Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Young Adult Fiction > Blurred lines between young adult and adult reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (marktheflamebook) | 14 comments I often wonder if there should be a category that allows for books that appeals to young adults and adults. There is a stigma that is associated with both designations. I'm looking for other readers thoughts. Mark

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (marktheflamebook) | 14 comments Victoria: You make some good points. I wonder if something like "advanced reader" might make a good genra. Something to indicate above childrens books, but not have the stigma of being for young or adult. Many of the sicience fiction novels, and even the classics would fall into this catagory. Just some thoghts. Thanks for the reply.

message 3: by J.N. (last edited May 23, 2017 01:59PM) (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 65 comments At the risk of sounding obtuse... this conversation makes me wonder whether the "YA" in "The YA-YA Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (not that I ever saw that movie) stands for "young adult."

Even if this coincidental insight proved true, I could not bring myself to watch it.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (marktheflamebook) | 14 comments I hate to admit it, but I'm genetically allergic to anything that smacks of romantic comedy. The Traveling Pants movie oozed that kind of vibe. But we digress, and yes it does seem young adult.

message 5: by Shari (new)

Shari Branning Oh my goodness, I agree!!! At 30somthing, I still enjoy reading young adult, if its intelligent, and doesn't fall into that HORRIBLE new fad of first-person, present-tense narration. I think a lot of it has to do with being busy, with my mind constantly full, and YA is usually easy, quick, and (relatively) clean(er), for those of us who have a higher cringe threshold. Sometimes trying to slog through complex, emotionally draining adult books is just too exhausting, when you're looking for diversion. On the other hand, you could find yourself in the middle of a high school soap opera.

There is a relatively new genre called "new adult," but from the little research I've done on it, it looks like more of its own species, and not that happy place where genres overlap.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (marktheflamebook) | 14 comments Shari wrote: "Oh my goodness, I agree!!!

It has been an issue I've been lamenting, because I've listed a book as YA, that has received it's best reviews from adults. I may have to reconsider the category and how it's listed. But it truly is a blend of YA and adult. I think we need a new inclusive genre.

message 7: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 138 comments My best suggestion is to find someone on Goodreads who likes the sort of books that you like. You can go to that person's profile and do a compare books to be more certain about that. Check to see if this person with similar tastes also reads and likes YA novels, those YA novels will have more of a chance of being the sort of book that you would like.

message 8: by Isaac (last edited May 23, 2017 05:18PM) (new)

Isaac Alder | 9 comments Genres in general are so obnoxious! I loathe trying to categorize my books in such terms.
I've heard so many different "lines" for YA versus non-YA. Explicit sex, frequent strong language, extreme gore, etc. all push them past that line. Sort of like the ratings for movies. But books are so much more complex than that! What if they don't have any of those things, but they deal with intellectual concepts above young adults, or simply that's not the intended audience? It's madness!
That being said, I have also heard of a few publishers using the term "new adult," which seems to cover the late teens to late 20s. I kinda like that, but then again it just creates another genre for us to scratch our heads over.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (marktheflamebook) | 14 comments Isaac wrote: "Genres in general are so obnoxious! I

I'm right there with you Isaac.