Silver Screen Book Club discussion

Books and adaptations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Cavanagh (bunnycavanagh) | 3 comments Has anyone seen a film where they prefer the film to the book? Usually for me its the book I prefer, but because I enjoyed the TV series of ' big little lies' it got me thinking. One that sprang to mind was 'Gone with the Wind' I much prefer the film.

message 2: by Samantha (last edited May 23, 2017 07:08AM) (new)

Samantha Glasser | 416 comments Mod
I LOVE to read the book after I've seen the movie. I find that that way, you're rarely disappointed. It is inevitable that when something is adapted to the screen, things will be cut, but if you read the book after seeing the film, it is like getting the deleted scenes.

I prefer the book
Gone With the Wind
Claudia
The Big Sleep
King Solomon's Mines
A Princess of Mars AKA John Carter
The Martian

I prefer the movie
All Quiet on the Western Front
Grand Hotel (although the book is really good)
Sanctuary AKA The Story of Temple Drake
The Last Unicorn
Skipping Christmas AKA Christmas With the Kranks
Never Let Me Go

message 3: by Cami (last edited May 25, 2017 05:21AM) (new)

Cami  | 44 comments I agree with The Martian, I preferred the book as well. The only ones that come to mind for me where I preferred the movie adaptations are: The Princess Bride and Stardust. Aside from those two, I almost always prefer the book!

message 4: by Creolecat (last edited May 24, 2017 02:53PM) (new)

Creolecat I usually prefer the book too, but what comes to mind for me where the film is way better than the book is The Graduate. And I agree the film The Story of Temple Drake is better than the book; the book was rough.

message 5: by MissLemon (last edited May 24, 2017 03:34PM) (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 7 comments Cami wrote: "I agree with The Martian, I preferred the book as well. The only ones that comes to mind for me where I preferred the movie adaptations are: The Princess Bride and Stardust. Aside from those two, I..."

I've recently read the The Princess Bride and I agree, I was so disappointed!
Otherwise I can't remember liking a film more than its book, but quite often they are equally good, even when different. I do get a bit annoyed about unnecessary changes ( like changing the motive or even 'who dunnit' in crime movies) I was disappointed that Big Little Lies had moved from Australia, but it didn't effect my enjoyment.

message 6: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Prefer the film to the book :
Gone with the Wind
Kramer vs. Kramer
The Bridges of Madison County (the book is good too).
A Passage to India,magnificent film.
Will think of more later.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I also prefer the film versions of The Princess Bride (but still love the book), Stardust like some of you, but would add The Cider House Rules, Ella Enchanted, and Shrek!.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 12 comments I agree with Gone With The Wind. I've never read or seen The Big Sleep, same with The Martian. Gotta do that!

I prefer the movie Room With A View vs the book. With Howard's End it is a tie.

One of the movies am curious how it's going to turn out is Woman In The Window. It would be a hard one to adapt. It has a Rear Window theme. Love the Director! He directed one of my favs Pride and Prejudice 2005, the recent Churchill film and some others. His movies are visually fantastic!