What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA Books with Awesome Senior Characters

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments I am looking for books appropriate for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders (therefore I need LOTS of titles) which have amazing senior citizens. These can be feisty adults beating the "system," characters who face or must overcome some barrier of age (mental state, illness, mobility, etc.), success stories of beating the odds as a senior citizen, or adults who have made a positive impact on a younger generation as an older citizen.
Tuesdays With Morrie seems to be to "go to" title and I certainly have it on my list, but I need additional titles of fiction, nonfiction, and children's books for reading aloud to students.
Many thanks!

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Maybe Skin Deep.

message 3: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments Looks great! Thanks!

message 4: by Lauren (last edited May 23, 2017 03:43PM) (new)

message 5: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments I had forgotten about Hollis Woods. Thank you!!

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Robinson | 38 comments They're not human characters, but in Redwall there is a close friendship between the young mouse hero Matthias and Methuselah, the ancient scholar of the Abbey. Methuselah has an active role in the plot and is Matthias' accomplice in solving riddles.

message 8: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments Awesome. Some of my 6th graders read it this year!

message 9: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments Thank you!! Love that it is short!

message 10: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments Thank you! Some of my 6th graders read it this year! I have about 12 copies, so that would work very well!

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments What would?

message 12: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments The post about 12 copies was for the response suggesting Redwall. It was meant to go after that suggestion.

message 13: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Got it. And was the post about a book being short about Mr. McFadden's Halloween?

message 14: by Louanne (new)

Louanne (gr8english) | 11 comments Yes :)

message 15: by Rosa (new)

message 16: by Rosa (new)

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 13, 2017 04:59PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
A Nice Class of Corpse has Mrs. Pargeter, the widow of a criminal mastermind, who suddenly finds herself solving crimes with the help of the "little black book" her husband left her of his friends and associates, who all seemed to adore the man. Set in the U.K.

Louisiana Longshot has the MC (CIA sniper who is hiding from an irate arms dealer) assisted by a gang of females who are all retired now, but who in their younger days were snipers and nurses etc. in the military.

message 21: by Paige (last edited Mar 02, 2019 11:56PM) (new)