Advanced Copies for Review & Book Giveaways discussion

Advanced Copies for Review > Superheroines and the epic journey

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 25 comments Hi everyone! My new book Superheroines and the Epic Journey: Mythic Themes in Comics, Film and Television has hit the stores. It's nonfiction analyzing the heroine's journey through all the top superheroes. If anyone would like a free review copy, just email me valerie @ calithwain.com, and I'd be happy to send one over. https://www.amazon.com/Superheroines-...

The heroine's journey echoes throughout ancient legend. Each young woman combats her dark side and emerges stronger. This quest is also a staple of American comic books. Wonder Woman with semi-divine powers gives us a new female-centered creation story. Batgirl, Batwoman and Black Widow discover their enemy is the dark mother or shadow twin, with the savagery they've rejected in themselves. Supergirl similarly struggles but keeps harmony with her sister.
From Jessica Jones and Catwoman to the new superwomen of cutting-edge webcomics, each heroine must go into the dark, to become not a warrior but a savior. Women like Captain Marvel and Storm sacrifice all to join the ranks of superheroes, while their feminine powers and dazzling costumes reflect the most ancient tales.

message 2: by D (new)

D . (drew_readsya) | 27 comments Heu! Do you have paperback??

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 25 comments I'm out right now I'm afraid.

yorkshirebooknerd Hi Valerie. I dropped you an email. Thanks Donna

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 25 comments I don't think I got it...please resend?