Reading Envy Readers discussion

15 views
Readalong: East of Eden > East of Eden Week 5: Chapters 33-44

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 877 comments Mod
If you are on schedule, this is the week of June 4 - 400-500 (chapters 33-44)


message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 22 comments The interlude of Chapter 34 is amazing!


message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 165 comments Amy wrote: "The interlude of Chapter 34 is amazing!" Yes, it was a surprise when he slipped in to first person and got philosophical.

There is so much goodness in this section. I liked the parts about Adam's and, later, Cal's business dealings with Will Hamilton. Adam's mastodon tale leads to his ill-fated lettuce shipping idea, and Cal with his war-time bean investment.

It was sad peering in to Cal in Chapter 38, you could feel that something was building up in him which may eventually boil over. The meeting with his mother was satisfying, she was knocked off balance by him. He seemed to be a bit like her.


message 4: by Carol Ann (new)

Carol Ann (carolann1428) | 47 comments I am so bummed .... I've fallen so far behind in reading that I've decided to stop beating myself up about it and set this book aside for a later date. I'm still disappointed because I really wanted to take part in this read along. All the same, I appreciate getting to read what you all are discussing and am looking forward to experiencing it for myself when I can fit it in!


Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 877 comments Mod
Carol Ann wrote: "I am so bummed .... I've fallen so far behind in reading that I've decided to stop beating myself up about it and set this book aside for a later date. I'm still disappointed because I really wante..."

Carol Ann, I have some catching up to do myself! I just got back to Oregon tonight... But the timing is not always right.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm behind, too, but this portion of the reading sucked me right in! There is something enduring in his characterization. Though I can never predict what anyone in particular will do or say next, every action and response seems natural.

Jeff, I see what you mean about something boiling up in Cal. I do think/hope that there will be some redemption of the other Cal-esque characters (Cathy/Kate & Charles) through him.

I am a bit nervous about what will happen around Aron, though.

There are so very many uniquely flawed characters and I'm finding it fascinating. There's a lot to think about!


Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 877 comments Mod
If you haven't read chapter 39 yet, today's the day to do it, as Adam confronts his abilities as a father and connects with one of his sons. Very moving! At least it starts that way... I ran off to post before I finished. ;)


message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 55 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "If you haven't read chapter 39 yet, today's the day to do it, as Adam confronts his abilities as a father and connects with one of his sons. Very moving! At least it starts that way... I ran off to..."
I knew when i read 'I trust you Cal' things could not go well.
Things seemed to be moving in a circle as at this point it all mirrors Charles, Adam ,and Cyrus.


message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 165 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "If you haven't read chapter 39 yet, today's the day to do it, as Adam confronts his abilities as a father and connects with one of his sons. Very moving! At least it starts that way... I ran off to..." Yes! Hopefully you've made it to Cal's slip of the lip by now in that chapter. I think that conversation may have emboldened Cal to do what he did later in the chapter, which was one of the most interesting parts of this section, I thought.


Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 877 comments Mod
Jeff wrote: "Yes! Hopefully you've made it to Cal's slip of the lip by now in that chapter. I think that conversation may have emboldened Cal to do what he did later in the chapter, which was one of the most interesting parts of this section, I thought. ."
Absolutely. I also really loved Mr. Lee in this section. Sometimes he feels like the mother to those boys.


back to top