UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by eastwood (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) (last edited May 23, 2017 04:20AM) (new)

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments was just wondering how people are feeling about the events last night.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11041 comments Really devastating news, especially being so close to home, and was only in the City Centre 2 weeks ago. Fortunately don’t know anyone who was there, although I know people who have tickets for Friday, but so sad for the affected families. Very odd atmosphere in our office today, especially after the second attack on the Arndale Centre. So pleased that so many rallied round last night though

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments yes have just heard that has happened, can't be good for people's nerves in that area at the moment.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21833 comments It's surprising how widely it's reached. I had to phone a woman who works for one of the charities and I needed her organisation to help somebody, and she was in shock. Her daughter had decided not to go to the concert but some friends of hers had gone.
Even the manager of our Costa Coffee locally was asking on facebook about named individuals, friends of his who he knows like the performer and were thinking of going.
Here a lot of people will go to Manchester for concerts, and because of the universities a lot of people have friends in Manchester

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I feel a bit ambivalent about discussing it. It's my home town and the amount of traffic on Facebook and Twitter is giving the evil men the spotlight. They should be condemned then ignored.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments yeah but look at the celebs getting in on the act, why ?

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Kath wrote: "I feel a bit ambivalent about discussing it. It's my home town and the amount of traffic on Facebook and Twitter is giving the evil men the spotlight. They should be condemned then ignored."

I agree with you Kath. It's just what they hope for.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments didn't Manchester actually rehearse something like a terror attack in the shopping mall not so long back ?

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Celebs have as much right as we do to comment. And everywhere should have a plan, whether or not they actually rehearse. It would be negligent not to.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments just think a lot jump on the bleeding hearts bandwagon , totally agree on the plan, we used to rehearse in the hospitals for such events.

message 11: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments The sad thing is that there is next to nothing we can do to stop a suicide bomber from walking into a crowded place.

There's nothing we can say or do right now to make it feel any better, but we feel the need to say or do something.

I have no problem with celebs wanting to say something. Sometimes it can help both them and the wider community.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments did you know people were complaining this morning that the Jeremy kyle show was cancelled.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11041 comments eastwood (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) wrote: "did you know people were complaining this morning that the Jeremy kyle show was cancelled."

I find that really disgusting

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I've only seen it once. Cancelling's too good for it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Kath wrote: "I've only seen it once. Cancelling's too good for it."

I heartily agree.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11041 comments I've just had to turn the news off, seeing the tributes was really upsetting

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21833 comments yes reading this morning's paper was swiftly done :-(

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments kim kardashian's tribute to Manchester is mainly what I was trying to put over in an earlier post.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments Try Emlyn Pearce on FB, Eastwood. He's not 'famous' as far as I know, but his post on 'I want to say thank you to the Muslim who changed my world' is moving. He wasn't talking about the sad person who was the bomber, either.
Sorry, I don't know how to do a link.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments will have a look at that Elizabeth , thanks

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11041 comments Apparently a block of flats in the city centre have been evacuated :-(

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments well things are going to be very nervy over the next few weeks, just like it was in france.