What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA paranormal romance, girl loves past drowned boy who returns as multiple people. Possible Spoilers ahead...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J | 2 comments This was a book I read sometime in the early 90s, I believe. It was about a young girl who goes on vacation (to someplace on the east coast, maybe) with her immediate family (just parents and an older sister, if I remember correctly), to a house on a lake or near a lake. Local legends tell of a boy who drowned in the lake at some point in the past. The beginning of the book has her swimming in the lake and touching some kind of stone wall (?) under the water where she feels someone someone try to take her hand. Soon afterwards, a group of unknown young men suddenly appear in the community.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW
Each boy represents a part of the drowned one. Heart, brain, and body (which I seem to remember being twins). The heart and the main character fall for each other while the twins try to fight everyone, and the brain toys with the affections of the older sister. I remember the names of the boys were all based on the titles or authors of books in the main character's vacation home. One of them was something that isn't typically a first name, I think. I keep thinking Haplo or Marx, but neither of those has helped my searches.

Does anyone remember this? I have searched for every combination of anything I can possibly think of and it has been frustratingly fruitless. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
J, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by J (new)

J | 2 comments I am still looking for this! :)

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
The Tricksters (1986) by Margaret Mahy matches your description.

Some reviewers say, "... "many selves" ... it divides its so-called Trickster into three selves: mind, heart, body." | "Harry, real name Ariadne, is the seventeen-year-old bookish, quiet daughter lost in a large family. Most of her excitement comes from secretly writing a torrid romance. One day on holiday, she jokingly marries the sea to entertain herself and her brother. The next day, three mysterious brothers show up at the house, using names that clearly came from the bookshelf (Ovid, Hadfield, and Felix). Notably, they all look like characters from her story. Also, the three men may all be the ghost of the same person, Teddy Carnival - the mysteriously dead son of the original owner of the vacation home."

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "young adult" fantasy romance boy drowned ghost vacation three

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Tricksters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret Mahy (other topics)