Polls for Christian Writers discussion

Weird Things Writers Google

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 22, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

Weird, or at least interesting, Google searches are a part of any writer's life. Share yours!
I've looked up:
-at least one form of abuse/torture...
-Vietnamese mythology...
-greyscale colorblindness...
-"will the Internet ever shut down?" (This wasn't actually for research, I was just curious one day--but it inspired a new idea!).
-For my fanfiction---a character who appears in a grand total of four epsiodes of a series I like. Just four.
-Basque region
-"what is a nuclear winter?"
-obscure fairy tales
-the myth of Hephaestus
-when was the polio vaccine invented?
-most popular names of the eighties (I also did a fifties name search once)
So, I guess you could say I'm the stereotypical suspicious-seeming Internet user who's actually just a writer. :p

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's not even going into all the weird research questions I asked my family.

❄Elsa Frost❄ (elsafrost) | 7 comments I've googled tons of odd stuff. I one time googled virgin births and even planned to do a speech on it. I, too, have also googled abuse/torture, mostly to understand it better as it applies to me and some of my writings.

Those are just a couple of the odd things I have googled in the past. I'm still trying to think of what would constitute as "odd" here, because I'm an odd person in general and--therefore--have a hard time defining what odd is. :P I'll try to add here as I think of more odd things I've googled.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited May 22, 2017 04:56PM) (new)

I yahoo searched:
Marvel movies (Mainly Avengers movies and Thor movies)
Abandoned places (All types, including hospitals)
Forests
Mountains
Vintage/Antique things
Skillet
Red (it's a band name)
Newsboys
Crimson Peak (horror movie)

message 5: by A.L. (last edited May 22, 2017 03:44PM) (new)

A.L. Buehrer The other day I was on Youtube watching compilations of drone-crash footage and videos of nighttime skeet-shooting.

message 6: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 23 comments I'm searched so many odd things I can't even name them all. Moving injured people, swordfighting, realistic gun use, bullet wounds and key puncture/survival areas, likelihood of survival in those areas, path of a bullet once it enters a body, how to clean wounds, likeability of MCs, analyzing character relationships, pretty much everything. But lots of morbid things.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg D. Gonzalez (megdgonzalez) | 2 comments How to knife someone without doing serious damage... I needed my MC to charge on after all ;)

message 8: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 2 comments I searched Arabic castles the other day...

message 9: by Bethany (last edited May 23, 2017 08:34AM) (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) I've been know to google things like the three pharaohs who had the pyramids of Giza built, along with their family history; true accounts of freak-accident survivors; ranks of British policemen; in depth articles on the Loch Ness Monster; Robin Hood's grave; convents and monasteries; bows and arrows; Queen Victoria; Hong Kong during WWII; what tree species are native to China; how to split diamonds; different kinds of bullet wounds; and various dinosaur legends to name just a few!

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Paquet | 4 comments too many to name...

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 10 comments Mod
Daisy wrote: "too many to name..."

I agree! :D

message 12: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 23 comments Layouts of German castles

message 13: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 1 comments A few weeks ago I googled "how to hack government documents" and "how long does it take for a wound to bleed out"... 🙄

message 14: by R.E. (new)

R.E. Banks | 23 comments I just KNOW the government's watching you now. ;D I keep looking up all these keyword things about guns and other suspicious things that Big Brother's sure to notice.

message 15: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Yesterday I researched the sinister meanings behind certain nursery rhymes, as well as whether the British government killed Princess Diana or not. Also if horses were used in WW2; not to mention true stories of freak accidents! ;D

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Bethany wrote: "Yesterday I researched the sinister meanings behind certain nursery rhymes, as well as whether the British government killed Princess Diana or not. Also if horses were used in WW2; not to mention t..."

Eeek. Sinister nursery rhymes...wow :D

message 17: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Olivia wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Yesterday I researched the sinister meanings behind certain nursery rhymes, as well as whether the British government killed Princess Diana or not. Also if horses were used in WW2; ..."

:D You'd be surprised at how many there are!

message 18: by Olivia (new)

Bethany wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Yesterday I researched the sinister meanings behind certain nursery rhymes, as well as whether the British government killed Princess Diana or not. Also if horses wer..."

*laughs* We learn new things every day ;)

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria Tag | 4 comments My plotlines, characters, fictional worlds..........
To make sure someone hasn't already taken my ideas.
I'm kinda paranoid since a few chapters into a book I was browsing Goodreads and found that a popular book series shared the same plot as the book I was writing at the time.

message 20: by Zachary (new)

Zachary McIntire | 1 comments Bethany wrote: "Yesterday I researched the sinister meanings behind certain nursery rhymes, as well as whether the British government killed Princess Diana or not. Also if horses were used in WW2; not to mention t..."

What did you conclude about horses in WW2?

message 21: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Paquet | 4 comments "Top speed of field mouse"

....don't ask.

message 22: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) Zachary wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Yesterday I researched the sinister meanings behind certain nursery rhymes, as well as whether the British government killed Princess Diana or not. Also if horses were used in WW2; ..."

Sorry, I didn't even see this until now! XD I finally discovered that horses were used a lot on the part of the Axis powers, in both wars, and that while the Allies used them as well during WW1, only America used them at all in WW2, and not often at that. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Update: I’m about to Google “How do fire extinguishers work?”
My main character in The Flame Will Fade can summon fire, but he has no control as of chapter one, and his family is going to try and “put him out”. Which only results in his going unconscious...

Also, I’ve googled a ton of more realistic stuff for Green Gardens! From “how to tell when beets are ripe” to “Bible verses about wisdom”. :D

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Recent Google searches:
"What is a townhouse?" (I'd heard the term before, but I wasn't sure if a place in my book counted).
"Polynesian last names"

So, not too weird, I guess xD

message 25: by jenn (new)

jenn (perilouspages) Things to post on a lifestyle blog
teen girl with brown hair and freckles
things to blog about

message 26: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Cunningham | 3 comments Recent:
How fast does a gun would bleed?
What does blood smell like?

message 27: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 82 comments I searched for high school basketball Delaware state tournaments--and found them, for multiple years! (My newest WIP is all about that, so I figured I should know what I'm talking about :P)