Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

Belinda
This topic is about Belinda
2017 Forgotten Books Selections > Belinda - Week 3 (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luella (last edited May 23, 2017 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luella This week's reading is about: Chapter XIII - XIX (13-19)

Dianne | 46 comments This section had SO much drama! Oh my what a soap opera! We see Mr. Hervey being rather cirumspect, but see that he has other dalliances besides our dearest Belinda, we witness the horrid mothering of Lady D, whose every so brief kindness to her dear daughter Helena (who she is tricked into seeing!) caused her to flee back to Lady Anne's, and we witness Belinda herself fleeing to Lady Anne's until she is manipulated at the end of the section into returning to Lady D's under the claim that Lady D is on death's door! Meanwhile, other dramatic turns abound, including the glorious respite at Oakley Park with the Percival family, the attempt of Lord D to sober up for his daughter's sake, the continued crazy antics of Harriet Frekes, and the insane jealousies and histrionics of Lady D.

What did you think of this section? Will Belinda give Vincent a chance? Will she remain with Lady D despite the poisonous atmosphere? Will she make amends with her Aunt who has shunned her upon her refusal to obey to her demands? Have we seen any personal weaknesses in Belinda so far, or is she the epitome of graciousness and moral constancy?

message 3: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) Belinda seems to be desperately clinging to her moral compass after being thrown in to "society". I think one of the pleasures of being with Lady Anne's family was not needing to be suspicious of everyone's motives, including her own.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) I thought Belinda was finally giving up on Lady D, after she was so vicious to her after the reading of Mrs. Stanhope's letter. You also see the caprice of society here as it affects Belinda. It's as if they can't believe she can be that good. Mrs. Stanhope was just as bad, I thought with her terrible advice and then awfulness when Belinda didn't follow it.

And, Harriet, what's her deal with reading? Listening to the exchange between her and Percival was interesting. Did she slip up and say she was a school boy and then correct to school girl? Or was that just part of the audio and a mistake by the narrator? Seemed like a Freudian slip.

Luella It just bums me out that Belinda can't just have a tryst with Clarence to get him out of her system.

This section was a little dull for me because of all the drama. Also that dramatic fashion in which the wedding was interrupted by the carriage and what not was a bit much. Lady D has no sense so it doesn't surprise me that she went with the quack.

I am really curious what happens the whole Belinda, Clarence and Mr. Vincent bit.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Luella wrote: "It just bums me out that Belinda can't just have a tryst with Clarence to get him out of her system.

This section was a little dull for me because of all the drama. Also that dramatic fashion in ..."

I am curious also, seems like we keep getting introduced to new characters, kind of getting confused by it.

Christopher (Donut) | 33 comments I do like this section (I am on chapter 19 now), but as Mrs. Edgeworth's morality becomes more evident, the book fails (a little) from the insufferable goodness of some of the characters.
*cough*Lady Ann*cough*

I really liked Aunt Stanhope's "last letter":

Belinda received the following angry answer from Mrs. Stanhope:

— "Henceforward, Belinda, you may manage your own affairs as you think proper; I shall never more interfere with my advice. Refuse whom you please—go where you please—get what friends, and what admirers, and what establishment you can—I have nothing more to do with it—I will never more undertake the management of young people. There's your sister Tollemache has made a pretty return for all my kindness! she is going to be parted from her husband, and basely throws all the blame upon me. But 'tis the same with all of you. There's your cousin Joddrell refused me a hundred guineas last week, though the piano-forte and harp I bought for her before she was married stood me in double that sum, and are now useless lumber on my hands; and she never could have had Joddrell without them, as she knows as well as I do. As for Mrs. Levit, she never writes to me, and takes no manner of notice of me. But this is no matter, for her notice can be of no consequence now to any body. Levit has run out every thing he had in the world!—All his fine estates advertised in to-day's paper—an execution in the House, I'm told. I expect that she will have the assurance to come to me in her distress: but she shall find my doors shut, I promise her. Your cousin Valleton's match has, through her own folly, turned out like all the rest. She, her husband, and all his relations are at daggers-drawing; and Valleton will die soon, and won't leave her a farthing in his will, I foresee, and all the fine Valleton estate goes to God knows whom! [...]

Clarence Hervey will never think of you, and I give you up!—Now manage for yourself as you please, and as you can! I'll have nothing more to do with the affairs of young ladies who will take no advice.

"SELINA STANHOPE.

"P. S. If you return directly to Lady Delacour's, and marry Sir Philip Baddely, I will forgive the past."

However, I thought this commentary was completely condescending to the reader:

Thrown off her guard by anger, Mrs. Stanhope had inadvertently furnished her niece with the best possible reasons against following her advice with regard to Sir Philip Baddely, by stating that her sister and cousins, who had married with mercenary views, had made themselves miserable, and had shown their aunt neither gratitude nor respect.

(don't be obvious, child.)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) I think, based on the way Librivox has numbered the sections, I hadn't actually finished this section and am finishing it now. I just heard Lady D say as an excuse for her horribleness that she didn't know that her daughter was worth loving. Well, there goes my redeemable theory. At least for me.

Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books...

unread topics | mark unread