The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.7 - TessaVanessa's Task: My Favorite Things

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2017 04:00PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
30.7 - TessaVanessa's Task: My Favorite Things

This challenge is about the things that I love. For this task, the following guidelines apply:
1. No book with children or kids as a genre appearing on the book's main page may be used.
2. This is a two book task. Choose two books from two different options, and specify in your post which options you chose.
3. The total page count for the two books should be 500 or more pages.

1. I LOVE my kids. June 19th is Juneteenth. It is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. It also happens to be my son’s birthday.
Read a book with all the letters of JUNETEENTH in the title, subtitle and/or author's name.

2. I am fascinated with the history of WWII in Europe. Read a book from this Goodreads list on WWII fiction. REQUIRED: Include the page number on which your book was found in your post.
World War II Fiction.

3. Summer and sunshine are my favorite combination. It means wearing sunglasses to keep the rays out of your eyes.
Read a book with sunglasses on the cover. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

4. I love watching my nephews play sports. One of them is in a wheelchair and plays basketball. It is an awesome sight to see these kids play their hearts out and the competition is as intense as in any other game.
Read a book from this GR list that features characters who use a wheelchair. REQUIRED: Include the page number on which your book was found in your post. Characters That Use a Wheelchair.

5. I absolutely love my dogs. I have 3 labs and they are my babies. Read a book with one of the top 100 dog names as the author’s first or last name. Name must be on this website: Top 100 Dog Names. No variations of the names are allowed.

message 2: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Reserved

message 3: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments Hi!

The author I want to read is Emma Jane Holloway. Emma matches #21 for dogs. I was wondering if the author would work or would Jane negate them?

Thanks!

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 512 comments It also happens to my son's birthday ;-)

message 7: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Shree wrote: "Hi!

The author I want to read is Emma Jane Holloway. Emma matches #21 for dogs. I was wondering if the author would work or would Jane negate them?

Thanks!"

That works!

message 8: by Helen (last edited May 25, 2017 06:22PM) (new)

Helen | 108 comments Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Would this work for #3, sunglasses on the cover?

Thank you, Helen

message 9: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Helen wrote: "Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Would this work for #3, sunglasses on the cover?

Thank you, Helen"

Yes, this works!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 628 comments Will this work for option 3?

Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2) by Lisa Brackmann (sunglasses in lower left)

Thank you

message 11: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Kim wrote: "Will this work for option 3?

Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2) by Lisa Brackmann (sunglasses in lower left)

Thank you"

Yes, I see them!

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments just double checking- JUNETEENTH letters can be spread across all three of these combined: title, subtitle and author?

Thanks!

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Nicole wrote: "just double checking- JUNETEENTH letters can be spread across all three of these combined: title, subtitle and author?

Thanks!"

Never mind. I think I am reading this instead as long as those are definitely sunglasses on the cover. LOL Rani Patel in Full Effect by Sonia Patel

message 14: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Nicole wrote: "Nicole wrote: "just double checking- JUNETEENTH letters can be spread across all three of these combined: title, subtitle and author?

Thanks!"

Never mind. I think I am reading this instead as lon..."

They are sunglasses!

message 15: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) | 6 comments I was just checking to make sure this worked for sunglasses on the cover (they're purple, on the bottom right corner!)

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

message 16: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Brave wrote: "I was just checking to make sure this worked for sunglasses on the cover (they're purple, on the bottom right corner!)

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella"

Yes, those work.

message 17: by Cathy (last edited Jun 02, 2017 03:33PM) (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments Can we use a book by multiple authors for #5?

message 18: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Cathy wrote: "Can we use a book by multiple authors for #5?"

Yes, that will be fine!

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 678 comments Will 16th Seduction by James Patterson work for Option 1?

The letter in question is the "h" in 16th...does it still work if it's part of an ordinal that is preceded by actual numerals?

Thanks!

message 20: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Kristen wrote: "Will 16th Seduction by James Patterson work for Option 1?

The letter in question is the "h" in 16th...does it still work if it's part of an ordinal that is preceded b..."

Yes, that will work! Btw I love that series.

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Can I please have The Glass Room confirmed for WWII? Thanks.

message 22: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Diana wrote: "Can I please have The Glass Room confirmed for WWII? Thanks."

2. I am fascinated with the history of WWII in Europe. Read a book from this Goodreads list on WWII fiction. REQUIRED: Include the page number on which your book was found in your post.
World War II Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

I couldn't find this on the list. Could you give me the number it is? If not, maybe you could use this book for Challenge 30.5 Option 3.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Tess wrote: "Diana wrote: "Can I please have The Glass Room confirmed for WWII? Thanks."

2. I am fascinated with the history of WWII in Europe. Read a book from this Goodreads list on WWII ficti..."

Sorry, got my WWII tasks mixed up. Thanks.

message 24: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments Can I use a book by multiple authors for #1?

message 25: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Cathy wrote: "Can I use a book by multiple authors for #1?"

Yes, that will be ok.

message 26: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Would a book by L. M. Montgomery work for option 8? Her name is Lucy Maud but she only uses her initials on her books?

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15624 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "Would a book by L. M. Montgomery work for option 8? Her name is Lucy Maud but she only uses her initials on her books?"

Please see the Rules of the Challenge:
"To determine if a book fits a task moderators will rely on Goodreads’ main book page for information such as title, author name(s), Goodreads author status, page number, ratings, etc."

The moderators go by what is in the Goodreads record, not by any outside sources for authors' names.

message 28: by Nicola (last edited Jul 25, 2017 01:56PM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Would a book by L. M. Montgomery work for option 8? Her name is Lucy Maud but she only uses her initials on her books?"

Please see the Rules of the Challenge:
"To determine if a boo..."

Well that's alright then; her name is on the book page under the author bio on the right.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15624 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "Well that's alright then; her name is on the book page under the author bio on the right. ..."

It has to be the name indicated on the author line for the book on the book's main page, not just in the author bio, on the right or in a separate page. On the main page of the book, right under the title, is the Goodreads author - that one would have to say "Lucy" rather than L.M.

message 30: by Nicola (last edited Jul 25, 2017 02:54PM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Well that's alright then; her name is on the book page under the author bio on the right. ..."

It has to be the name indicated on the author line for the book on the book's main pag..."

Oh I'm glad I checked then - thank you for that.

I do think that's rather arbitrarily exclusive for no good reason though seeing as the authors full name is very clearly viewable on the book page but if that is the standard rule then that's the rule. Perhaps it will change at some point.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments Hello! For option 3, I just wanted to check that someone else could see the sunglasses on this cover.
The Genius of Jane Austen Her Love of Theatre and Why She Works in Hollywood by Paula Byrne
Thanks!

message 32: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1242 comments Melissa wrote: "Hello! For option 3, I just wanted to check that someone else could see the sunglasses on this cover.
[bookcover:The Genius of Jane Austen: Her Love of Theatre and Why She Works in Hollywood|324979..."

Yes, I see them.