A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3) A Court of Wings and Ruin question

Anyone else think this book was really bad compared to the previous 2?
Desi Desi (last edited Jul 23, 2017 06:43AM ) May 23, 2017 12:21PM
EDIT: Hey peeps, thanks for all your replies. In case you were wondering, I changed the question a bit. I did this because I realized a lot of writers are getting abuse on different social media platforms and that's not OK in my book. I didn't want to add to all the negativity, even though I didn't like the book. We can criticize books and authors without being assholes and calling ACOWAR 'garbage' kind of falls under the dome of assholiness.

I mean come on. Compared to ACOMAF this book was just terrible.

First of all, it did not need to be 700 pages, considering 350 of those pages were spent doing pretty much nothing. UGH. I had such high hopes for Feyre's infiltration of the Spring Court and it was just so boring and rushed through.

The pacing was completely off and what I felt were supposed to be key moments were completely glossed over or just rushed and dealt with in the space of 1 sentence. The King of Hybern was the most under-developed villain I've ever seen. UGHHHH. Oh, and the ending was the cherry on top of this shit show. I could have swallowed everyone coming back to life. *GAG* Really. But that end scene was just the absolute worst.

Maas is a seriously confusing writer for me. She so damn inconsistent and it bothers me on a deep level. Her writing style flip-flops so much I no longer have faith in future installments. I genuinely regret buying this.

This book is ridiculous! I'm not a fan of ACOMAF, but at least that book was well-written.

Desi wrote: "Totally agree. I read ACOTAR and ACOMAF before throne of glass so I had no idea how much she plagiarizes her own work. I mean the ending of Empire of Storms was almost exactly the same as ACOMAF it..."

ACOWAR was rubbish compared to ACOMAF and ACOTAR.
I believe that Mor's sexuality was put there in a forced way and not at all natural. It was certainly a painful attempt to create diversity (as in most contemporary books). Hell, not everyone is LGBT, that's still a minority, and instead of normalizing it, they just make an absurd drama of everything.
I think the same about the color of skin of Cassian, although I always imagined him brown (more or less like a Latin American boy on the beach) JAJAJA. (I'm Latin, I can make jokes about that) (oh, but I'm white, so that makes me racist?) (Nonsense).
You are right, the book might well have had 350 or 400 pages and that would be more than enough.
She wrote too much but transmitted absolutely nothing.
I considered it entertaining, I admit, but only because I'm a fan of previous books and was desperate to see how the story continued.
The Feyre and Rys moments were like AHGGG, STOP, IT'S TOO MUCH. (Not in a good way).

I thought the sex scenes were a bit redundant in this book. I won't lie though, I did enjoy them in ACOMAF.
But when she's supposed to be feeling exhausted, defeated and war is upon them, I do find it a bit hard to understand how and why they'd want to get it on.
I did think it did not need to be such a large book -- there were a bunch of conversations that did not need to take place, and then some were left too short (when she looks in the Ourobouros? The unfinished romances?) Agh, I blame is disappointment on my too-high-hopes. It was good, but I felt like it barely scratched the surface, and yet it was full of unnecessary details. Still think SJM is queen, though. I've always preferred ToG anyway.

I really did like this book despite all the things I hated about it. And there were a lot of things I hated. The last two novels just didn't work for me. This is fiction, I know that. But I need patterns of behavior to seem realistic. I need to understand the "why" of something and how a person comes to certain feelings and conclusions. I don't have to agree with their thinking but I at least, have to be able to make sense as to how they got there.

I totally agree with the Tamlin thing. Maas screwed his character over just to manipulate us and make the transition for us to love Rhys as the hero easier. But it felt so forced. Feyre goes from loving Tamlin, to hating him. In the blink of an eye. I'm not saying he wasn't treating her badly but love just doesn't work like that. When someone you love treats you badly, you feel hurt, not hate. And it takes a long long time for many people to get past that love even after they realize it's what's best for them.

And Feyre stuck her head in the sand and refused to talk about their issues. Then she hates Tamlin for everything even though he obviously is still in love with her and trying to "save" her. Having an open and honest conversation at any time in the novel would have put a stop to much of the drama Maas was creating. I actually think it takes a lot more talent for a writer to create drama that doesn't exist on a lack of communication.

If my husband and I weren't getting along and I did something absolutely terrible to him and he left with with a person who I considered to be brain manipulating psychopath, you can bet your ass I'm going to try to do everything in my power to get him back. Even if I wasn't sure he'd forgive me. And him sending me a silly piece of paper that said he left on his own and to leave him alone certainly wouldn't clam me at all.

I found I understood Tamlin and his side of things a hell of a lot easier than I did Feyre and any of the decisions she made. Again, I didn't agree with his course of action... but I "understood" him.

And yeah why can't anyone be average looking? I get it far are supposed to be sort of god-like compared to humans but even among far someone MUST have been born ugly like Jesus we can't all be perfect.

Yes yes yes, it was pretty darn horrible compared to ACOMAF... I wasn't the biggest fan of ACOTAR but it managed to keep me on.

Sarah seems to get distracted and starts new projects while working on older projects - that is what happened here. She had a deadline so she obligingly wrote the chapters for this book during the day, and wrote the chapters for her passion project (the next books in the series) during the evening. **-interview where she said this is here: https://youtu.be/NNbHk64l56I -** It really just makes me feel as though she doesn't respect the readers to be consistent, especially with the whole Mor thing. Ugh.

Yep, disappointed in this one and not really interested in following up with the next ones.

*fae

Finally, someone said it. I just finished it and I found it to be really terrible compared to ACOMAF. I also wrote in my review (http://www.nmlifeinwords.wordpress.co...) about all the things wrong with this one.

Cecilia (last edited Jul 01, 2017 08:51PM ) Jul 01, 2017 08:50PM   0 votes
yes, I agree! This book seemed mostly filler. A waste of good characters, scenes with bad closing, things out of the blue (Feyre`s father? come on! SJM put him because she needed a character to kill so all the others could live. The big sacrifice of Amren turning into nothing, the big mission of Lucien turning into nothing. Mor being afraid of telling their best friend about being bisexual or lesbian was so out os character. So, this book was a big disappointment for me.
I´m not buying the following ones (I heard there will be 6)

I thought the book was okay in the beginning, but that might have just been excitement for waiting over a year for it. I kind of bored with it as it kept going, and I was so annoyed with the characters and the unnecessary ships (like Azriel and Elain, Varian and Amren, honestly wtf), and on top of that THAT ENDING. END IT PROPERLY. DON'T PRETEND EVERYTHING IS ALL HAPPY WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY LOOSE STRINGS. Still... It wasn't the worst this I've read by Maas (that would go to Queen of Shadows, I will never forgive Maas for that and will never go back to any ToG book ever again), but I definitely felt it could have been better. Still, I don't think she could have topped ACoMaF. That was a magnificent book.

I didn't even read the sex scenes. I skimmed them. They were so boring.

Yeah the sex scenes just make me laugh especially with the trembling mountains and lightning and all that jazz. I don't even mind if the author wants to write a sex scene in but either write them properly or not at all. Especially since they're strangely sexual but not at the same time it just weirds me out big time. I don't remember how she wrote them for celaena and chaol but I don't think they were as ridiculous.

Desi wrote: "I mean come on. Compared to ACOMAF this book was just terrible.

First of all, it did not need to be 700 pages, considering 350 of those pages were spent doing pretty much nothing. UGH. I had such..."

I wouldn't say the book was garbage. I believe It was meant to be a more serious book out of the three. The talk of war and death is a very morbid topic to read however it was interesting to learn the politics and see the other high lords. I totally agree with you about expressing Mors sexuality in the book. I like how the authors has put slight diversity in the book but I found the scene very unfitting to the part of the book. If it was to be that Mor prefers women to the company of men, then good on her! But I would of liked it to be a more intimate and prolonged scene, rather than being crammed into a few pages.

April (last edited May 24, 2017 08:30AM ) May 24, 2017 06:00AM   0 votes
Unlike most of the people I hated ACOMAF.
It wasn't for me. I didn't like the characters, Rhys wasn't as cool as he was in ACOTAR, every character felt like the splitting image of Aelin -too much snarky for their own good, way too beautiful, secretive and readily having a snarky reply. And am I only one who feels that both the book series have very similar plot and characters?? Because for me all of them feel like they are waaay to similar to Aelin (whom I cannot stand).
This problem was also in ACOWAR. I just did not like the way SJM was shaping her characters. When the pacing should have been fast it was slow and vice versa. And what is it with SJM with the whole huge revelation thing?? It is extremely irritating.
And why in the world Cassian suddenly is brown?? And More gay??
It just felt as if SJM was trying to cover up lack of racial and sexual diversity in her books.
But I felt the world building was better in ACOWAR than in ACOMAF.

Overall, I feel this book series does not live up to it's hype.

April (last edited May 24, 2017 08:27AM ) May 24, 2017 08:26AM   0 votes
Desi wrote: "Totally agree. I read ACOTAR and ACOMAF before throne of glass so I had no idea how much she plagiarizes her own work. I mean the ending of Empire of Storms was almost exactly the same as ACOMAF it..."

Soooo true, I kinda liked Rowan at first but after the whole mating thing, the relationship started grossing me out. Their constant urge to get in each other's pants even in the face of danger was just so weird.

And their tragic past didn't affect me whatsoever. The over-the-top sex scenes were just so bad. If I have to read raunchy sex scenes I would buy an erotic novel not a fantasy one.

I agree! Glad to see that many of you share my same concerns. I loved ACOTAR and obsessed over ACOMAF so I was so ready for this to be great. I was OK with it but not in love. The characters were not as likable. Nesta always drove me crazy but more so this time, Mor has been leading Azriel on for hundreds of years, and don't get me started on Feyre and Rhys. ( My sister couldn't hear the word mate for weeks after reading this without cringing). The only people I seemed to like were Lucien and Tamlin. (I never thought I'd say this but I think I'm team Tamlin again). The father situation was just pointless and it seemed that this book was just a set up for more books....but I'm sure I'll read those too. I can't quit you Sarah Maas!

Zayna wrote: "Chaitrali wrote: "Unlike most of the people I hated ACOMAF.
It wasn't for me. I didn't like the characters, Rhys wasn't as cool as he was in ACOTAR, every character felt like the splitting image o..."

I'm glad ONE of sjm's characters is explicitly gay for once, though it was definitely shoehorned in and there was literally no need for Maas to make the fae world homophobic. If fae are immortal, there wouldn't be such a press for females to breed but, of course, Maas needed a reason for her shoehorned diversity.
If you look at her Pinterest it's obvious that Mor was not originally planned to be gay, anyway.

Mrsbooks (last edited Jun 24, 2017 08:23AM ) Jun 24, 2017 05:58AM   0 votes
Desi wrote: "If it was indeed meant be a more serious book I think Maas failed miserably. What really irks me is that the potential was definitely there but it was squandered on irrelevant sex scenes and soulfu..."

Totally agree about the potential. As much as I loved Tamlin in the first book, I had kind of liked where Maas was headed with this. It felt unique but it was so poorly executed.

I really liked Rhys in the first novel and felt like he turned into a complete wuss in the second and third.

Everything was turned around with not enough character development for the change to make sense to me.

I found it super annoying that Feyre could do no wrong. Everything was always "her" decision. I've been married for 13 years now. Everything is not my decision. Nor is everything my husbands decision. We make decisions as a couple for what's best for the relationship. Not all decisions get made like that, but the most important ones do.

I just found Maas was trying to make Rhys so opposite of what she'd suddenly turned Tamlin into. There was even a moment where Feyre was upset about a decision Rhys was going to make. It wasn't "his" decision then was it?

"just imagine someone you love and feel creepily possessive over disappears without a trace in the middle of a fucking battle. You'd probably flip your shit and have at least a few stern words for them"

YUP!

If it was indeed meant be a more serious book I think Maas failed miserably. What really irks me is that the potential was definitely there but it was squandered on irrelevant sex scenes and soulful gazing into each other's eyes. We were constantly told that Feyre and Rhys are this power couple that will rule together, but what I saw them both do was growl at people or talk about doing stuff. The book itself reminded me of a jelly filled powdered donut. It had aspirations of being dark and gritty but all the bits that were dark and gritty were undercut by that awful ending and horribly overwritten dramatic scenes. Oh and Rhys became the anti-tamlin and just forgave Feyre right away every time she made a dumbass decision. Frankly it's unrealistic, just imagine someone you love and feel creepily possessive over disappears without a trace in the middle of a fucking battle. You'd probably flip your shit and have at least a few stern words for them. And why did she lie to Mor about it? That made even less sense, she could've said I have an idea not sure if it will work but you have to trust me. If they're such great friends and they all trust Feyre so damn much it wouldn't be a problem.

Oh and the whole Amren character was ruined for me. Her arc was just ridiculous in this book. And everyone's skin color and sexual orientation being shoved in your face all the time doesn't make up for the lack of diversity in previous books, it's just annoying and artificial. Classic case of over correction.

What I don't understand is how this book even got past her editors. Unless they collectively decided to take a vacation and not bother. It's just like a video game that's been released before all the kinks have been worked out, but unfortunately there are no patches for books.

All that being said, I did enjoy some parts of the book. I'm glad we got a conclusion to the series, all I can do now is hope that Maas learns from her mistakes and doesn't fuck up TOG. I hope my theory that she had taken on too much work at once is why ACOWAR happened.

The villain is very underdeveloped. I would have enjoyed seeing his background, flashbacks something. I do not know him at all. And the pacing was very slow. I am not a fan of single narration and considering this entire story is told through Feyre's point of view made it not as interesting for me. I do not care for Feyre because I keep comparing her to Celeana. And I keep comparing the series which isn't fair I know.

I said it best in my review. This book was like waiting in line for a roller coaster..... (500 page line!) 100 page roller coaster.

But we all have to admit that she still creates incredible worlds and very interesting characters. I love Cassian, Rhys, Nesta, Amren. But Feyre.... I just want Celeana back. And still love her writing, but I agree writing style does change a bit.

And just want to make perfectly clear that I am commenting on the book not the writer. I love Maas. She is one of my favorite authors by far.

Desi The villain thing bothers me so much!! I thought she was saving some epic origin story for later, but fuck me that was so underwhelming. He was suppos ...more
Nov 15, 2017 05:06AM
Cecilia Hahn nor the villain nor thecharacters were treated well in the book. All were flat. Even Rhysand, I loved him in the previous books, he was such interesti ...more
Nov 15, 2017 06:03AM

Totally agree. I read ACOTAR and ACOMAF before throne of glass so I had no idea how much she plagiarizes her own work. I mean the ending of Empire of Storms was almost exactly the same as ACOMAF it's ridiculous.

I definitely think she was trying to write more LGBT and POC characters for the sake of it. And honestly the whole mating bit started grating on my nerves big time it ruined Rhys and Feyre's relationship for me. Rowan and Aelin's too.

I actually liked ACOWAR a lot. It definitely wasn't ACOMAF but I enjoyed like every other SJM book :)

Chaitrali wrote: "Unlike most of the people I hated ACOMAF.
It wasn't for me. I didn't like the characters, Rhys wasn't as cool as he was in ACOTAR, every character felt like the splitting image of Aelin -too much ..."
Cassian was always tanned, and I hated how Maas destroyed Mor's character after that whole bullshit story about why she couldn't tell the inner circle that she was gay or bi or whatever she is, and how she's been dragging Azriel's self-worth and feeling through the mud for fifty hundred damn years when she's always known how he felt about her. After that whole thing I couldn't read her without hating her even more each page that she was in.