Play Book Tag discussion

May 2017: 2004 > The Tale of Hill Top Farm: the cottage tales of Beatrix Potter - Susan Wittig Albert - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments The Tale of Hill Top Farm The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1) by Susan Wittig Albert

I was looking forward to reading this little mystery. I've always loved the art work of Beatrix Potter and I adored the movie Miss Potter. So, this seemed right up my alley. I was aware that it was a cozy and I was also aware that the animals would be able to "talk" to each other (ala Rita Mae Brown and the Sneaky Pie Brown mysteries). Well, I did enjoy this but not so much the talking animals, I guess I've outgrown that after reading a couple of the Sneaky Pie Brown novels. (I have thoroughly enjoyed Brown's other novels though - don't get me wrong!)

Bottom line - I loved the parts with Beatrix and the descriptions of the Lake Country and the people who lived in the area. A true delight. I just could have done without the talking animals and they're very anthropomorphic ways. In one section the rats were dressed in clothing of the day much as they would have been in Potter's artwork, I just didn't want it in the novel. Will I read more? It's possible, especially if our PBT group chooses a topic it will fit.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6300 comments Glad you enjoyed this . . . sometimes I think it is just nice to dip back a little into childhood, and it sounds like something like this would be just the ticket.