Horror Aficionados discussion

Horrorpedia > Great Scary Board Games

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited May 29, 2017 03:48AM) (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 18 comments I'm a huge board game nerd, but the games I play the most seem to always be horror related. Anybody else a fan of Betrayal at House on the Hill? or maybe Arkham Horror? Zombicide perhaps (aka Left 4 Dead the Tabletop)?

I recently played Mansions of Madness for the first time and LOVED it. It combines the Lovecraftian investigations and nihilistic doom of Arkham Horror with the modular haunted house exploration of Betrayal. Uses an app to run each campaign, which is pretty neat and atmospheric. Highly recommended.

I also made a print-and-play game of Doom a while back:
description

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 145 comments These sound awesome! Where do you purchase horror themed board games?

message 3: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments I'll second that question ^

message 4: by Stephie (new)

Stephie (la-mer-noire) | 3 comments It's an old one, but I still love the Goosebumps board game. Classic.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 18 comments You buy them anywhere else you get boardgames. I get them online wherever the prices are decent.

I forgot there was a Goosebumps game. Never played it though.

message 6: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Moore | 1 comments Vampire: The Masquerade is my personal favorite tabletop RPG. Combines my love of Goth/Punk aesthetics with Interview with the Vampire. :)

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri | 8 comments As a kid i use to love "Nightmare" and "Atmosphere". Scary, as a kid. it was played using a video and tv with some scary looking characters.

message 8: by Mike (last edited May 29, 2017 03:47AM) (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 18 comments I've seen Nightmare in action, but never played it myself.

I forgot I also made this board game of Friday the 13th.

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I played Nightmare and some of the extensions. Quite fun. I'm surprised they didn't try to update when DVD got popular, it seems ideal.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 18 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "I played Nightmare and some of the extensions. Quite fun. I'm surprised they didn't try to update when DVD got popular, it seems ideal."

I bet they have made dvd board games and you just really gotta dig to find them.

message 11: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 149 comments Mike wrote: "I'm a huge board game nerd, but the games I play the most seem to always be horror related. Anybody else a fan of Betrayal at House on the Hill? or maybe Arkham Horror? Zombicide perhaps (aka Left ..."

That is awesome. How long does it take you to design these board games? They look great.

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 18 comments Joshua wrote: "Mike wrote: "I'm a huge board game nerd, but the games I play the most seem to always be horror related. Anybody else a fan of Betrayal at House on the Hill? or maybe Arkham Horror? Zombicide perha..."

WAY too long. Playtest, playtest, playtest. And I got through a lot of paper and ink printing revisions.

So far the Doom one was the biggest resource hog, but I'm toying with a game based on the Valiant Super Mario comics that will easily beat it out with the sheer number of cards. Haven't even done the map yet.

message 13: by Gordon (last edited Jun 26, 2017 07:54AM) (new)

Gordon | 63 comments I love Pandemic and there's a Cthulhu version of the game: https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Reign...

I got Dead of Winter a few months ago...it's pretty brutal (zombies). https://www.amazon.com/Dead-of-Winter...

Lastly, I'm a huge fan of Legendary. The Alien and Predator versions are difficult and extremely fun. https://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Enco... https://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Enco...

message 14: by Gianfranco (last edited Jun 26, 2017 08:36AM) (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 515 comments

Dead of Winter and The Long Night expansion were a great birthday gift from my wife this year. Can't wait for the Warring Colonies expansion. A great game if you love zombies.

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I haven't played a horror board game in a long time! I have the old Goosebumps game still in my closet. I should look into other ones though, could be a scary good time.

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I saw a game called Zombieopoly at Walgreens. Obviously a zombie version of monopoly which I'd totally play lol.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments Justin wrote: "I saw a game called Zombieopoly at Walgreens. Obviously a zombie version of monopoly which I'd totally play lol."

Was it this?

https://www.target.com/p/late-for-the...

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Yes! that's it :D

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments It looks like a great game. I haven't played monopoly in years.

message 20: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Williams (thewrongwriter) | 48 comments My friends and I play Betrayal at House on the Hill as often as we can. We used to do the same for Arkham Horror, but the gaming group has shrunk over the years, so it's not as much fun.

I enjoy reading the descriptions. Creeps others out when I go into horror-master mode (voice for radio...and the face...).

message 21: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Hmm sounds interesting

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments The Best Horror Board Games of 2019:

https://www.imore.com/best-horror-boa...

message 23: by Jannik (last edited Mar 20, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

Jannik (jann1k) | 160 comments Currently deep into a campaign of Arkham Horror - The Card Game. It is a bit faster than the original and keeps the immersion going. Really like it so far.

A game I can definitely recommend is the Fury of Dracula! It runs in the vain of Scotland Yard, except that you have to chase after Dracula himself, and he definitely has a few more tricks up his sleeve than Mr. X.

Also, Ghost Stories is always worth a mention. It is a hardcore co-op game where you play monks that have to defend a town against an onslaught of ghosts and demons. Pretty much the Dark Souls of board games ^^

Not sure if they are available in English, but in Germany, we have Black Stories. Depending on the edition you have to solve fictional murder cases, identify historical murders etc. based on short hints that are read by one person. After that, you can question the hint giver and they can answer only with 'Yes' or 'No'. Quite fun.

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Slaughter: The Horror Movie Card Game:

http://promotehorror.com/2019/10/25/s...

message 25: by Jeff McIntosh (new)

Jeff McIntosh | 137 comments Haven't played yet, but picked up Monopoly - Nightmare Before Christmas varsion..yeah, prob not scary...also gifted with "Horrified"..where all the Universal Monster have to be fought....wooooooo

Jeff

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Jeff McIntosh wrote: "Haven't played yet, but picked up Monopoly - Nightmare Before Christmas varsion..yeah, prob not scary...also gifted with "Horrified"..where all the Universal Monster have to be fought....wooooooo

..."

I saw someone else today who got Horrified. It looks fun.

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I work at a toys and games store and we have quite a selection of horror board games such as Dead of Winter, One Week Ultimate Werewolf, Betrayal Legacy, Trivial Pursuit Horror Edition, IT Monopoly, The Walking Dead board game and several others.

There's also a card game called Gloom that's quite fun and morbid.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Warmuth (goodreadscomjenniferwarmuthbooks) | 7 comments Hello,
Such great suggestions in this discussion. I plan to check out many of them. Great holiday gift options!

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments We still have a copy of Horrified in the store. I really wanna get it along with Trivial Pursuit Horror Edition but no one to play with :(

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments Justin wrote: "We still have a copy of Horrified in the store. I really wanna get it along with Trivial Pursuit Horror Edition but no one to play with :("

Does the Trivial Pursuit version look like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/Trivial-Ultima...

Looks awesome if it is.

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Yes that's the one.

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments And no one wants to play that?!

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Well It's not that no one wants to play it it that I have no one to play it with

message 34: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments That's a shame, it looks like a lot of fun.

message 35: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Right? That and Horrified look good. I even have $31 in store credit that I could use to buy one of them lol

message 36: by J. (last edited Jun 05, 2021 12:52PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 1388 comments Don't forget the DIY options.

https://youtu.be/MlmWjwsiDAg

The story in the description might be entertaining for some.

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6737 comments Justin wrote: "Right? That and Horrified look good. I even have $31 in store credit that I could use to buy one of them lol"

Horrified looks even better!

message 38: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Right? Great for fans of the classic universal monsters.