You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > June toppler...Clue!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 271 (271 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2017 06:05AM) (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This month's toppler will be held from noon EST on Saturday, June 3, until noon EST on Saturday, June 10. Countdown to start of toppler

We will be playing Clue!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Miss Scarlet - cover is mostly red or has the word “red” in the title
Prof. Plum - cover is mostly purple or has the word “purple” in the title
Mrs. Peacock - cover is mostly blue or has the word “blue" in the title
Mr. Green - cover is mostly green or has the word “green” in the title
Col. Mustard - cover is mostly yellow or has the word “yellow” in the title
Mrs. White - cover is mostly white or has the word “white” in the title

* A cover that is mostly a color is about 75%. You can check your covers at TinEye Labs, if you're not sure. Just save a copy of the book cover to your desktop, then upload it to the site and it will tell you how much of each color is in the cover. You may need to add up different shades of the same color. Make sure to uncheck "Exclude background color from extracted colors" at the bottom. The default is to exclude the background color.

* Having the color in the title does not include subtitles or series title

Candlestick - There is a sun or fire on the cover or a fire plays a significant part in the story.
Dagger / Knife - MC works in the restaurant business. Owner, server, chef…
Lead pipe - MC is is a plumber or is doing house repairs. This can include refurbishing an old home for new use and does not need to be done by a professional.
Revolver - MC carries a gun. He/she could live in the old west, be a police officer, or be a criminal. It doesn’t matter as long as it is mentioned that they carry a gun. It can not be a one time used a gun, but rather this has to be their own weapon.
Rope - MC does rock climbing or tightrope walking. Or the story is set in/around a circus. The circus should be a main component of the story.
Wrench - MC is a handyman, mechanic, or repairman of some sort.

Kitchen - MC cooks a meal and food is described, not in a restaurant setting, or recipes are included in the book.
Ballroom - MC goes to a ball or dance or there is a fancy ballgown on the cover
Conservatory - MC is a gardener or there is a flower or flowers on the cover
Dining Room - Read a book about family coming together.
Billiard Room - MC plays billiards or goes to a pub, or another sport is a main component of the book.
Library - MC loves to read or a book about books or set in a library.
Lounge - MC is an actor / actress or plays music, sings, or performs poetry.
Hall - A book with a castle or great hall or set in medieval times.
Study - Book about a studious MC or set at a school or university.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2017 12:51PM) (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 175 pages.
4. Each task may be completed multiple times by any team member and any book may be read by multiple team members. But, each book read can only be used to fill one task.

Toppler books can count toward the monthly challenge, the group theme read, and/or the yearly challenge, if they qualify.

Scoring:
Scoring will be adjusted for longer books. You will get more points for longer books, but remember you want to complete as many tasks as possible too. Your team will have to decide on your strategy.

Books 175-399 pages = 5 points
400-649 pages = 10 points
650+ pages = 20 points

Teams should work together to complete sections. If your team completes an entire section (suspects, weapons, or rooms), you're team will receive a bonus 20 points. Bonus points will be awarded each time a section is completed. So, if your team reads through each of the tasks for weapons, for example, 4 times, then you will receive 80 bonus points.

In addition, if you complete all of the tasks for all three sections, you will receive a one time 40 point bonus! This is in addition to the points you will receive for each section.

So...here's your example:

We complete all of the weapons tasks and receive 20 points.

Then, we complete all of the suspects tasks and receive another 20 points.

We complete all of the weapons tasks again...20 more points.

We complete all of the rooms tasks, another 20 points. Plus, we have now completed all of the tasks for all three sections, so we get a bonus 40 points!

As you can see, working together will help your team a lot!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2017 07:24PM) (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Teams

Team 1
Rusalka
Tejas Janet
Jenn
Carol
jaxnsmom
Annerlee
Almeta
KimeyDiann

Team 2
Sarah
Sam
Laura
Amanda
Annette
Marie
Lanelle
Jannene
Janice

Team 3
Kristie
Lori Z
Mariab
Delitealex
Anne (Book Lady)
Poongothai
Lynn
Travis
Connie (Ava Catherine)

Team 4
Peggy
Casceil
Pragya
Sam F
Debra
Esther
Lisa
Cathie
TrudyAnn

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments res

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments This is going to be fun. Potentially tricky to gopher for. But fun. :-)

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Maybe I should add a book suggestions thread...?

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Kristie wrote: "Maybe I should add a book suggestions thread...?"

That potentially helps out the opposition though ;-) I reckon team mates will be able to help out.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments True! lol

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments We can do some preliminary gophering but nothing definitive until we are allocated to our teams. More points for longer books could change people's tactics this time around. I'm interested to see how it plays out. And the old faithful spreadsheets will have a use with this toppler! I'm excited. Can you tell?

message 10: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Ooh! Fun!

I really expected this to be a teaser/clue about what the toppler was going to be about when I read the title. Anyone else? lol

message 11: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1646 comments This is a fantastic theme, Kristie! Clue was a favourite game growing up, later, I later played it with my kids, and now i play it with my grandchildren,

message 12: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Great toppler Kristie!! :-)

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Love it! You've done great, Kristie! Now, we need to get our teams together. Off to gopher!

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Sarah - Glad you like it! I think I'm going to gopher for a bunch of the tasks, as many as I can. That way when we get in groups I'll have a few ideas and different choices I can go with.

Kimey - So funny! I thought of that when I posted the title of the thread. It sounded like it was a clue to the toppler.

Trudyan - I haven't played it in many years. I used to love it as a kid. I may have to play again soon.

Cathie & Debra - Thank you!

message 15: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1827 comments Wow, this is great, Kristie! I'm going to start gophering ASAP so I have all my options ready for when we get our teams and can start to plan our strategy. So excited!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm really excited for this toppler!

message 17: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments I love the game of Clue. This is going to be fun.

Great Theme!

message 18: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments Clue is one of my son's favorite movies. We even quote lines from it.

This looks like so much fun, Kristie. Off to start gophering.

message 19: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments I knew it! Love Clue!!!

Wonderful toppler choice, Kristie :)

Have lots of books that will fit, especially the weapons sections. I enjoy my thrillers :)

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Kristie, you've presented a super toppler. It will be fun to gopher for this one. I loved playing Clue when I was younger.

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I love it! This sounds so much fun, and I love challenges based on board games. I always wanted it to be Mrs. Peacock in the library with a dagger :)

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments This sounds great Kristie! I'm looking forward to it!

Some books jumped right into my head when I read the tasks, but I need to gopher for some others to have as many options as possible.

message 23: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Oh my gosh, have to go sign up immediately!! I love Clue, and I always love a challenge or toppler that is based around this old, board game.

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I spent all evening gophering. I have quite a list now. It would seem I have multiple choices for red, white and guns. lol. I will definitely need to ask my teamies about a couple books to make sure they fit and I think I'll be making use of the kindle search function on a couple of them to help.

message 25: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments I did some gophering based on books I can also read for the year long challenge (I really need to read some books for that!) and found books for about 75% of the tasks. Even for some tasks that sounded a bit more difficult to gopher for.

Kristie, can one person read multiple books for the same task (two books for green cover for example)? And can members in a team read the same books? It's been a while since I participated in a team toppler.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2017 12:49AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I have a question about the flowers on the cover - does it have to be multiple flowers or can it be a single flower? It does say flowers in the task but just wanted to clarify.

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments I have a question for the dagger/knife task (MC works in the restaurant business). Do you mean only restaurants as places where you go in the evening for dinner, or also lunchrooms or places where you sit down in the morning or afternoon for coffee and something sweet?

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I love it! This sounds so much fun, and I love challenges based on board games. I always wanted it to be Mrs. Peacock in the library with a dagger :)"

Maybe you can read a book for each of those 3 tasks? :)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Peggy wrote: "Kristie, can one person read multiple books for the same task (two books for green cover for example)? And can members in a team read the same books? It's been a while since I participated in a team toppler."

I'm glad you found a lot of books that fit your yearly challenge as well! Yes, a person can read two separate books that fit a task and get points for both of them and multiple members can read the same book and get points as well. But, you can only get points for one task per book.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 23, 2017 06:04AM) (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Sarah wrote: "I have a question about the flowers on the cover - does it have to be multiple flowers or can it be a single flower? It does say flowers in the task but just wanted to clarify."

Yes, it can be one flower, as long as it is clear that it is a flower. Ill fix that above so it's clear.

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Peggy wrote: "I have a question for the dagger/knife task (MC works in the restaurant business). Do you mean only restaurants as places where you go in the evening for dinner, or also lunchrooms or places where ..."

As long as they serve food and you can sit at a table there to eat it it will count.

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Thanks Kristie.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15076 comments Thanks Kristie!

message 34: by Annerlee (last edited May 23, 2017 07:12AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Can one book count for multiple categories?

(You never know!!)

edit: No you can't - sorry I just saw the answer in message 29 and answered my own question!

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Nope. Sorry, Annerlee. One book can only be used for one task.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I spent a bit of time gophering last night. The cover ones were easy. As I was scrolling down my list, I came across:

The Danger by Dick Francis .

I thought, "That will be perfect for rope".... only to discover a completely different criteria. Hahaha! Back to the gophering.

message 37: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments I understand, Janice. I thought The Forgotten Garden should work for the Conservatory, but it doesn't, because it does not have any flowers on the cover. Also, it is 648 pages long (2 pages too short for the highest point category), and that would be just too maddening.

If you like fantasy/Seanan Maguire, the book I read for the cage match would work for rope. In Magic for Nothing, the MC is an acrobat/tightrope walker and much of the book is set around a circus.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Janice, you just gave an idea for another toppler. lol I'll add to my list of ideas and see if I can flesh it out. :)

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Casceil - I'd never heard of Magic for Nothing, but it has really great ratings. I have 3 GR friends that have read it and they all loved it.

message 40: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Janice wrote: ".....I thought, "That will be perfect for rope".... only to discover a completely different criteria. Hahaha! Back to the gophering. ....."

lol! I did the same thing for knife! A killer with a serrated knife won't fit!☻

message 41: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I'm looking forward to this toppler. Clue was one of my faves as a kid.

message 42: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments I love that the board is a Cluedo board. Which is what we call it here.

I always thought a Cluedo drinking game would be fun, but I haven't convinced anyone to try it. Every turn you have to accuse, and if you get it wrong you have to take a shot. Therefore as the game goes on, you are more likely to make wild accusations, and have to drink more is my theory.

Printed out the rules, and will gopher at home tonight!

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Casceil wrote: "If you like fantasy/Seanan Maguire, the book I read for the cage match would work for rope. In Magic for Nothing, the MC is an acrobat/tightrope walker and much of the book is set around a circus..."

I do like Seanan Maguire. Magic for Nothing is book 6 in a series. Can you read them out of order, or will something be lost? I have the 1st book on my wishlist.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Kristie wrote: "Janice, you just gave an idea for another toppler. lol I'll add to my list of ideas and see if I can flesh it out. :)"

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Glad I could be an inspiration? LOL!

message 45: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments Magic for Nothing is book 6 in a series. I have read the whole series, and I suspect reading them in order is probably better, but I think book 6 would still be enjoyable as a stand-alone. The series is about a family of cryptozoologists, the Price family, in which there are three adult children. The first two books are written from the point of view of the oldest sibling, Verity. The next two feature her brother, Alex, and book 5 goes back to Verity's point of view. Book 6 is the first book written from the viewpoint of the youngest, Antimony. I think Book 6 spells out enough of what you need to know about the background, but the whole series is good.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Thanks Casceil. It's worth considering for the toppler. I definitely want to read the series.

message 47: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2182 comments Rusalka wrote: "I love that the board is a Cluedo board. Which is what we call it here.

I always thought a Cluedo drinking game would be fun, but I haven't convinced anyone to try it. Every turn you have to accus..."

I'm so in!

message 48: by Almeta (last edited May 24, 2017 02:41AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments May as well just play quarter bounce!

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Rusalka wrote: "I love that the board is a Cluedo board. Which is what we call it here.

I always thought a Cluedo drinking game would be fun, but I haven't convinced anyone to try it. Every turn you have to accus..."

We call it Cluedo here. I remember when I was younger (in the 90s) there was a tv series for Cluedo as well although I can't remember much about it. A few Christmases back I remember playing Harry Potter Cluedo at my sister in laws. A drinking Cluedo could be good though. Messy, but good. What am I talking about. I'm never drinking again after the weekend. I'm still recovering.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13577 comments Glad you liked the Cluedo add. I was being inclusive. I didn't even know it existed until recently. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6