Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader/Quick Turn-Around

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mia (new)

Mia | 8 comments I am a writer and experienced beta reader who is looking to get back into it as I will have a lot of free time on my hands this summer. I have studied English as well as creative writing, and I just finished the first draft of my second novel. I love beta reading, and it helps me as much as it helps the writer. I find that when I beta read, my own writing improves greatly.

I am open to most genres, but particularly YA fiction. I have a very good idea of what the YA industry is looking for at the moment, and I think I could offer some very good suggestions. I am a generally fast reader, and I like to communicate with the author after each or every few chapters rather than after I read the whole story. I could finish the book in about a week, give or take, depending on word count.

If you are interested in having me read your manuscript, please leave a short blurb in the comments including the word count, genre, and a short description of the story. If I think that it's something that I can critique well, I will let you know! You can always PM me if you'd rather do that as well.

This should be fun!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (thoughtjumble) hi,
right now I'm working on the first draft of a ya fantasy. I'm still on the first draft but I'll probably be done everything by august. i know that seems like a long time, but will you still be open to beta reading at that time? it's okay if your not, I'll understand.

the summary is a work in process...it might be too early for me to write one since i'm only about 3/4 into the FIRST draft

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (thoughtjumble) sorry i meant *you're* (i know some people are super picky about that)

message 4: by Mia (last edited May 23, 2017 07:17PM) (new)

Mia | 8 comments Aurora wrote: "hi,
right now I'm working on the first draft of a ya fantasy. I'm still on the first draft but I'll probably be done everything by august. i know that seems like a long time, but will you still be..."

Hey Aurora, thanks for commenting! I'll probably be a bit more busy around that time, but I'm definitely open! Message me again then. :) And happy writing!

message 5: by Aliza (new)

Aliza | 66 comments Mia wrote: "I am a writer and experienced beta reader who is looking to get back into it as I will have a lot of free time on my hands this summer. I have studied English as well as creative writing, and I jus..."

I'm currently doing a re-write, hoping to get my mystery under 100K words. It started out at 131K and is now at 118K. I hope to be finished and be much closer to my 100K goal by the end of next week.

My manuscript is the 2nd in a series featuring Jaya, a yoga and meditation teacher, who runs a center in Manhattan. Just as she begins to fight a court battle with her high society step-mother who is determined to close down the center, she is persuaded to get involved in a missing person case for a friend.

She has reservations, as she always does in making any kind of decision, but goes ahead at the urging of her assistant, Ansui.
Finding Miguel takes them to Peru, India and Spain and leads them into mortal danger.

I'd be happy to send you the first half of the book, which has already gone through 3 edits and one major re-write. I hope to be able to send the second half by next week at this time - maybe earlier.

Thanks for considering doing a beta read of the book.

Best,
Aliza

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Chamberlain | 16 comments Would you be willing to beta my novel. The romance is very light actually just starting as it will continue into a second book.

Title: The Cartel
Genre: Adventure – Adult / YA
Length: 73K words
Synopsis:

It’s 2023, Steff Johnson is a smart, beautiful, and college educated young lady from Chicago’s projects. Disillusioned with the new president’s failed policies, lack of work, and increasing danger from starvation, she decides to accompany her brother and two others to Phoenix. In New Mexico, a Mexican drug cartel takes advantage of the USA’s turmoil to setup shop. They capture Steff and her traveling companions for their own fun and games.

Ammon Mitchell is a mixed race young man, raised near the Navajo Reservation. His love for his family is exceeded only by his love of God and country. Seeing the danger posed by the drug cartels, he joins others from his community and their Navajo allies to patrol the 4 Corners region.

Ammon finds the cartel getting ready to start a game of rape, torture, and murder. He saves Steff and together they flee across the reservation. They learn about each other’s views on life and realize that their growing love must address this gap. However, events conspire to change their plans.

message 7: by Aliza (new)

Aliza | 66 comments How about if you send me a couple of chapters before I commit? aeprero@gmail

message 8: by Aliza (new)

Aliza | 66 comments How many words are in your book?

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Chamberlain | 16 comments Hi Aliza,

As I mentioned in the Length, there are 73,000 words. I will email the first few chapters.

Ken

message 10: by Mia (last edited May 24, 2017 01:59PM) (new)

Mia | 8 comments Aliza wrote: "Mia wrote: "I am a writer and experienced beta reader who is looking to get back into it as I will have a lot of free time on my hands this summer. I have studied English as well as creative writin..."

Hi Aliza, thanks for commenting.

I love mysteries, but I'm currently swamped with requests, and I don't think I can take on any more at this time. Thanks for understanding!

message 11: by Mia (new)

Mia | 8 comments Ken wrote: "Would you be willing to beta my novel. The romance is very light actually just starting as it will continue into a second book.

Title: The Cartel
Genre: Adventure – Adult / YA
Length: 73K words
S..."

Hi Ken,

I was very excited to see a YA novel in my notifications, but as I'm currently working on a few different manuscripts, I don't think I should take on any more yet. I want to be able to provide all the good suggestions and feedback that your novel deserves! Thanks for understanding.

message 12: by Liliyana (new)

Liliyana Shadowlyn (lilydeslacs) | 23 comments Hi Mia, I'm looking for a beta for a young adult fantasy adventure novel. If you would like to learn more, please message me. The book is approximately 80k words. Looking for feedback on characters, plot, general story.

Synopsis:

Abraxas Spellchaser has been a student of magic under his father since his eleventh birthday. Since he began that training, over a decade has passed, and Abraxas, known as Abe to his family and friends, thinks he's ready to take the final test and prove himself to both his father and the magical community that he deserves the title of "Magician," the most skilled of all of those who possess the gift of magic.

His father gave him a simple test, walk between the worlds using his magic and return to their home in the Endless City. It's a magic Abe's known and practiced for almost five years. It should be simple.

Right up to the point where Abe attempts to open the door between worlds and is knocked out from a strange backlash as he attempts to use his magic. From there, he is drawn into a web of intrigue and a game centuries old as he tries to figure out what is going on and how he can get home.

Best wishes,
Lily

message 13: by Megan Rose (new)

Megan Rose | 12 comments Hi Mia!

My WIP is a YA Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, at 102K words.

Here is a summary of my novel:

Eighteen-year-old Kristen Hall is trapped. In her life. In her body. She is haunted by Ana, the embodiment of her eating disorder, a result of her mother’s abandonment following her parent’s divorce three years previously, and threatens to bring her to the breaking point once again. And although Kristen does not wholly intend to end her life, Ana continuously pushes her toward that almost inevitable outcome, knowing full well Kristen’s reliance on her.

But with the meeting of Alexander “Alex” Taylor, who, though struggles with his own demons, is able to lessen her sense of isolation and reliance on Ana. It takes this meaningful relationship with Alex and close friends and family that Kristen is able to recover, as she struggles to come to terms with her eating disorder.

ANA explores the trials of mental illness on family and friends, and the many forms of love—paternal, romantic and platonic—and how each can alter the perception of one’s self worth.

message 14: by Mia (new)

Mia | 8 comments Megan Rose wrote: "Hi Mia!

Eighteen-year-old Kristen Hall is trapped. In her life. In her body. She is haunted by Ana,..."

Hey Megan, thanks for commenting!

I love the idea for your story, but unfortunately, I'm already working on beta reading a few others, and I have more lined up. I can get back to you when I have a little more time! Hope you understand.

message 15: by Megan Rose (new)

Megan Rose | 12 comments Mia wrote: "Megan Rose wrote: "Hi Mia!

Eighteen-year-old Kristen Hall is trapped. In her life. In her body. She..."

Definitely! No problem :)