Forgotten YA Gems discussion

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Raven Boys
Previous BOTMs > The Raven Boys 4/4

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by destiny ♡⚔♡ (last edited Jun 22, 2017 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) This thread will be for discussing chapters 37-46. If you're unsure of where your spoiler falls in the book, please double-check your chapter number before posting!

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK'S READING:

1. Adam and Gansey had a pretty bad fight when Gansey picked him up from the hospital. If you had to pick sides, whose side would you pick in their argument?

2. Were you surprised to find out Neeve was further involved than she had previously let on?

3. Where do you think Neeve went when she disappeared?

4. "Grave robbing" is generally considered a pretty foul crime. Do you think it was acceptable, what Blue and the boys did by digging Noah up and moving him?

5. Ronan left us with a really intriguing confession. What do you think he meant by it?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Would anyone be interested in continuing the series together if I create an unofficial buddy read thread for the second book?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Lyn | 5 comments I finished it, and I cannot wait to discuss it!!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) Same here! I finished it yesterday morning and already have ordered the second book. 😂 I'm gonna try to get discussion questions up in a little bit!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) Discussion questions are up!

Savannah (the_book_prophet) | 2 comments (Disclaimer, I've already read this entire series but wanted to participate in the discussion anyway so I'm just answering these questions as I would've after reading the first book)
1. That's really difficult because they both have pros and cons in their argument and their reasoning. Adam is my favorite so I'm biased there.
2. I actually was! Though I should've been able to guess it before haha
4. I think it was acceptable, I mean they were just trying to protect their friend.
5. Exactly what he said *wink wink*

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) 1. Adam and Gansey had a pretty bad fight when Gansey picked him up from the hospital. If you had to pick sides, whose side would you pick in their argument?
This one was tough for me to pick a side on, honestly. On the one hand, I'm like Adam in that I tend to be a very independent person who hates to feel indebted to anyone. On the other hand, I love Gansey and I feel like his motives were pure. Ultimately, I felt like Adam was projecting a little with the whole "you just want all of your belongings in one place" remark, and I thought it was unnecessarily hurtful, so I'd have to take Gansey's side.

2. Were you surprised to find out Neeve was further involved than she had previously let on?
I had a very strong suspicion that something weird was going on with her, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I guess I was surprised to find out she'd been talking to Whelk, but I wasn't surprised that she was involved in the first place.

I honestly have no clue. If I was reading it correctly, I think she disappeared because her mirrors were moved out of line? Which makes me wonder if she was ever really "there" to begin with, or if her soul is somewhere else because of the mirrors? Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but the whole Neeve situation confuses me a lot, lol.

4. "Grave robbing" is generally considered a pretty foul crime. Do you think it was acceptable, what Blue and the boys did by digging Noah up and moving him?
Definitely! They just wanted Noah to get a chance to stick around in the world of the living, and they knew he wanted to be there with them. This was the only way they could make that happen. I teared up a little! <3

5. Ronan left us with a really intriguing confession. What do you think he meant by it?
Given the title of the second book, I'm just going to assume he meant it literally, which makes me shudder a little, lmao.

Fefe | 19 comments 1. Adam and Gansey had a pretty bad fight when Gansey picked him up from the hospital. If you had to pick sides, whose side would you pick in their argument?
Both had pretty decent arguments, but at the time that I was reading I picked Adam because I related to him a lot in the sense of wanting to do things by yourself to show that what you are capable of.

I don't know, I knew something wasn't right with her but I didn't thought she had been with Whelk's side.

No idea. I guess a supernatural realm of some sort.

I think so. Noah never showed desire to move on and that he was tired of being a ghost. It was a really touching scene, and I loved when they all got together in the end.

Considering the name of the second book and that Ronan is supposed to be on the cover, I think he meant it literally.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Would anyone be interested in continuing the series together if I create an unofficial buddy read thread for the second book?
I honestly already read the second book and I'm currently reading the third because I was so intrigued to found out all the answers and because of the characters. But if there was a discussion topic about it even for people who have already read, I would love to join and discuss! (without obviously spoiling what happens in the book and in the upcoming ones)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) @Fefe- yes it would also be for people who have already read! Like you said, just no spoilers for the third and fourth books. Great answers and thanks for the input! 😃

Melanie (TBR and Beyond) (tbrandbeyond) 1. Adam and Gansey had a pretty bad fight when Gansey picked him up from the hospital. If you had to pick sides, whose side would you pick in their argument?

My answer might not be as popular but Gansey. I get tired of the independent make brooding type. Now Adam doesn't get on my nerves too badly with it but I do find myself sighing from time to time. I totally knew where Adam was coming from and tbh, not really sure there was a right answer.

No, I'm surprised it wasn't even worse than what we saw lol Shes one shady person lol

I honestly don't even have a guess. Curious where her storyline is going though.

Yeah, it was done for protection of Noah so I wouldn't call it desecration. I'd be mad if they hadn't done it.

I burst out laughing, not gonna lie. All this crazy stuff had just happened and to top it off Ronan let that little tidbit he had forgotten to mention out lol Great last line, loved it. I don't know what it means though. I guess they will likely be messing around in the dream world though. I'm completely up for it.

Melanie (TBR and Beyond) (tbrandbeyond) Fantastic book!

Duskangelreads | 12 comments I just finished listening to the Audiobook. I won't answer all the questions as I have already read the entire series, so questions like 2, 3 & 5 I already know the answers for and don't want to spoil anyone!

1. Adam and Gansey had a pretty bad fight when Gansey picked him up from the hospital. If you had to pick sides, whose side would you pick in their argument?

In this first book Adam kinda gets on my nerves a lot with his determined independence and yes, even though Gansey did want him to move away from an abusive father, he didn't want it like that. Adam accusing Gansey of that being what he wanted was a bit petty on his part and he should have known Gansey better than to think that he would want him harmed! So for this I am on Gansey's side. I get the independance thing but he shouldn't of had a go at Gansey for offering him a place to live after everything that had just happened.
At the same time I think Gansey could have given the offer of letting Adam pay board for living there. I don't recall that being bought up in any of the books and Adam might not have been as reluctant if he was able to still be paying his way.

Yes Grave Robbing is a really disgusting thing to do but in this case I don't think it was wrong. Noah is part of the Ley line as he died as part of a ritual involving it and his body should have remained on the line. So the boys and Blue returning his body to apart of the line I think was an alright thing to do and it also allowed Noah to stay with them in a spirit rather than fading into nothing which is what would have occurred if his body had stayed buried that far away from the line.

I also do want to make a comment about that last question.

The name of the second book completely gives away the general idea of what Ronan's last words in this book means. That was something I remember that really annoyed me when I first read this book and then say the name of the second!

And I would also be okay with joining further discussions about the next books! I intend to continue listening to the audiobooks of the rest of the series anyway, so continuing a buddy read would be cool with me. I would definitely join further discussion about the next books!

Damaris M (manyfandoms4one) | 7 comments 1. Adam and Gansey had a pretty bad fight when Gansey picked him up from the hospital. If you had to pick sides, whose side would you pick in their argument?
oh no I hate this question. I feel like both boys have their hearts in the right place. Its like my brother wanting to pay for something I want eventhough Ive worked to buy it myself. But my brothe rknows what it means to me. So in this case I guess neither. I feel a big lack of communication here.

Heck No! If any of thought she wasn't shady then you might have to go back and reread.
I have no clue. Maybe to do another of her creepy other world dearching.
I.......am ok with this. Sure its illegale but Noah was originally on the Ley line. Regrdless of how he died. I also feel like he would have still remained with the boys and without being on the line he wouldn't be the Noah we love.
I have no clue. Yet I feel like this is going to be something big.
YESSS!!! Is this even a question this book was amazing and I need the next one. I would love to buddy read with everyone who is willing.