Equaliterary Book Club discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Novels > The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lotte Houghton | 13 comments Mod
Any questions or observations about the book so far?

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Sugar | 4 comments Mod
Despite being over 30 years old this book is still relevant. I think that's it's scary brilliance. Although the book is based on historical
situations - parallels to the present can be easily drawn. For example, the emphasis of blaming rape victims - is still prevalent today. Ok we may not point fingers and repeat - your fault. But the recent high profile rape cases especially the one where the judge effectively blamed the victim because she was drunk - is in my opinion the same thing.

Lotte Houghton | 13 comments Mod
Jo wrote: "Despite being over 30 years old this book is still relevant. I think that's it's scary brilliance. Although the book is based on historical
situations - parallels to the present can be easily draw..."

I think that this one of the things which marks this novel’s nightmare vision of a future is that we can relate it to so many parallels in real, modern civilisation. I completely agree about the victim blaming connection, which is worrying.
Also, the way in which their names are redacted by the state is an extension of the way that vulnerable people often have their identities taken away from them and are reduced to a homogenised and dehumanised mass by the media etc. as is often done for survivors of abuse or the poor.