College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > A Great and Terrible Beauty--SPOILERS LIKELY

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Here's a place to discuss A Great and Terrible Beauty with spoilers.

message 2: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I really liked this book. I didn't know what it was about before I started, and it didn't take too long to get drawn in. It was a bit predictable, but just because that is the way my mind works.

Do we really know what is wrong with Gemma's dad? I remember something about addiction, but I was wondering what addiction, and why he acts that way? It seems to me to be something like dementia.
Are the gypsies good or bad? What about Felicity? Was the art teacher one of the Order? Hmmm, sounds like I am going to have to read the whole series. :)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Pretty sure he was addicted to laudanum AKA opium, it sounded like he might have dabbled with in in India but after Virginia's death it became his escape...second book goes into it a little further I think.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments You definitely need to read the rest of the series, Tami, it explains everything.

message 5: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
They are now on my ever growing list. :)

message 6: by Melody (new)

Melody (melodygiesbrecht) I was gonna come in here and say the book was crap cos theres not a lot of detail and the ending was stupid and unfinished.. But you say its a series? Thankgoodness...
Though I really hated the immaturity of Gemma, not even Harry Potter was that dense. But if her character and the others improve and get more elaborate in other books then I'll definitely give it another go.

What are the rest of the books called?

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) the second is Rebel Angels and third is The Sweet Far Thing. I really thought her personality was well suited for the time period though.

message 8: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I agree with Melody and Annashu. I hated how petty and stupid the girls were, then I would remember back then they weren't usually "allowed" and definitely not encouraged to think for themselves. They were always protected from the world. That was why they were sent to "school" to learn the fluffy things but nothing to difficult for girls to handle.

Looking at Gemma, her mother changed her name, her entire life and moved clear to India to protect her from things. Don’t you think things would have been better had her mom started while she was young preparing her for what could happen? But then there wouldn’t be much of a story. :)

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa  | 33 comments I first read this book a few years ago and loved it, but I think I grew out of it a little...at least, I didn't like the second book as much as the first.

message 10: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Macias | 18 comments I just finished the book today and I can say I liked it better than I thought I would, but I'm still on the fence if I like it enough to read the rest of the series. I was glad that they were able to avoid some cliches in the book. Some of the teachers were actually nice and I totally suspected Felicity to compeltely follow in Circe's foot steps. Other than that, I really wasn't surprised by much. I may read the rest of the series because I'm curious how a few things will pan out (like what happens with Kartik), but I'm not entirely sure. I think the fact that it's an easy read makes me more apt to follow through with reading the rest of the series. Anyway, was I the only one who felt like they were reading the script for the movie "The Craft"?

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it! I will definitley be picking up the rest of the books in the series.

I can't decide if the gypies are good or bad or if I like Kartik. I think Miss Moore is part of the Order. I remember Gemma's mother telling her that there are others out there.

I know a lot of it was the time period but I can't believe Pippa's parents were forcing her to marry someone who was older than her father.

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana This book was frustratingly good. And I mean that in the most literal sense. The writing was phenomenal but the characters made me want to choke the literary life out of them; hence, the frustration and goodness.

This book also aroused my emotions. The characters really did get a rise out of me. One minute I was sympathizing with them and the next minute I wanted to pull my hair out. Libba Bray created some awesome characters; I wouldn’t be surprised if these girls were real. If you can look past the girls and their fluctuating temperaments and appreciate them for the dynamic character that they are, then you should enjoy this book. The beginning is a bit slow but it picks up after a while.