Science and Inquiry discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (msrichardsreads) Does anyone know of any good adult books about paleontology, specifically dinosaurs? Most of the ones I am seeing are for kids. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1641 comments Mod
There are 17 books on our bookshelves that have are tagged as paleontology. Not all have to do with dinosaurs, but some do.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

If a book looks interesting, click the link to "view activity" at the right of the entry for that book and check out other members reviews, if there are any.

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of these books, so can't recommend them, but I know Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History has a really good reputation. Although it's not limited to dinosaurs, I imagine it covers them somewhat.

Another book I have on my TBR list is The Dinosaur Heresies, but it may be a little dated by now.

message 3: by Stephie (new)

Stephie Williams (stephiegurl) The Scientific American Book of Dinosaurs is a very good book. It is an anthology covering many sides. The only problem is unless they updated it, which I doubt, it would not have any recent information seeing how it was published in 2000. I particularly like the chapters on the evolution of dinosaurs to birds and the K-T extinction evidence.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 616 comments If you like audio books, The Modern Scholar: Behold the Mighty Dinosaur is a great lecture series on them.

message 5: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1641 comments Mod
One that I did read and enjoy was The Nemesis Affair: A Story of the Death of Dinosaurs and the Ways of Science, which again may be dated. Although the theory of a Nemesis star is pretty much poo-poo'd, the book gives a good history of Alvarez discoveries and the development of the asteroid distinction theory.