Equaliterary Book Club discussion

Bookshelf Chatter > BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lotte (last edited Jun 15, 2017 04:17PM) (new)

Lotte Houghton | 13 comments Mod
If you've loved a book and want to recommend it to someone in our group - post it here.

The Secret History is one of the finest pieces of fiction writing that I have read and I recommend it to anyone who loves curling up with a paper leafed friend.

message 3: by Lotte (new)

If you enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale then I recommend:
-Never Let Me Go
-The Power
-The Gap of Time
-The Children of Men
-Fahrenheit 451

Books that are firmly rooted in the reality that we live in and can see but that wrench at the guts with their jumps into an imagined or dystopian society.

Would be interesting to hear about any novels by authors from around the world that have a similar effect.

message 4: by Janette (last edited Jul 03, 2017 12:27AM) (new)

Janette Houghton | 4 comments Read The Power for my other book club last month.
I found it stimulating and quite gripping. The violence in it is graphic and disturbing , so not quite my cuppa. However in terms of an alternate future it's interesting and challenging. Think Planet of the Apes crossed with the 'new' woman.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Sugar | 4 comments Mod
I am on the fence about the book - there is no doubt that the book is an interesting concept and deals will spark debate around gender, feminism, patriarchy and religion. However, I wasn't a fan of the style, it reminded me of a graphic novel, which are great but as Janette isnt my cup of tea. The characters came across as stereo typical and lacked depth.

message 6: by Janette (last edited Jul 14, 2017 01:15AM) (new)

Janette Houghton | 4 comments Yes Jo in agreement with you here. the characters were very simply defined and the narrative at times I felt dragged. It does not have the makings of a classic but does raise some challenging points. I was concerned with the concept that the servant will always mimic the master. This point of course is raised in Animal Farm. Would women follow the patriarchal model of power and authority?

message 7: by Lotte (new)

Jo, Janette, I'm struggling! I keep cheating on The Power with other books or reading a few pages and thereafter giving up on it for the day. I am still optimistic that it will take more of a hold on my brain the more that I read though.

I think that my main problem is that is difficult to jump into a narrative with such a high concept without a protagonist that is given enough space to properly communicate the world after the 'power' spreads and takes hold.

message 8: by Janette (last edited Jul 17, 2017 06:54AM) (new)

Janette Houghton | 4 comments The problem I think rests in the duel narrative and that the narrative being retold by an unreliable narrator based on unreliable facts. It's the misunderstood past being retold by a narrator who maybe perhaps the starting point of a counter culture movement.
It flags in many places I found. At times it doesn't seem to know where the plot is going

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika Raffle-Currie | 1 comments Have to admit I'm struggling to get in to The Power, but I'm not sure why! I keep picking up and reading a bit, but I'm more dipping in to it than actually reading. Like Lotte, I shall persevere!

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Sugar | 4 comments Mod
I agree with Lotte and Janette - the book has so much potential but just misses for me. I plot and concept is great but the characters just let it down for me.
I so wanted to love this book too!