Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

Belinda
This topic is about Belinda
2017 Forgotten Books Selections > Belinda - Week 2 (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Luella This week's reading is about: Chapter VI - XII (6-12)

Luella I am excited to read these this week!

Dianne | 46 comments I just finished this week's reading! A lot of drama and intrigue. Could you believe how horrid Lady D was about.... her daughter???? What did you think about meek little Helena? And then we have the competition for Belinda's hand - what do you think about her views of obtaining a husband at this point? What about her shifting views of her Aunt S and Lady D?

Christopher (Donut) | 33 comments I read chapters 6-9, so half of this week's reading so far.

Hervey's swim in the river (and near drowning) seems to have been a sort of baptism into a new way of life.

At the moment, I can barely tell Dr. X and Percival apart.

That bit about Lady Delacour coming out dressed as Queen Elizabeth, and then Hervey observing that one could read her pulse from the shadow cast by her ruff.. so over the top. That's the Edgeworth touch right there.

Christopher (Donut) | 33 comments Also, no spoilers, but I'm going to speculate here-

Lady Delacour has so far refused to see a doctor, but now a doctor is introduced as a character...

She's so convinced she's dying.. could it be she's NOT dying?

message 6: by Luella (last edited Jun 14, 2017 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luella Christopher wrote: "Also, no spoilers, but I'm going to speculate here-

Lady Delacour has so far refused to see a doctor, but now a doctor is introduced as a character...

She's so convinced she's dying.. could it be..."

Yea I think so because that just sooo didn't make sense to me at all. Also that is interesting about the drowning.

Dianne wrote: "I just finished this week's reading! A lot of drama and intrigue. Could you believe how horrid Lady D was about.... her daughter???? What did you think about meek little Helena? And then we have th..."

I believe the the lady would be like that when I found out what the horses were for my eyes rolled sooo hard. I am curious to see how that relationship with Clarence develops but good for her for not accepting that annoying guy who says damn every 5 seconds proposal.

I feels so badly for the daughter. :( But she might be better off with those people than at the house with her superficial mom, drunk dad and her parents overall terrible marriage.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) I finished this section today. I have been listening on Librovox, and 5-7 has some poor narration that I am sure I missed some details. Still really enjoying her word choices and characters, and am definitely noticing the swearing more.

So, Hervey took a turn here. Apparently, he is a legitimate love interest. Since this is a moral tale, is he meant to be the means to show that a sinner can be redeemed? I agree the near drowning incident is a baptism of sorts. He seems to see his life in a new light and is coming out of a fog of sorts.

Do you think Lady Delacor is redeemable? I can't decide. I suspect not, but there are times when it seems she might be.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Does Lady Delacor ever say what she thinks her illness is? I thought I may have missed that.

message 9: by Dianne (last edited Jun 17, 2017 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dianne | 46 comments Christopher wrote: "Also, no spoilers, but I'm going to speculate here-

She's so convinced she's dying.. could it be..."

The refusal to see a doctor is SO bizarre! Does she really feel it will ruin her reputation that much? Absurd! I wonder if her 'illness' is a mask to cover her inner depression that she reveals when her grand parties are over?

Dianne | 46 comments Joanna wrote: "I finished this section today. I have been listening on Librovox, and 5-7 has some poor narration that I am sure I missed some details. Still really enjoying her word choices and characters, and am..."

so far, even Lady D's apologies and amends are short-lived, so I am not giving her the benefit of the doubt!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Dianne wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I finished this section today. I have been listening on Librovox, and 5-7 has some poor narration that I am sure I missed some details. Still really enjoying her word choices and cha..."

I am not either! It seems though that, while Belinda has strong morals, she is not overly (at least outwardly) judgmental. She gives honest opinions and seems to have a moralizing influence on the people around. I am doubtful, but think it has merit that it may extend to Lady D.

message 12: by Christopher (last edited Jun 23, 2017 08:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christopher (Donut) | 33 comments I just finished chapter xii today, so I guess I am a week behind.

Lady D. was really laid up by her carriage accident, seems to be doing her some good.

That stage business about the macaw and opening and closing doors was kind of funny.

I do get more of a Jane Austen vibe in these three chapters (9-12), with the unsuitable suitor and the lock of hair. There are versions of these in Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility.

Luella Christopher wrote: "I just finished chapter xii today, so I guess I am a week behind.

Lady D. was really laid up by her carriage accident, seems to be doing her some good.

That stage business about the macaw and ope..."

I haven't read any Austen I always thought it would be boring. This book is hard to get through at some parts but I stick to it for the weird imaginative things that happen like the duel.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Luella wrote: "Christopher wrote: "I just finished chapter xii today, so I guess I am a week behind.

That stage business abo..."

I am a big Austen fan, but I have seen that complaint by others. So you may find it boring as much as it defies my comprehension 😜. If you do decide to try her books, maybe start with Northanger Abbey. It's a satire of sorts on the gothic novel and is one of her shortest books.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Christopher wrote: "I just finished chapter xii today, so I guess I am a week behind.

That stage business about the macaw and ope..."

Yea, I can see the influence also. Lady D reminds me of Lady Susan.

Luella Joanna wrote: "Luella wrote: "Christopher wrote: "I just finished chapter xii today, so I guess I am a week behind.

That sta..."

I think I will try that. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books...

unread topics | mark unread