Modern Tales of Na Fianna Read Along discussion

Fun Stuff > Irish Mythology & Folklore Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
This is where we talk about Irish and Faery folklore and mythology!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments Detail I caught this time: the salmon on the medallion that's the Mac Cool family crest! :D Great reference. Love that. :)

Do you have a favorite (and/or recommended) book(s)/source about the Na Fianna for those of us who wish to read more of the old legends? :)

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Thanks ;)

I loved Rosemary Sutcliff's re-writes of the legends The High Deeds of Finn Mac Cool That was what I took a lot of the stories and names from actually because I couldn't find a very extensive collection of them otherwise. The other really good book I found was Irish Legends which has the three cycles of Irish mythology in it, and talks about the Fianna and the De Dannan and all that too.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Rawls (erawls) | 3 comments What's a good book on Faery folklore and myths?

message 5: by Hazel (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "What's a good book on Faery folklore and myths?"

I've had a bit of trouble finding good books on faery lore. There's several that are kind of vague and most of them are encyclopedias. One of my favorites is The Element Encyclopedia of Fairies which has a bunch of info on faeries and supernatural creatures from all over the world and also sections that discuss the lore and stuff of faeries in general.

Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia is also a pretty good reference, but doesn't have as much information. Really as far as general faerie lore, I just found that reading the old folktales is the best source of information and you can find lots of collections of fairy and irish folktales.

message 6: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rodda (rjrodda) | 9 comments Love Rosemary Sutcliffe's work. Great you were inspired by her

message 7: by Hazel (new)

She is definitely one of my favorite historical fiction authors ever :)