Forgotten YA Gems discussion

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Raven Boys
Previous BOTMs > The Raven Boys 1/4

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by destiny ♡⚔♡ (last edited May 31, 2017 04:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) This thread will be for discussing chapters 1-12. If you're unsure of where your spoiler falls in the book, please double-check your chapter number before posting!

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK'S READING:

1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?

2. What was your first impression of each of the Raven boys? Who is your favorite so far?

3. Team Ronan? Team Declan? Or neither?

4. Out of the Raven boys, we learned the most this week about Gansey. What was your first impression of him?

5. I know that this is the first time reading any of Maggie's work for a lot of us. Do you like her writing style so far?

Emily (librariemm) I JUST checked this book out at the library before I realized we were reading this book... yay!!!! I'm pumped guys. This will be my first time reading a Maggie Stiefvater book.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) Emily wrote: "I JUST checked this book out at the library before I realized we were reading this book... yay!!!! I'm pumped guys. This will be my first time reading a Maggie Stiefvater book."

Perfect! It's my first Maggie book, too. :)

message 4: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Tate (tiny012) This will be my first Maggie book as well. I heard so much about it but never got the chance to read it.

Justine (Milkz)  (milkz) Yay! First Maggie book, too! It's also nice to know this is in my physical TBR list and will be checked off lol >.>

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) Hey, guys! I posted a few discussion questions for us in the top comment, so please go check those out and reply with your thoughts over the next week!

Melanie (TBR and Beyond) (tbrandbeyond) I'm really excited as well guys! It's always my first Maggie read - not sure how I waited this long but happy to be reading it along with this group!

message 8: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea (leadiamandis) | 8 comments I already read this one so it's a reread for me but it's one of my fav series and I'm excited to discuss it with all of you !

message 9: by sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

sam (samantharjo) | 4 comments ive read this book like four times already hahaha i guess it's time for a reread

Shannon (theholyterror) I actually stalled out at chapter 6 the first time I tried to read this, so I'm giving it another shot. I've read Shiver and though I didn't hate it I didn't think it was all that great either. So, I'm curious to see how I'll feel about this one.

Whitney (MomsBooksandBaubles) (momsbooksandbaubles) I read this in December and then promptly read the rest of the series in January of this year, but I'll answer the questions still :)

1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue? I'd rather be like Maura, to be honest. I'd want the actual "ability".

2. What was your first impression of each of the Raven boys? Who is your favorite so far? Adam is a quiet type that doesn't seem to "fit" with the group. Gansey is obviously the leader and most outgoing of the group. Ronan is the "bad boy" of the group. Noah is the pensive, quiet one. Favorite is Gansey.

3. Team Ronan? Team Declan? Or neither? Team Ronan, all day.

4. Out of the Raven boys, we learned the most this week about Gansey. What was your first impression of him? He's their leader, people are drawn to him. He cares deeply for his friends, but doesn't understand how he comes off snobbish sometimes.

5. I know that this is the first time reading any of Maggie's work for a lot of us. Do you like her writing style so far? This is the only series I've read by her. It took me a hot minute to get into this book, but once I did, nothing could hold me back. I enjoy her writing style and would definitely consider reading more of her books in the future.

Shannon (theholyterror) Some very quick thoughts:
1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?
Psychic abilities - it'd be annoying to only be useful if someone else has powers.

2. What was your first impression of each of the Raven boys? Who is your favorite so far?
Gansey - obsessive
Adam - weak
Declan - playboy
Ronan - emo
Noah - forgettable

Neither, but if I had to choose I'd pick Ronan.

4. Out of the Raven boys, we learned the most this week about Gansey. What was your first impression of him?
Like I said above, he seems really obsessive. And he doesn't have empathy for anyone else. Things come easy for him and he can't put himself in other peoples' shoes.

5. I know that this is the first time reading any of Maggie's work for a lot of us. Do you like her writing style so far?
Meh. Honestly her writing isn't as flowery as I remember from Shiver, but there are still little things that bother me. She really gets specific about details, to the point where it feels overboard and unnecessary to me. Like when one of the boys was bouncing a ball and had to mention it was a Spongebob ball. Just feels like useless info that fills up the page.

message 13: by Fefe (last edited Jun 02, 2017 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fefe | 19 comments Just reached to the end of chapter 12!

Maura's abilities. If I had Blue's, I would feel used by others just to help someone else's powers to get stronger.

*Gansey - leader, charismatic, isn't aware of his unconscious use of money to solve problems
*Adam - outcast since he isn't as rich as the others, caring, hard-worker
*Ronan - misunderstood, trouble-maker, has a soft side
*Noah - quiet, loner, we don't really get why he is friends with them since he barely speaks/has interactions with the others
I like Adam so far. He is the easiest to have empathy with - doesn't have that much money, feels the need to get good grades to continue in the school, works, is loyal to Gansey...

So far, neither. But I'm slightly becoming Team Ronan.

He is obviously the leader. I feel that he was able to make Adam, Ronan and Noah to be his friends not only because of his charisma but also because Gansey knows each boy has something that will "help" him get to this Welsh king. I still don't fully know why he is so obsessive with that since he is a boy that could get anything with the money that he has. He is the Raven boy that I have least empathy, tied with Noah.

I was afraid I wasn't going to like it because I lot of people comment how difficult it is to get used to. The prologue/first chapter took some time to get used to, but after that it felt like a fast-pacing read for me. I'm glad Maggie's writing isn't flowery, because it something that I don't like that much.

message 14: by destiny ♡⚔♡ (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?
I'd rather have the abilities, but I don't think being an amplifier would be all bad, either.

Gansey - "why is he so obsessed?"
Adam - "aww, how cute and sweet"
Ronan - "well, someone's pissy"
Noah - I keep forgetting he exists?
My favorite so far is Adam, because he's so sweet, but I also really love how Gansey is kind of overly privileged and clueless but I think he genuinely wants to be better and to not offend people, and I like that.

Team Ronan! Declan seems like an asshole.

I think he's really privileged, to the point of having a disconnect from the "real world", and I don't necessarily fault him for it, because it isn't his 'fault'. I appreciate that he tries to watch his wording and to relate to people, even though it's difficult for him. He seems very intelligent and charismatic, and protective/loving of his friends. I also think that he's desperate to find some sort of meaning in life beyond his wealth, which is why he wants to find the king so badly.

I really like it a lot already! It's a quick and easy style for me to read, but it's detailed enough to be pretty.

message 15: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea (leadiamandis) | 8 comments 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?
I'd take the psychic abilities because being around people with psychic abilities while I'm just an amplifier myself and have no clue what's going on would annoy me.

I already read the whole trilogy but Ronan will always be my favorite <3 I usually hate bad boys with a soft side but I just felt sorry for him because of his brother and that's why I started loving him from the start.
I also loved Adam from the start because he was kind of an outsider but also really sweet and caring for his friends.
Noah weirded me out a bit at the beginning tbh.
Lastly, I've never been a Gansey fan right from the start. My only thought was why are you so obsessed with Glendower, don't you have anything else to do??

Is this even a question?

See question 2.

I've read five of her books already and her writing style is not for everyone but to me it's beautiful. I love detailed, poetic descriptions.

Melanie (TBR and Beyond) (tbrandbeyond) 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?

I'm actually going with the opposite answer of others it seems. I'd be an amplifier. I wouldn't want full on powers. Being a psychic is never something I have wanted, I'd rather not know lol

Adam - Complete sweetheart
Gansey - Entitled, charismatic, mysterious. I really like him, I kind of like that he is blunt and doesn't really get things. He's completely not clued in, but not in a catty/nasty kind of way. Very different.

Ronan all the way. I'm still interested in what Declan will bring to the story though. Really interested in what his current girlfriend is up to.

I honestly love the character already. He might be clueless and aloof but he cares deeply about those around him and takes care of his friends.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, took me a bit to get into but now that things are connecting I'm really love it. Very nice flow - poetic.

Kortnie Pimentel 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?

Part of me thinks I would like to have psychic abilities, but then part of me thinks that I wouldn't be up for knowing all those things. Ultimately I think I'll pick the abilities just because I'm a nosy person that likes to be in on everyone's business haha

I think that Noah is weird and I'm not quite sure what to make of him, I think that Ronan has a lot of issues that he has not dealt with and I feel sorry for him but at the same time want to tell him to stop being an ass. I think that Adam is a smol cinnamon roll. And I'm not really sure what to make of Gansey. He seems mysterious and I think there is more going on there but I am not sure what it is. I think right now my favorite is Adam but that could change.

Right now neither.

Like I said earlier I have a hard time figuring Gansey out. I think that he is complex and I'm not sure what to make of it. I think that he cares about people. I think that he hopes that there is more to the world than what most people see and I like that about him because I can relate.

Sometimes I get confused about what exactly is going on, but it is pretty writing. I feel like I'll have to keep reading to really decide how I feel about it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a reread for me so the questions are pretty easy.

I think it would be so freaking cool to be a psychic especially because I'm a super nosy person LOL.

Adam. I'm gay AF but I would freaking marry him.

RONAN RONAN RONAN RONAN

It took me a while to really get attached to him. He's just so complex but once I finished the book I absolutely adored him!

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YESSSSSS

Justine (Milkz)  (milkz) 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?
If there were ways to make my amplifying stronger then I'd pick being an amplifier (seriously thought of this in a video game pov lol >.>)

Gandsey - Thinks too much! Seems to be the pacifier. He's kind of like an archaeologist, so that was cool.
Ronan - I don't care for him much yet, but the raven scene was cute. I like that he is protective of his friends. Also wondering why he pays attention in Latin.
Adam - Insecure, but I get where it's coming from. I felt like he whined a lot >Noah - Like what most people said...I forget he exists most of the time.

Neither

I really like that he is so curious about this Welsh King. He also seems to be the reason the other Raven boys hang out with each other. It's funny when he overthinks how to talk to Adam.

I like that her style is easy to read. Sometimes I think she tells more than shows, but maybe she was just introducing characters and backgrounds and will explain more later. I feel disconnected from the characters a bit right now!

Heather (minamichan) | 1 comments Can't copy/paste on the app so just my answers lol

1. I'd rather have psychic abilities like Maura. I've always been interested in fortune telling, seances and stuff like that.

2. My favourite so far is Adam. He seems quite sensitive and shy at the moment and I like that kind of guy. Ronan seems a bit of an arsehole but there's obviously backstory there that'll no doubt be explored as the book progresses. Noah just isn't mentioned enough to form an opinion and Gansey seems ok. I don't have any particular feeling for him right now.

3. Neither at the moment

4. He seems very caring towards his friends and oblivious to his wealth/status. Don't really know what else to say haha

5. I really like Maggie's writing style. I've enjoyed all her other books that I've read so far. I find her really easy to read.

message 21: by Metric (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Metric (metric91) 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?

Honestly neither, but if I have to choose I'd rather just be an amplifier.

Gansey - aloof, not that self-aware at times, cares about his friends, obsessive tendencies
Adam - hard-working, insecure, genuine
Ronan - frustrated, aggressive
Noah - can't say honestly, everytime he showed up I was like "Oh yeah, you exist" lol

I like Adam the most so far.

Can't say yet tbh.

See question 2. I also think he doesn't always realise that he has a lot more money than most people and comes off as a snob because of it. I'm sure he means well but his interactions with people seem a bit clumsy.

I do, but sometimes I feel that some sentences are a bit overwritten. I also find it very hard to follow what she is actually talking about sometimes. I read a paragraph and then something else happens and I'm just like ????? I'm sure it's intentional and she is withholding pieces of information on purpose because the reader is meant to piece everything together at some point, but it makes everything a bit confusing at times.

message 22: by Misa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misa Niranon (YuutaKaoru) | 8 comments 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?
I would honestly like to be an amplifier. YAY! I'm useful! Or aww... I'm too useful. HAHA. I'm too lazy to learn psychic stuff.

Gansey -- "omggg. what a cutie. HAHA. he's rich and doesn't seem to know how to treat poor people. HAHA"
Noah -- "Who? ohhhh."
Adam -- "same, fam. it's okay. we all poor."
Ronan -- "AWH, YEAH. HIT HIM AGAIN. HAHA"

Yeah. Adam, I feel, relates to me the most but I was hyped up everytime Ronan came to the screen.

Declan's alright. I don't hate him but I don't love him as much as I do Ronan.

Answer #2

I like her writing style, alright, but I didn't overly love it. I've stated before that I had a hard time getting into the story until the characters started to talk to one another. I feel like the dialogue really saved it for me. Like some of the people before me, I would get lost if I wasn't overly paying attention.

Amairo | 2 comments I've went further, because I wasn't able to stop myself, but I'm gonna limit the answer for the chapters we're reading this week.

Well, I kind of a prefer to be amplifier like Blue. Having the psychic abilities looks scarier.

Gansey - rich boy, who don't know how to act with his money, not realizing their impact. But somehow cute and tempting.
Adam - sweet. I just don't have another word for him.
Ronan - mysterious.
Noah - don't get him.

Team Ronan.

Ehm, look at answer 2.

Well, I already read Shiver trilogy, so I already like her style, but it's my first time reading her book in English (I originally read Shiver translated in my language) and it's okay. Pretty much understandable for non-native reader.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Lyn | 5 comments Here are my answers: (I can't copy and paste from the app. LOL.)

1. I would much rather have Maura's psychic abilities, but then again it must get overwhelming because people depend on you to have the answers they seek. So I would also like to have some of Blue's ability.

2. Gansey - Hm. He is passionate and driven.
Adam - OMG he is adorable and cute, and I want to give him a hug!
Ronan - He is bad ass but has some internal things, and I cannot wait to see where his story takes him.
Noah - Like most of you said, I forget he is there. 😂

3. Neither. I want to get to know them better.

4. See number 2.

5. Her writing style is very descriptive, so sometimes it dragged on. But I am getting used to it.

Damaris M (manyfandoms4one) | 7 comments 1. Would you rather have Maura's psychic abilities, or be an amplifier like Blue?
I would rethar be like blue.
Gansey: seem kind of rich kid snobbish but it like he doesnt notice it.
Adam: shy, quiet and a bit reliable. He's kinda cute.
Ronan: Badass in an excelent way. He seems to have that to cover spmething.
Noah: who? kidding! He's just very easy to forget about and nt really mentioned as much
Team Ronan
Gansey seems like a nice guy who is used to being rich he forgets not everyone is. Or as intelligent. Yet he also has this spark to him and his dedication to his quest.
This is actually my second time and I have got to say I enjoy this alot more than her Shiver trilogy.