Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Mystery > Review for a Review?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Hi Everyone,

I published my second book a couple of weeks ago and I am looking for some readers to buy it, review it and pass it on.

I am really pleased with it but I just can't drum up the interest. Anyone who is feeling like making my day, please buy it and read it!!

Thanks
Sophie

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 19 comments If you ask people for reviews, you'll be better off offering free copies in exchange for an honest review on x site.

message 3: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 1010 comments Amazon has a new policy that no longer lets authors offer free books in exchange for reviews.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike (mcrowl) | 7 comments But you can still do it on Goodreads.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (mcrowl) | 7 comments I can review it some time over the next month, probably. Can you send me a digital copy of some kind? Mobi or epub...

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 19 comments Sophie wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I published my second book a couple of weeks ago and I am looking for some readers to buy it, review it and pass it on.

I am really pleased with it but I just can't drum up the inter..."

Hi Sophie, as a start, I think your blurb needs a little tweaking, theres one word in particular which doesn't make any sense:
"What Larissa is running from needs to maintain a secret in order for her to move on. But the events that unfold throw everything in to question. " <- The word 'maintain' seems like it should be 'remain' for the whole sentence to work?

And "will she find out the truth?" The truth about what? The secret she's running from? It seems a tiny bit too obscure, sorry.
That's just my two cents worth.
And I agree with the others above, a giveaway is a good idea.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Mike wrote: "I can review it some time over the next month, probably. Can you send me a digital copy of some kind? Mobi or epub..."

The problem with giving free copies is that Amazon won't let you review if you aren't a verified publisher :(

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I am really pleased with it but I just can't dr..."

Thank you so much, I take this on board. I will try to amend!

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I am really pleased with it but I just can't dr..."

Kirsten, how about this:

Running from a secret that needed to be left behind, Larissa arrives in Australia from the UK. She meets long lost friend Sam and they head into the outback to chase a childhood dream. What Larissa is running from needs to remain a secret in order for her to move on, but the events that unfold throw everything in to question.

After discovering a mysterious box in their new home together it become apparent that she has a lot in common with the previous occupiers. They, too, had an unwanted visitor. It is up to Larissa to determine who she can trust and who she can't; but will she get it right?

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 19 comments Sophie wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I am really pleased with it but..."

How about this?

Running from secrets almost never ends well

Running from a secret that needed to be left behind, Larissa arrives in Australia. With long lost friend Sam, they head into the outback to chase a childhood dream.

What Larissa is running from needs to remain a secret for her to move on, but the events that follow her throw everything in to question.

With the arrival of an unwanted guest, and after discovering a mysterious box in her new home, it becomes apparent she has too much in common with the previous occupiers.

It is up to Larissa to determine who she can trust and who she can't; but will she get it right?

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Yes, I do like that. However, the actual visitor isn't a person who comes to stay and becomes an integral character in the plot so that wouldn't fit...

Thank you for this, I will take it on board :)

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 19 comments Sophie wrote: "Yes, I do like that. However, the actual visitor isn't a person who comes to stay and becomes an integral character in the plot so that wouldn't fit...

Thank you for this, I will take it on board :)"

Oh okay, my misinterpretation! And I just saw your message! Sorry I missed it before. You'll make it work. Sounds great. I tinkered with my own blurb two weeks ago, book was published in May 2015, and it made it to #2 in two Amazon charts last week. I'm still in shock. Playing with some of those key words really works!

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Yes, I do like that. However, the actual visitor isn't a person who comes to stay and becomes an integral character in the plot so that wouldn't fit...

Thank you for this, I will ta..."

WOW! You literally changed the blurb and that was it? I need mine to do that, lol. I am trying so hard but getting no bites.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 19 comments Sophie wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Yes, I do like that. However, the actual visitor isn't a person who comes to stay and becomes an integral character in the plot so that wouldn't fit...

Thank you for..."

I changed the blurb, across all the Amazon platforms. Tidied up all my Amazon Author Central stuff - again across all the platforms. And I changed categories. I had been in Historical Fiction/Fantasy, but changed it to SciFi/Time Travel. I was dubious to start with, but overnight, it sky rocketed.

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Timms | 7 comments Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Yes, I do like that. However, the actual visitor isn't a person who comes to stay and becomes an integral character in the plot so that wouldn't fit......"

Oh i wish i had your luck!! Right, last chance:

Running from secrets never ends well and Larissa is doing just that. Escaping to the safety of long lost friend Sam, together they head into the outback to pursue a childhood dream, whilst being chased by her past in England.

What Larissa is running from needs to remain a secret for her to move on, but the events that follow her throw everything in to question.

After discovering a mysterious box in her new home, and experiencing weird occurrences, it becomes apparent she has too much in common with the previous occupiers. They, too, had a visitor but was it the same one?

It is up to Larissa to determine who she can trust and who she can't; but will she get it right?