Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Denise Baer
This topic is about Denise Baer
Beta Readers > First Chapter, Two Versions Beta Read

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (last edited May 24, 2017 10:08AM) (new)

Denise Baer Hello All,

I'm about to begin my 4th revision of my crime mystery novel set in Chicago. I have a critique partner, but right now, I'm looking for a few beta readers to read my first chapter. It's 1,194 words and in 1st POV. I'd like to state that there is gore in the first chapter since a murder is taking place. If you don't like bloody details, then this isn't for you. Below is what I'm looking for from the read:

Does the first line hook you? Would you want to continue reading? Does it evoke any emotion? Please don’t hesitate to mention what you like or dislike.

If you're interested, please leave a comment here or send me a PM with your email address.

Thanks much.
Denise

message 2: by Lauren-Marie (new)

Lauren-Marie Brouwer | 9 comments If you send it to me I will take a look. :)

message 3: by Denise (last edited May 24, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Denise Baer Lauren-Marie wrote: "If you send it to me I will take a look. :)"

Hello Lauren, Thanks so much. Before I do, I should mention that there is gore within the first chapter because it's a murder taking place. If this isn't something you want to read, then I understand. Let me know.

message 4: by Lauren-Marie (new)

Lauren-Marie Brouwer | 9 comments I'm good with gore :) send it over.

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I sent you a PM, Lauren-Marie. Thanks much.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Thanks to all who have contacted me. Much appreciated and I'm revising now.

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Hello,

A few people beta read my first chapter. With some of the input, I revised the chapter. I have a critique partner, but right now, I'm looking for a few beta readers to read the two versions of my first chapter. The first revision is 1,257 words, and the second revision is 1,460 words. Please note that there is gore in the first chapter since a murder is taking place. If you don't like bloody details, then this isn't for you. Below is what I'm looking for from the read:

Which first line hooks you the best? Which one brings on the action first? Which revision feels creepier? Please don’t hesitate to mention anything else you like or dislike about them.

If you're interested, please leave a comment here or send me a PM with your email address.

Thanks much.
Denise