What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books about the life journey of a female protagonist?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Grech | 47 comments With romance on the side. A little bit of mystery and adventure would be bonus too. I also wish to read a story unlike other stories, unique and out of this world. Thank you.

message 2: by ``Laurie (last edited May 22, 2017 03:56PM) (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Fay by Larry Brown

Vida by Marge Piercy

Anya

are pretty unique I thought :D

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Are you looking for fiction, nonfiction, or both?

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4970 comments Princess Daisy. Some call it trashy...it's dated...but you may love it.

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4970 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you looking for fiction, nonfiction, or both?"

Whose real life has romance, adventure, and mystery?

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 850 comments Two books came to mind when reading the header: The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards & Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

message 7: by Nadine (last edited May 23, 2017 02:57AM) (new)

Nadine Grech | 47 comments Rosa wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you looking for fiction, nonfiction, or both?"

Whose real life has romance, adventure, and mystery?"

I prefer fiction over nonfiction. Thank you for the recommendations everyone! I'm probably looking for something like Memoirs of a Geisha, which I still haven't read but will do soon! I wish to read a story about the life of a female protagonist, where you laugh and cry with her and cheer for her all through the book, making you even feel inspired afterwards.

message 8: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Rosa wrote: "Whose real life has romance, adventure, and mystery?"

Mata Hari, for one.

message 10: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments Of coures Gone with the Wind qualifies too, except it isn't Scarlett's whole life. Shanghai Girls would fit.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 16: by Paxton (new)

Paxton | 43 comments Try The Japanese Lover by Isabelle Allende!

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 322 comments The Boy & His Ribbon by Pepper Winters. I loved this book. It is a dual POV, but follows the life of the girl from age 1 -18 and the boy from age 10. I found it very unique. First book in a duet

message 18: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 241 comments The first part of Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides covers the life story of the main character's grandmother. There is incest in the story, however.
Also,
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
which has flashbacks to the main character's childhood.
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Sabriel by Garth Nix (if I am remembering correctly.)

Why do we so often only get the full story of women in romance novels?

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments I’d add one of my favourite authors to this list, Kaye Atkinson, of Margaret’s Museum fame. Top of the list, Emotionally Weird, which I recommend all over these boards😄

message 20: by Meghan Rose (new)

Meghan Rose | 23 comments an out-of-this-world (fantasy) option: The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemison delivers the life journey a female protaganist. the first book is especially amazing

message 21: by Ashlan (new)

Ashlan (captured_bookish) | 15 comments Is you like YA fantasy I like “the throne of glass” series.
For historical fiction I like “outlander”
Good luck and happy reading

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen | 261 comments Moloka'i - life story of a girl with leprosy on the island of Moloka'i (Hawaii) during the early 1900s (historical fiction)

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Mirror in Darkness trilogy, starts with Company Parade.

message 24: by Karen (last edited Nov 13, 2019 06:00AM) (new)

Karen | 261 comments A Tree Grows in Brooklyn the life of a girl growing up in a poor neighborhood in Brooklyn during the early 1920s with a strong desire to better herself. Spans about two decades of her life, since childhood to early adulthood.

Also, The Alice Network tells the story of two women. One a spy in WWI and one a young girl in the late 1940s looking for her cousin who went missing in WWII. It was really good, has adventure, action and romance on the side. I think you'd like it!

message 25: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 26: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Door

message 27: by Ashlan (new)

Ashlan (captured_bookish) | 15 comments A really good one I recently read reminded me of this thread, it's called Year One by Nora Roberts. It's her first fantasy series but she really did a great job. The first book actually takes place a few years before the main character is born and the second ends when she is in her early teens. I highly recommend it if you want to watch the female protagonist grow.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert (ricroscupshigh) | 283 comments This is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn, by Aidan Chambers. - This is the story of Cordelia from the time she is 15 until she is 20. She is pregnant and plans to give this account to her daughter on her 16th birthday so that they can share their youth together. She chooses the old and famous Japanese book, 'The Pillow Book' by Sei Shonagon, as a model in order to include all kinds of things she has already written as well as the episodes and thoughts she has now as she compiles her book.

Notes from an Exhibition, by Patrick Gale. - Celebrated artist Rachel Kelly dies alone in her Penzance studio, after decades of struggling with the creative highs and devastating lows that have coloured her life. Her family gathers, each of them searching for answers. They reflect on lives shaped by the enigmatic Rachel - as artist, wife and mother - and on the ambiguous legacies she leaves them, of talent, torment and transcendent love.

Scandalous Risks, by Susan Howatch. - In 1963, when traditional values are coming under attack, a young woman in her twenties, Venetia Flaxton, becomes disastrously involved with her best friend's father, the powerful, dynamic but ultimately mysterious Dean of Starbridge Cathedral. Yet, as a married man and a senior Churchman, Aysgarth has nothing to offer her but an admiration which spirals out of control into an obsessive love.
As Aysgarth begins to take scandalous risks to further their friendship, pressures rise and the dangers multiply. Venetia finds herself trapped in a desperate web of love and lies from which it seems impossible to escape.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 30: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 7 comments Nadine wrote: "Rosa wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you looking for fiction, nonfiction, or both?"

I prefer fiction over nonfiction. Thank you for the recom..."

Nadine wrote: "Rosa wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you looking for fiction, nonfiction, or both?"

I prefer fiction over nonfiction. Thank you for the recom..."

perhaps
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Trenton Makes is definitely unique - the life journey of a woman who passes as a man for his/her whole life. Marries, has a kid....