton-Porter's initials are GS. Spaces determine names.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Andy wrote: "Pamela wrote: "What about hyphenated last names? Does Gene Stratton-Porter work for AUGUST?

Thanks!"

I think so but, best check with a moderator because this is one ..."

Thanks!
Andy

message 18: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments Does this work for option 2, containing word "party?" I know typically after the colon would be considered to be the subtitle, but it doesn't seem like it in this one: Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People

message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3367 comments Cindie wrote: "Does this work for option 2, containing word "party?" I know typically after the colon would be considered to be the subtitle, but it doesn't seem like it in this one: [book:Listen, Liberal: Or, Wh..."

I think according to the definition in the rules for the challenge , the subtitle is what comes after the colon so it won't work, Sorry
Andy