Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Monthly Book Suggestions > Ageism (July 2017)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1380 comments Mod
July's topic/theme is Ageism

Please suggest books that fit this theme. You have till 5/30/17

message 2: by Mariah Roze (new)

Romiette and Julio by Sharon M. Draper Romiette and Julio by Sharon M. Draper
Like Shakespeare's famous star-crossed lovers, Romiette Cappelle and Julio Montague face strong opposition to their budding romance. In their case, a dangerous gang's disapproval of their interracial relationship puts the two in mortal peril.

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments The Diaries of Jane Somers: Diary of a Good Neighbour and If the Old Could Part 1&2 by Doris Lessing. I read this as a teenager with little interest in understanding or spending time with the elderly. Reading it shifted my perspective and that hasn't left me since.

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 8 comments I'll nominate A Man Called Ove A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

message 6: by Mariah Roze (new)

Cathie wrote: "I'll nominate A Man Called Ove A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman"

LOVED THIS BOOK!

message 7: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 48 comments Cathie wrote: "I'll nominate A Man Called Ove A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman"

Great choice! As I've already read Ove, it would make my life easier.

When Brina posted her review of Lillian Boxfish, I was intrigued and would be quite happy with that choice.

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I think anything written by Kent Haruf, He writes about people in the later years of their life. Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf is wonderful and bittersweet. I would read this book again!

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina There are some plays that are great and could be read in addition to the book:

Driving Miss Daisy by Alfred Uhry
The Sisters Rosenzweig by Wendy Wasserstein
August: Osage County by Tracey Letts

Also I just read a book that discusses a different aspect of ageism the classic The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi

message 10: by Brina (new)

Brina But from all the above choices, Lillian Boxfish and Driving Miss Daisy I think are the two better ones.

message 11: by Mariah Roze (new)

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Disrupted My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble by Dan Lyons Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble By: Dan Lyons

message 12: by Valyssia (new)

Valyssia Leigh | 5 comments Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 10 comments Lesley wrote: "I think anything written by Kent Haruf, He writes about people in the later years of their life. Our Souls at Night by Kent Harufis wonderful and bittersweet. I would read this book again!"

I loved that book.