What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Novel about Girl living in India or African British Colony, Title Might Begin "The Year..."

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 1 comments I'm looking for a book that I read as a child, but that was way too explicit to be a children's book. I bought it at Barnes and Noble in 2006 or so. I believe that the cover was beige/light brown, maybe with birds on it? The title began with "the year..." and may have had the word Africa in it.
The protagonist was a little girl. I remember a few scenes very vividly: The protagonist catches her mother cheating on her father during a dinner party. The author uses the phrase: "her hands weren't big enough to hide her nakedness". The protagonist's sister, who has orange hair, is raped (or understood to have been raped, it might not have been described). She drowns herself by walking into a swamp/swampy body of water. At some point, a boy in the country they are living in unravel's the cocoon of a silkworm the protagonist kept as a pet.
I appreciate any help you can give me! Books it is not: Drowning Ruth Atonement The Bean Trees The Year of Living Dangerously The Poisonwood Bible

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments This should be in the Unsolved folder.

message 3: by Ayshe (last edited May 23, 2017 12:55AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4121 comments The Year the Gypsies Came?
She looks at me, her hands not large enough to cover her nakedness, her fingers searching, like she's reading Braille, for her Greek goddess sheet that lies discarded at her feet

https://books.google.com/books?id=JA_...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Claudia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?