CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2017 Weekly Threads > Week 21- What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 693 comments Mod
In 2010, the Google algorithm calculated that there are 129,864,880 unique books in the world. Of course, in seven years, that number has probably increased quite a bit. Maybe one day Google will redo the calculations.

A raven wasn't Poe's first choice to utter the famous line, "Nevermore." He changed his mind when he thought about the tone of the poem. Do you know which bird he was originally going to go with? Take a guess here.

As an FYI... the Central Library will be closed all this week and will reopen May 30th. We are getting new carpet so expect a bit of a new look the next time you drop by.

All library branches will be closed May 28th and May 29th for the Memorial Day holiday.

Ah, a three day weekend. I can see it on my horizon and I am eagerly anticipating the amount of reading I will be getting done. Because we all know I have piles of books in my room. Piles. What books are you hoping to finish this week/over the coming weekend? I'm currently working on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Star Wars: Guardians of the Whills. I also think I will tackle The Wasp That Brainwashed the Caterpillar (because zombie-ism and mind control is real; you just find it in the animal world), Shadow Run, and Black Widow: Forever Red.

What are your reads?

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Star Wars Guardians of the Whills by Greg Rucka The Wasp That Brainwashed the Caterpillar Evolution's Most Unbelievable Solutions to Life's Biggest Problems by Matt Simon Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1) by AdriAnne Strickland Black Widow Forever Red (Black Widow, #1) by Margaret Stohl

message 2: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited May 22, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I am so glad they are replacing that carpet. The smell walking into the library at times was gross. It is such a beautiful library so putting in something in the foyer is a great idea. Interestingly, I just got a notice that a book I requested is ready for pickup. Can't really pick it up if the library is closed!

This week, I am reading The Indigo Girl, The Lady Elizabeth, and Saints for All Occasions which is a new book from CPL.
I might also get to Into the Water and Since We Fell both of which I have gotten from CPL. (new books as well!)

With the next few days looking quite dismal weather wise, I am sure that reading will be the number one thing for me to do. Happy Reading!

The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan Into the Water by Paula Hawkins Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 443 comments I haven't done much reading this week, and am still reading both books so I have not finished either. I've been busy clearing out my guest room, so I can have guests. I have a feeling I will also be weeding my library. Maybe we could have a book swap? Need any paperbacks? :)
I am looking forward to a weekend of rain and reading (and looking at furniture). I have the next two books by Lauren Willig checked out, so I'll probably read those when I finish the ones I'm working on.
Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon A Mystery at Carlton House (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #12) by Ashley Gardner The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation, #8) by Lauren Willig The Garden Intrigue (Pink Carnation, #9) by Lauren Willig

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Marialyce wrote: "I am so glad they are replacing that carpet. The smell walking into the library at times was gross. It is such a beautiful library so putting in something in the foyer is a great idea. Interestingl..."

Unfortunately, with the Automated Machine, they can't catch all the holds before they get scanned. You'll most likely get a call from someone, letting you know that the hold will be available starting May 30th. :)

I understand. I am super excited for the new carpet. Don't know if it will fix the smell (some of that is from the walls), but it should hopefully be better.

Let me know how Into the Water is! I read Girl on the Train and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't impressed. I'm wondering if her new book is worth reading.

Ann wrote: "I haven't done much reading this week, and am still reading both books so I have not finished either. I've been busy clearing out my guest room, so I can have guests. I have a feeling I will also b..."

Have fun clearing out your guest room! It's always nice getting things spick and span.

A book swap is a fun idea! Though, I'm rather attached to all my literary children. But it would definitely be a fun thing to do. Now how to do it? Hm...

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Joanna wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "I am so glad they are replacing that carpet. The smell walking into the library at times was gross. It is such a beautiful library so putting in something in the foyer is a great ..."

Thanks, Joanna, they did call me. I will let you know about Into the Water. I also, was not thrilled with The Girl on the Train, but will give the author another try.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Joanna wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "I am so glad they are replacing that carpet. The smell walking into the library at times was gross. It is such a beautiful library so putting in something in the foyer is a great ..."

Just finished Into the Water and was not a fan..
My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Marialyce wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "I am so glad they are replacing that carpet. The smell walking into the library at times was gross. It is such a beautiful library so putting in something in the fo..."

Thanks for the link to your review! I'm sorry it was so convoluted. I think I'm going to take it off my list of books I'd like to read eventually; life's too short!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Joanna wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "I am so glad they are replacing that carpet. The smell walking into the library at times was gross. It is such a beautiful library so putting in s..."

Absolutely! There are so many good ones to read for sure.

message 9: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I am reading Foxlowe & it has sucked me in!