Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Horror Books for Kids Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francesca (last edited May 24, 2017 02:43AM) (new)

Francesca | 408 comments My nephew is 10 and has recently taken an interest in horror (which I am thrilled about!). I was just wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for books to get him started. I don't want to push him in at the deep end. He loves the Goosebumps series (books, TV series and the movie), he loves Stranger Things, and he's really liked the few episodes of Supernatural that he has seen so far. He's also watched the Alien and the Predator movies which he also really enjoyed.

I didn't get into horror and start reading/watching horror properly until I was about 16/17 so I'm not as familiar with which books are the kind of beginner ones. The scariest things I watched/read as a kid were Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids and Goosebumps.

Any recommendations and help are appreciated!

message 2: by Silvia (last edited May 24, 2017 09:53AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 30 comments I recommend you Lockwood & Co. It is an ongoing series by Jonathan Stroud. I have read just the first volume The Screaming Staircase and it was kind of scary, but with a funny touch. I really enjoyed it. It's more a middle grade or YA book than a children's book, but I think he would enjoy it.

message 3: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments Silvia wrote: "I recommend you Lockwood & Co. It is an ongoing series by Jonathan Stroud. I have read just the first volume The Screaming Staircase and it was kind of scary, but with a funny touch. I really enjoy..."

Oh, thank you. That sounds good!

message 4: by Sci-Fi & Scary (new)

Sci-Fi & Scary (scifiandscary) I second the Lockwood and Company recommendation! The Screaming Staircase was excellent!

Also (though this might be one you want to pre-read to judge his readiness for it), I just finished The Nest by Kenneth Oppel, which is a kids book, and it was seriously creepy!

message 5: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 30 comments Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "I second the Lockwood and Company recommendation! The Screaming Staircase was excellent!

Also (though this might be one you want to pre-read to judge his readiness for it), I just finished The Nes..."

Yes! The Screaming Staircase was excellent!!!! I also think that the pre-reading is a good suggestion.

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Here's a thread from a while ago that should have some good suggestions:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "Here's a thread from a while ago that should have some good suggestions:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Ooh, thank you for linking me to it! I'll definitely be prowling the list.

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments Ekel wrote: "The Complete Horowitz Horror"

Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "I second the Lockwood and Company recommendation! The Screaming Staircase was excellent!

Also (though this might be one you want to pre-read to judge his readiness for it), I just finished The Nes..."

Both those suggestions sound great! I may pre-read The Nest (don't want my sister to come after me if I accidentally give him nightmares) but it sounds like a great one!

message 10: by David (new)

David Pollison | 21 comments I was nine when I started and I started with classic authors like Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Even though they are more like Science Fiction Adventure novels there is plenty of horrific stuff in them and its not "dumbed down" or "made safe" for children which I always found insulting and not all that interesting. Plus there was always Frankenstein, Dracula & Dr. Jekyll.

message 11: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 63 comments I'll second Ekel's Horowitz and add his Raven's Gate story. I would also suggest The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancy and Shutter by Courtney Alameda,

message 12: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments The Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series is good. I think there's three of them?

One that really creeped me out around that age was Footsteps on the Stairs. Well written, too.

I also liked The Headless Cupid at about that age.

There's also The Graveyard Book.

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) | 45 comments Christopher Pike's Spooksville series is in the same vein as Goosebumps, and it also had a first season of a show that's on Netflix.

One of my favorite YA horror books is The Girl from the Well, but that may depend on his reading level. I don't remember it being overly difficult, and it's not graphic outside of the scares.

message 14: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator | 91 comments If he's still looking, I recommend Joseph Delaney's Last Apprentice series, starting with this one: Revenge of the Witch. It's spooky and has a lot of great supernatural baddies (ghosts, ghasts, boggorts, witches, etc.) and is perfect for 10-12 year olds interested in horror.

message 15: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments Juniper Berry is a great, engrossing story--creepy and entertaining.

Mary Hahn Downing writes a lot of great ghost stories for kids, like this one:
All the Lovely Bad Ones

Also, this series by Pseudonymous Bosch is wildly creative (though more mystery than horror):
The Name of This Book Is Secret