Reading Envy Readers discussion

Episode Chatter > Episode 087: Going Native with Bookclub Social

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited May 23, 2017 04:04AM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 992 comments Mod
Grace and Amanda have been studying the culture of online book clubs. Half the episode is about their research, and the other half is a typical episode featuring six books.

Reading Envy Podcast 087

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (last edited May 27, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

Elizabeth☮  | 249 comments I am in the middle of this podcast and find this absolutely fascinating. I have tried face to face book clubs and they don't work for me. It is typically because I have kids and it's difficult to commit to a book club every month at a given time.

I have been part of a book club here on goodreads for seven years. I have made some great friends here and enjoy sharing my reads, but also my life with them.

And, on another note, I have had a pen-pal that I have been writing to for thirty-six years, so I know how to maintain a friendship from afar.

Elizabeth☮ wrote: "I am in the middle of this podcast and found this absolutely fascinating. I have tried face to face book clubs and they don't work for me. It is typically because I have kids and it's difficult to ..."

I think online book clubs have been life changing for me! Alongside these online communities of readers that are even broader.

message 4: by Nadine in California (last edited May 26, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 144 comments I don't do Twitter, Instagram, etc., and barely have a presence on Facebook - I'm way too distracted by other stuff as it is. I was on GoodReads for years before I even noticed it had a social media component. Now I love GR online book groups - enriches my reading so much! And Jenny, thanks for the tip about the links to discussions of a book at the bottom of its GR page. I've never scrolled down far enough to see it.

Nadine wrote: "I don't do Twitter, Instagram, etc., and barely have a presence on Facebook - I'm way too distracted by other stuff as it is. I was on GoodReads for years before I even noticed it had a social medi..."
I found one of my best groups that way!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Nadine wrote: "I don't do Twitter, Instagram, etc., and barely have a presence on Facebook - I'm way too distracted by other stuff as it is. I was on GoodReads for years before I even noticed it had a social medi..."

I'm exactly the same way! I wish I had a face to face book club like Jenny has, I think it was an international one ? There was a podcast episode with two ladies from the group. Side note to Jenny I would love to hear from those two ladies again, maybe a yearly one where you talk about the books in that book club. I remember putting quite a few titles from that episode in my TBR

Mary wrote: "I'm exactly the same way! I wish I had a face to face book club like Jenny has, I think it was an international one ? There was a podcast episode with two ladies from the group. Side note to Jenny I would love to hear from those two ladies again, maybe a yearly one where you talk about the books in that book club. I remember putting quite a few titles from that episode in my TBR "

Yes, the Upstate International Book Club. I love it so much! I will let Holly and Caroline know that they should come back - they love talking about our reads. I could also have two others. Everyone in that club is so serious about it.