Play Book Tag discussion

Les Liaisons dangereuses
This topic is about Les Liaisons dangereuses
Archive: Other Books > Dangerous Liaisons - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Dangerous Liaisons by Choderlos De Laclos
3/5 stars

This book has been on my to-do list for quite a few years. I am glad to have finally read it. Originally published in 1782, it is a novel of France's aristocracy as told through letters. The protagonists are Marquise de Merteuil and Vicomte de Valmont who scheme against the young and naive Cecile Volanges and Chevalier Danceny. Other themes include distinction of classes, coming-of-age, language/relationships through letters, love and marriage. I appreciate the uniqueness of the novel for the time period but the story seemed dated to me and the characters unlikable. Looking forward to re-watching the movie.

“Yes I will carefully keep those letters he no longer cares to retain. I will impose upon myself the shame of re-reading them every day, until my tears have washed out the last traces of them; and I shall burn his as being infected with the dangerous poison which has corrupted my soul.”

message 2: by Marina (last edited May 23, 2017 12:22AM) (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I used to own this book but cannot find it anywhere, not even at my parents'. It must be one of those who disappeared after my move from Florence. After reading your review, I'm not really sure I should buy another copy, since you say the story seems dated and the characters unlikable. However, you still gave it 3 stars, so I might think about it after all...

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Marina wrote: "I used to own this book but cannot find it anywhere, not even at my parents'. It must be one of those who disappeared after my move from Florence. After reading your review, I'm not really sure I s..."

Marina don't go by my review, plenty of readers love the book. One member of the group gave it 5 stars. I think it is worth a read. Kindle versions of this book are $0.99 but I am not sure where you live. Happy reading.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Thanks, Diane. I live in Italy, but I've seen that on Amazon.it there are some quite inexpensive versions of this ebook, too. I'll consider this.