Play Book Tag discussion

Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1)
This topic is about Cold Welcome
Archive: Other Books > Cold Welcome by Elizabeth Moon - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4859 comments Elizabeth Moon is one of my comfort read authors, and I eagerly welcome a new series with familiar characters. While Ky Vatta is not the best of the space commander/planetary intrigue genre, it's entertaining enough, and getting better with character development. In this new book that is apparently the beginning of a new series, Ky is called home by the matriarch of the Vatta family. Expecting a much-disliked but inevitable hero's welcome, she is instead thrown into an assassination attempt on board the shuttle to the planet. Surviving the crash landing on the ocean, their small group must survive the cold of the coming winter and find shelter on an abandoned continent of the planet, without knowing if the saboteurs are still among them.

Fun stuff, a little Mary Sue/Gary Stu with the protagonists, but still enjoyable for me. I like the side characters too of Grace and Stella Vatta, as well as Rafe's sister Penny. I am hoping those characters will play a greater role in the books to come as I would like to get to know them better.

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments I have the first in the Vatta War series on my kindle. I am glad to hear that you like Moon, perhaps I will get to it sooner rather than later.

annapi | 4859 comments Cora wrote: "I have the first in the Vatta War series on my kindle. I am glad to hear that you like Moon, perhaps I will get to it sooner rather than later."

Moon is one of my favorite fantasy writers. Her sci-fi, though good too, is not quite as good as some others I like better. For the kick-ass female space military type, for example, Moon's other kick-ass female military space cadet, Herris Serrano, is better. Best of all so far for me, though, is Tanya Huff's Torin Kerr. Of Moon's work my favorite is still The Deed of Paksenarrion, which is classic fantasy. Moon's military experience comes through in her writing.

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments annapi wrote: "Cora wrote: "I have the first in the Vatta War series on my kindle. I am glad to hear that you like Moon, perhaps I will get to it sooner rather than later."

Moon is one of my favorite fantasy wri..."

Adding The Deed of Paksenarrion to my wishlist.

annapi | 4859 comments Cora wrote: "Adding The Deed of Paksenarrion to my wishlist."

I read this so long ago, in my teens in the Philippines, and have re-read this several times. I came across it in a used bookstore, and bought it on a whim based on the cover and back blurb, and that was what introduced me to Moon, who from then on became one of my favorite writers. Hope you like it! PM me if you need an ecopy.