Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

Belinda
This topic is about Belinda
2017 Forgotten Books Selections > Belinda - Reading Schedule (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luella (last edited May 30, 2017 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luella Week 1 - June 1st - June 7th - Chapter I - V (1-5)
Week 2 - June 8th - June 14th - Chapter VI - XII (6-12)
Week 3 - June 15th - June 21st - Chapter XIII - XIX (13-19)
Week 4 - June 22nd - June 28th - Chapter XX - XXV (20-25)
Week 5 - June 29th - July 5th- Chapter XXVI - XXXI (26-31)

Dianne Who's joining? A comedy from 1801 addressing racism, female independence and mixed marriage - Edgeworth was clearly way ahead of her time!

message 3: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 279 comments Mod
I'd like to but I am not ready to start yet - ideally I'd like to find a physical copy of the book first...

Dianne Planning to start June 1, hopefully that will give some time to track down a copy :)

message 5: by Luella (last edited May 24, 2017 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luella Also I will be leaving the discussions open indefinitely so everyone can comment even later on. If need be. The plan is to get to where we have an month or two before we start reading so we have plenty of time to source books. (By the end of the month of June we will ideally have voted on July and August.) Then in July we will be voting on September. etc.

message 6: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) I'll be reading it. ( or actually audiobooking it ).

Dianne Great Connie!

message 8: by carissa (new)

carissa Just saw this group...and the library system has an available copy.
I'm in.

Dianne Great Carissa! Glad you are joining :)

message 10: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Dianne wrote: "Who's joining?"

I am hoping to. Have it on my June reading plan.

message 11: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina ConnieD wrote: "I'll be reading it. ( or actually audiobooking it )."

ConnieD, which audiobook version will you use?

message 12: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) Nina, I'm using Librivox. Unfortunately this is one of the ones with different readers for different chapters, but otherwise good story. I got ahead, so was trying to hold off to get on the reading schedule. But I suspect I'll break down and finish the whole book :)

Dianne Yay! Glad you guys will all be jumping in!

message 14: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy I am reading the Project Gutenberg copy. I considered the Librivox version since I listen to a lot of books from them but this book (being a collaborative recording) has a few readers that are not among my favourite Librivox readers.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Librivox - what a great idea! I don't mind the different narrators too much. I like their app, and the fact you can listen to it a chapter at a time.

message 16: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) I've never tried project guttenburg. I need to check into it.

message 17: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy ConnieD wrote: "I've never tried project guttenburg. I need to check into it."

It's addictive -- and free! LOL

Dianne Agree, you can find a ton of classics on Gutenberg!

message 19: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy On the Librivox apps, you can also download the Project Gutenberg text of some of the books so that you can read along as you listen. I've never tried this as I'm no multi-tasker but some folks I know like this feature very much.

Dianne Great tip sandy I didn't know that!

Luella I will be doing a combo of reading the papercopy and checking out those illustrations on that old editions. I just finished up some other books so I am happy to say I will be starting this one soon.

I am also reading The House of Mirth they both seem to surround the top of marriage. I'm thinking maybe I should but that one on the back burner for now.

I want to keep up with the discussions on this one and this papercopy is through a library loan so I only have a finite amount of time without a renewal. But if my time runs out I can refer back to those old free editions I dug up on the web. :)

Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The House of Mirth (other topics)