Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Bookshop on the Corner - Cagon - 3.5 (4) stars

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited May 23, 2017 12:22PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
The Bookshop on the Corner - J. Cagon
(also titled The Little Shop of Happy-Ever-After)
Audio performance by L. Price-Lewis
3.5 stars

Beach reading. Introverted 21st century librarian loses her job when a branch library is closed. She’s pushed out onto a life changing limb by circumstances and finds herself driving a refurbished van filled with used books in an agricultural, remote area of Scotland. I never figured out where the ‘corner’ bookstore was, because she just drives the van and parks it wherever she finds customers. Add a dreamy, poetical, Latvian, train engineer and a sexy, Scottish, farmer, and...there are no surprises in the plot or the satisfying ending. I would have enjoyed more connections or discussions of the actual books that were sold, but that isn’t where this story was headed.

Not my favorite audio performance. I disliked the voice she gave to the protagonist, Nina Redmond. Too high pitched, airy and wimpy. This isn’t a first person narrative, but I don’t no why Price-Lewis couldn’t have used her normal, and perfectly pleasant, voice for the lead female. It wasn’t terrible, just could have been better. Completely acceptable lazy day reading.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments I just started this on audio! Lazy day reading is about my speed lately.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments Law school finals, a full time job, yeah, you really need that lazy day reading. Not sure what my excuse is.

message 4: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I really enjoyed this book. Perfect summer read.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Everyone needs lazy day reading! It is good for the soul ;)

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments Nicole R wrote: "Everyone needs lazy day reading! It is good for the soul ;)"

It is! And I enjoyed this book. But it didn't help me to make progress on Alexander Hamilton. I'm enjoying that one, too, but it takes a great deal more effort and concentration.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Jgrace wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Everyone needs lazy day reading! It is good for the soul ;)"

It is! And I enjoyed this book. But it didn't help me to make progress on Alexander Hamilton. I'm enjoyin..."

Hamilton is on my summer TBR as well. I know that I will enjoy it but it will be a much slower read. It will probably take me all summer.

message 8: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments Nicole R wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Everyone needs lazy day reading! It is good for the soul ;)"

It is! And I enjoyed this book. But it didn't help me to make progress on [book:Alexander Hamilton|1613..."

At my current rate, I'll still be reading it in July. So far I'm very impressed. Cornwallis has just surrendered at Yorktown and Aaron Burr is lurking in the Revolutionary background, less than 200 pages into the book. Much more to come.

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Jgrace wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Everyone needs lazy day reading! It is good for the soul ;)"

It is! And I enjoyed this book. But it didn't help me to make progress on [book:Alexan..."

I was waiting until June 1 to start in order to wrap up a couple of other books I have going but the mere mention of the Revolutionary War has me wanting to dive in!

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5631 comments Yes, perfect "lazy day" reading as you finish up finals for this semester.

When are you graduating from law school? I'm thinking we should organize a road trip and all come to your graduation....

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Hahaha, BC! I only take a few classes at a time so it has been slow going but I think I only have 2.5 years left!

PBT definitely is to credit with my successfully getting through law school. Y'all have kept me sane by recommending great books!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments I'll come to Nicole's graduation! Maybe meet Karin and the Jen's for lunch?

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5631 comments I think we should have a contingent at Nichole R's graduation and yell out "NORA, NORA, NORA" as she crosses the stage to get her diploma!

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Lol! I love it! Maybe I should invite Nora!!! She could be the commencement speaker!!!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments Now that would be hillarious - a group of oddball strangers screaming Nora at a law school graduation!

message 16: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Or we can scream Twilight!!!!!

message 17: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Ha! It is a toss up as to which would be more embarrassing. I do go to law school with 22 year olds...

message 18: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments I just finished and we rated it the same but I rounded down where you rounded up.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Jgrace (last edited May 26, 2017 04:53PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments Nicole R wrote: "I just finished and we rated it the same but I rounded down where you rounded up.

I will say that I was a bit thrown off because here I was,
reading a cozy little romance and then, BAM!, suddenly..."

You never can tell with those librarians. But that's one reason why I thought the reader's voice for that character was all wrong.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments I'd like to wear some kind of unusual costume for Nicole's graduation.... something large and bulky, or either a slutty superhero.

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Aaannnddd...your invitation has been revoked.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments Too bad, the uninvited guest had a fabulous gift planned! Lol!