Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Boxsets

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4620 comments I saw this article today about boxsets and thought it might be an informative read for everyone

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2017/0...

I'd be very reluctant to get involved with a boxset put together by someone I don't know, but I like the idea of being involved with multiple authors for extra exposure.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments I think it could work if each author contributed a permafree short story or novella?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments That was interesting. It's not something I have a burning desire to take part in right now, because the organisation and investigation sounds like it could take more time than I have available at the moment. I'd rather work on getting more books out there first. I've been scammed before for hundreds of pounds with my other business and don't want history to repeat itself. Sounds like something that could work if you have your wits about you. Saying that though, I appear to have created my own damn genre so I'm less likely to find a box set I'd fit in to lol.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4620 comments Erin wrote: "I think it could work if each author contributed a permafree short story or novella?"

I think it could also work if it's a bunch of authors who all write series and each contributes the first book their series and the boxset is either free or 99c. If a lot of people get the boxset it could lead to sales of the rest of the books in the various series.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4620 comments Amy wrote: "That was interesting. It's not something I have a burning desire to take part in right now, because the organisation and investigation sounds like it could take more time than I have available at t..."

That is a bit of a problem, but when you have a couple more books out you can always make your own boxset to offer at a discount, that might help to attract attention.

I'm waiting to release the third book in my series then I'm going to offer them as a boxset for 2/3 the price of buying the books separately.

message 6: by Amy (last edited May 23, 2017 05:58AM) (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments My own boxset is a damned good idea. There is scope for a third book in the series. I have a shorter attention span at the moment and seem to want to write novella lengths-although I've just checked google. Wiki says that a novel word length starts at 40k words. I'm over that by a small amount. Ugh one big book or publish the second as is. Nope go for the second. I have other characters to unleash.

I also like the idea of sticking a first book of a series into a box set of um first books in a series. Just need to find a Sci-Fi/dystopian/with sex boxset lol

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4620 comments Amy wrote: "My own boxset is a damned good idea. There is scope for a third book in the series. I have a shorter attention span at the moment and seem to want to write novella lengths-although I've just checke..."

That could be a challenge, but sometimes challenges are fun. I'd join you but at present I only have sci-fi in my repertoire, I'm lacking the dystopian and the set, and I'm not sure I can add them. If I come up wtih something, though, I'll let you know

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I'm clinging to dystopian as a vague genre. Not everything conforms to dystopia as per online definitions.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Def think there's a lot of traction with collaborating with other authors on a boxed set, specially since promo efforts will be multiplied.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Erin wrote: "Def think there's a lot of traction with collaborating with other authors on a boxed set, specially since promo efforts will be multiplied."

Yes if you can find one that has matches genres and that isn't a scam.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Eww, scams. They seem to have been invented for indie authors *sigh* Another reason to love groups like this one. I'm going to keep my eye out for some possibilities...

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I could live without another scam. I signed up for one with my other business in the very early days. Paid £400+VAT and lost the lot. It was supposed to supply me with an advert for my business on a local doctor's surgery appointment cards years ago. I spent the next 16 years of my career warning other people in the business against making the same mistake.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Amy wrote: "I could live without another scam. I signed up for one with my other business in the very early days. Paid £400+VAT and lost the lot. It was supposed to supply me with an advert for my business on ..."

:( Sorry to hear that...we have to be so careful these days.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4620 comments We all have to be careful, not only of scams, but of our time and of our money to be sure we're not wasting them.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Alex wrote: "We all have to be careful, not only of scams, but of our time and of our money to be sure we're not wasting them."

+1

message 16: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 153 comments My friend was in a boxed set that got on USA today's list. She was virtually unknown and luckily landed in the group.

I'd be interested in getting involved in one as well. I write urban fantasy (fantasy in general). I don't think all the books in a boxed set need to be in the same genre specifically, but should be all sci fi or all fantasy. IMHO.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4620 comments Nat wrote: "My friend was in a boxed set that got on USA today's list. She was virtually unknown and luckily landed in the group.

I'd be interested in getting involved in one as well. I write urban fantasy (..."

Great stuff on your friend's part. I hope you're able to find a boxset to take part in, especially if it does as well.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread