Modern Tales of Na Fianna Read Along discussion

Blood Ties (Modern Tales of Na Fianna #1)
This topic is about Blood Ties
Reading Discussions! > Week One (June 4th-10)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
This is the discussion board for week one of the Blood Ties read along! This will span from June 4th-10th

We will be reading chapters 1-10 this week.

Since not everyone reads at the same pace, be considerate and use the Spoiler setting for any discussions that might be considered a spoiler :)

message 2: by Hazel (new) - added it

Okay, I'm gonna kick off the official discussion!

What does everyone think so far?

Joseph Leskey (reconditestaff) | 8 comments Hazel wrote: "Okay, I'm gonna kick off the official discussion!

What does everyone think so far?"

Oh dear. I've now advanced far enough to have intelligible thoughts; however, I'm afraid it's hard to pinpoint exactly what they represent.

I like it. (Really useful information there.) At the moment, what I especially appreciate is the fact that (view spoiler). (Not sure if that is actually a spoiler, but as the wise used to declare: "better safe than sorry.")

message 4: by Hazel (new) - added it

Haha, no I wouldn't say that's a spoiler. That's actually one of my favorite things about this world too :P

Claire Banschbach | 6 comments I've already read the book before (several bits multiple times) so suffice to say that I thoroughly enjoy it.

Love all the cars and motorcycles that everyone uses. It's one of my favorite parts of the story! :)

I also really appreciate Caitlin and how Ciran and Tierney are totally cool with her coming along. And that chase scene! :)

message 6: by Hazel (new) - added it

I'm glad everyone liked the chase scene, it was actually one of the first ideas I had for this book. My main idea for this before I even figured out the setting was 'modern day warriors with sports cars, and what if there were goblins who rode motorcycles?" I'm just glad the combo works haha :P

Merenwen Inglorion | 6 comments Yas, that chase scene. There need to be more. Like, a dozen or so. :D

I think this line would make quite an entertaining short story: (view spoiler)

Also, the first time I read through this, the long sentences kind of annoyed me. But now it reads like its Ciran's voice; excited, eager, prone to rambling about things he's excited about.
I just won't be trying to read this aloud anytime soon... X)

message 8: by Hazel (new) - added it

Chase scenes are actually incredibly hard to write, but there will be two more in Book Three ;)

Haha, I'm afraid I can't always help when some character POVs have long sentences or not. Honestly it can be annoying to me as well, especially when getting them to flow right :P

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments I write long sentences in my stories too! I thinks it's a byproduct of reading so many old books growing up. People used to know how to write ginormous sentences and make them work. XD You don't see much of that in modern books...

I haven't started reading the section yet but I'm so excited to! :D YES, I definitely love the chase scene and whole idea--the modern/old-fashioned/faerie mix is one of my favorite things about the book! <3

message 10: by Hazel (new) - added it

That's probably part of it too. Classic authors had definite run-ons ;P

message 11: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hey guys, don't forget to give me suggestions for Fanart Friday (on the fan art thread, please)! And if you have any art you want to do, feel free to share! Regardless, I'll post something, whether you give me suggestions or not :P

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments I started! :D I've only read the first chapter so far, but I LOVE THIS WORLD SO MUCH AND I MISSED IT AND AWK! *hugs it*

Also, I love how they were having their first great Goblin War while "the rest of the world" was having WWII. XD

And Ciran threatening Tierney if Tierney hurts his car. :P They're the best! I love this story. <3

message 13: by Hazel (new) - added it

Yeah, Ireland missed out on punching Nazis in the universe :P

message 14: by Hazel (new) - added it

Guys, I got up a pic for Fanart Friday, go check it out in that discussion board :)

Abigail H. Leskey (runeknitter) | 24 comments I didn't get my chapters read this week, alas.

I like how how they have to (view spoiler); it is realistic, and unusual for a quest story. And the knitting Berserker :D

(I've already read this twice, if any of you are wondering.)

Abigail H. Leskey (runeknitter) | 24 comments All the Irish Gaelic is interesting (and the spelling is...wondrous. A long farewell, phonics!)

A very good company of characters.

message 17: by Hazel (new) - added it

Irish phonetics is definitely very interesting. But they don't use the whole 26 letter alphabet either.

message 18: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara | 3 comments Riordan is my favorite. Berserker who knits and drinks herbal tea - just love him so much. I'd drink herbal tea with him any day. ^_^ And yes, we herbal tea drinkers can be bears in the morning if we don't have our herbal tea!!

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments Mara wrote: "Riordan is my favorite. Berserker who knits and drinks herbal tea - just love him so much. I'd drink herbal tea with him any day. ^_^ And yes, we herbal tea drinkers can be bears in the morning if ..."

Bear... Now I suddenly want a spin-off short story about a time when Riordan accidentally gets turned into an actual real-life bear by some Fae accident, and they know it's him because he's so mild-mannered and keeps trying to drink herbal tea and get into the balls of yarn. XDDD

message 20: by Hazel (new) - added it

@Deborah, I suddenly feel like this has turned into an episode of Merlin LOL :P That would be funny though. I might actually sanction that as a fanfic ;)

Riordan was one of those supporting characters I really liked too. He was very interesting to be because he was sort of a contradiction.

By the way, the art for Fanart Friday is up and features Keevan and Riordan ;) I also posted a sketch dump with pretty much every character on it :P

message 21: by R.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.J. Rodda (rjrodda) | 9 comments I think Aedan needs to take up knitting. That would help him, right!?

message 22: by Hazel (new) - added it

He definitely needs some sort of relaxing hobby :)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments Rebekah wrote: "I think Aedan needs to take up knitting. That would help him, right!?"

Oh my goodness, this made me laugh. XD YES. Riordan should open a Manly Knit and Crochet club to relax all the warriors who need relaxing hobbies. XDDD

message 24: by Hazel (new) - added it

That may not be too far from what I had in mind from the future, actually :P

Claire Banschbach | 6 comments Haha! Love it. Like a ptsd support group with knitting?

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments Hazel wrote: "That may not be too far from what I had in mind from the future, actually :P"

:O OH MY GOODNESS. :D

message 27: by Hazel (new) - added it

Well, it might more have something to do with a planned love interest for Riordan, but that's for book Four so I don't want to say too much about it ;)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments Hazel wrote: "Well, it might more have something to do with a planned love interest for Riordan, but that's for book Four so I don't want to say too much about it ;)"

:O :O :O :O :O :O
:D :D :D :D :D :D
^My feelings basically